Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eligible for any assistance?

Options
  • 22-02-2017 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Bit of a back story on this question:

After just under 6 years in my current job I recently secured a new role, starts in July ‘17

When I got the nod from the new company I tended my resignation at work, by the book and added an extra week for good measure. The plan was to head to a cheap & warm country and vamoose until the end of June as of my primary motivations for looking for a new job was to leave my current work environment. This environment could not be described as good and I felt I couldn’t wait here until July.

A week after resignation I broke bones in my goddam foot. So now I will be in plaster until the middle of March and, depending on how the bones have healed, in a boot until the end of that month. I spoke to my manager and proposed that, if they were having an issue finding a replacement, that I will be around until the end of March and could extend my notice until that time if they haven’t filled the vacancy.

She told me today they are 99% sure they have found someone.

So my question is: am I eligible for any assistance from the DSP while I am, literally, getting back on my feet? I live in a rural location and cannot drive until this cast comes off so, while I am applying for jobs, I cannot really attend interviews for several weeks.

I rang Citizens Info but they didn't really answer the question.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You can apply for illness benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

leblanc wrote: »
    After just under 6 years in my current job I recently secured a new role, starts in July ‘17
    while I am applying for jobs, I cannot really attend interviews for several weeks.

Do you not have a job? Your effectively saying your on sick leave during your notice

Not sure how that works but ring citizens information again would be a good start and if you aren't sure if the answer just ask for clarification

If you've already got a job, feet up (literally) and relax before you start

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you not have a job? Your effectively saying your on sick leave during your notice

Unpaid sick leave, I'd imagine. When s/he expected to be paid for a month or so longer, and then to head somewhere warm and cheap for a while.

OP I'm pretty sure you can get illness benefit while you're not able to work due to being ill: get your GP to fill in an MC1, you fill in the rest and post it to the (ie you don't have to drive in to the office).

Once you're fit to work again, you could possibly get job-seekers. Likely it will have to be reviewed by an inspector, and it's an unusual situation.

Advertisement