Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cricket in salad.

Options
  • 22-02-2017 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭

I found this lovely creature in a 'washed & ready to eat' :pac: salad bowl from Lidl.
    Now I bought it in Omagh, but reside in Leitrim so am a bit confused about which Lidl to contact, am having trouble getting in touch with the customer service branch for NI on 08000516363 as it seems to be constantly engaged ( I'm using 00448000516363, think that's correct?) I don't particularly want to post it on Twitter unless as a last resort as it's not really their fault, it's the supplier.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Tasty! I don't think 0800 numbers work internationally.

Perhaps send them a tweet requesting a geographic number or that they contact you?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lidl ROI/NI are the same holding company but if the ROI customer care are unable to help you'll have to deal with NI. Freephone numbers rarely work cross-border so you may need to go back to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Thanks for that, unfortunately it'll be a couple of weeks before I get back to Omagh. I did send on a form from the 'Contact us' section to the LIDL ROI page so if I don't hear back from them in a day or two I'll prob have to go the media route.

I did send on a form from the 'Contact us' section to the LIDL ROI page so if I don't hear back from them in a day or two I'll prob have to go the media route.
    Why didnt you try the "Contact Us" on the Lidl.co.uk page?

Why didnt you try the "Contact Us" on the Lidl.co.uk page?

I've tried it twice and it keeps telling me there's an error when submitting the data, despite cookies being allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think you should post on their FB page or something because there might be more dodgy salads floating around and they need to know that. Maybe try the Irish number and just saw you bought it in Omagh but can't get through on the line. I would be sickened for months after this. Ick!

Lux23 wrote: »
    I think you should post on their FB page or something because there might be more dodgy salads floating around and they need to know that. Maybe try the Irish number and just saw you bought it in Omagh but can't get through on the line. I would be sickened for months after this. Ick!

Irish number just says to use the website and contact them from the form there :pac: I finally got a contact form through on the UK site but if I get no reply by tomorrow I'll definitely tweet them and ask them to message me, prob better than causing panic. Like I know it wouldn't kill me but I'm put off salads for a while now!!

The salad was washed, it has an insect. Not a big problem. I would never trust that it was washed correctly from a factory.

When you take salads from your garden you wash and inspect. I don't understand why some people would be sick for weeks from seeing the insect.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

Same thing here, back in 2013. Supermarket couldn't have been less interested.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This isn't a major issue, it's not a major health issue or anything. If you are grossed out at the idea of a insect being in a salad now and then, then I suggest you don't Learn where veg comes from

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

In fairness. I think it's just more the surprise of seeing the insect. Most insects you wouldn't see daily or some people might have never seen one before. To see one fall out of your salad, and they look particularly large to be honest, would give you a bit of a creep out moment.

In saying that, I am nearly sure they are harmless and you could actually eat it if you fancied it, they are a high protein source. If you don't just chuck it out, take a picture if you want and just rewash and eat the salad.

Now if it was something like a rat or a more problematic type insect or an insect that might indicate a problem at the plant, as in a roach, worms or ants, then I wouldn't be as leaniant on the shop.

On a side note, insects are actually on par to become a future food, the protein is high and I think takes 90% less intensive farming for the same protein from animals.

I suppose they have to do something to make it more user friendly for us westerners, cause I wouldn't be particularly interested in eating my well done cricket steak if it looked like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Regardless of how nutritious bugs are, they should not be there.

Get onto them on Facebook (UK or NI page) and include batch numbers etc.

Also contact the local environmental health and consumer affairs/trading standards in NI as that is where you purchased it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

so if I don't hear back from them in a day or two I'll prob have to go the media route.

I utterly despise people who use blatant blackmail to get a tiny little issue resolved.

What is it £1 or £1.25

Has it "ruined your life"

Maybe get solicitiors on to get a mega compo claim and be like all the other scam artists.

Your contract is actually with the store you purchased it from - that's in Omagh. If you are soooooo affected, drive back there today and get your £1 back

Or make yourself look a right fool and "go public"

Mopst decent people, would simply get on with life.

The issue is that I did not want a cricket salad, sure it may be full of protein but it should not have been there in the first place! I'm well used to bugs on veg as I grow my own so maggots in turnips, caterpillars, spiders slugs etc are picked off.
    But if I buy a salad that is washed and ready to eat I want it to be as described, not containing a bug which means a breach of quality control. The ssalad in question is quite awkward to wash as it contains grated carrot and peppers which get soggy when being rinsed.
    When i say media route I said above
    but if I get no reply by tomorrow I'll definitely tweet them and ask them to message me,
    as their fb & twitter pages don't allow me to message them so get off your high horse there Delacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing at OP's request

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement