Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for bike hire - greenway

Options
  • 22-02-2017 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭

We're having a big (very big!) family get-together later in the year in Westport, and one of the things we'd like to do over the weekend is cycle the greenway.

I've googled it, and there seems to be a fair choice of hire places to choose from.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a company who'd have a large selection of decent bikes for both adults and kids, who'd facilitate a one-way cycle for some, and anything else I haven't thought of in advance?

I'm guessing there may be as many as 30 who'll want to do it (might be even more if the weather plays ball!)

Also, I'm assuming it'd be suitable for kids - how young would that go? Does anywhere have bikes with trailers?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge that's out there!

PS, not sure if recommendations are allowed publicly? PM's welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

I've only done it once and we used Clew Bay bike hire. We cycled from Westport to Mulranny where my wife and daughter dropped their bikes and got a lift back to Westport. Myself & two sons continued to Achill and got a lift back from there. An alternative is to get dropped to where you want to start and cycle back to Westport.

They seemed to have a good selection of bikes in the shop but i reckon for a crowd that size you should book well in advance. Excellent service and i'd highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    We're having a big (very big!) family get-together later in the year in Westport, and one of the things we'd like to do over the weekend is cycle the greenway.

I've googled it, and there seems to be a fair choice of hire places to choose from.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a company who'd have a large selection of decent bikes for both adults and kids, who'd facilitate a one-way cycle for some, and anything else I haven't thought of in advance?

I'm guessing there may be as many as 30 who'll want to do it (might be even more if the weather plays ball!)

Also, I'm assuming it'd be suitable for kids - how young would that go? Does anywhere have bikes with trailers?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge that's out there!

PS, not sure if recommendations are allowed publicly? PM's welcome.

Another option is the shorter greenway from Castlebar to Turlough house. Would highly recommend a visit to Turlough house!

Check out Castlebar bike clinic, they hire bikes for all age groups and trailers too for the little ones!

http://www.bike-clinic.com/rent-a-bike

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Another option is the shorter greenway from Castlebar to Turlough house. Would highly recommend a visit to Turlough house!

Check out Castlebar bike clinic, they hire bikes for all age groups and trailers too for the little ones!

http://www.bike-clinic.com/rent-a-bike
    Thanks - I know of that route (have done circuits of Lough Lannagh in the past!) - but we only have two days so trying to keep it simple, think we'll concentrate on the Westport one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Enjoy the trip.

Clew Bay Bikes also have trailer bikes for toddlers. Ideally two fit cyclists need for each of these, so that they can spell each other

If you are a reasonable sized party drop-offs and pickups can be arranged Newport, Mulranny, Achill.

Note the prevailing wind is SW. If there is a breeze about might make sense to start at Achill, altho the views are more scenic going the other way

Advertisement