Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video of woman and van men (new thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

vicwatson wrote: »
    Woman cyclist given dogs abuse by scum in a van caught on helmet cam

Sorry it's only a link to the sun rag which has the video embedded

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2922701/female-cyclist-takes-revenge-on-disgusting-catcaller-by-ripping-off-his-wing-mirror-when-he-stops-at-red-light/

I am far from pc, feminised, white knight on a horse, whatever you want to call it but if she had decided to set that van on fire, i would have provided the fuel and matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

inforfun wrote: »
    I am far from pc, feminised, white knight on a horse, whatever you want to call it but if she had decided to set that van on fire, i would have provided the fuel and matches.

+1 what a bunch of assholes in the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Woman cyclist given dogs abuse by scum in a van caught on helmet cam

Sorry it's only a link to the sun rag which has the video embedded

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2922701/female-cyclist-takes-revenge-on-disgusting-catcaller-by-ripping-off-his-wing-mirror-when-he-stops-at-red-light/

Am I missing something here? All I see is some potentially offensive words said by the persons inside the van, followed by serious damage to property by the cyclist. It's pretty disgraceful behaviour by the cyclist actually. Scary that people think she had any right to rip off the wing mirror like that in response to some speech.

Am I missing something here? All I see is some potentially offensive words said by the persons inside the van, followed by serious damage to property by the cyclist. It's pretty disgraceful behaviour by the cyclist actually. Scary that people think she had any right to rip off the wing mirror like that in response to some speech.

Ah here. Specsavers sell hearing aids aswell now.

inforfun wrote: »
    I'm relatively pc, a feminist, liberal, snowflake etc. and I find the behaviour of the cyclist unacceptable. And I'm shocked that others think she had some kind of right to act in that manner. You may well be more white knight on a horse than you think.

• Advertisement

Ah here. Specsavers sell hearing aids aswell now.
    Nope. Sorry. Not an excuse for physical damage to property. This is stuff you learn in primary school, or even earlier. You do not respond to words with physical force towards persons or their property. Someone even went to the trouble of making a nursery rhyme about it. Stick and stones etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I think you're guilty of taking The Sun too seriously.

She didn't rip off the mirror, she pushed it in, much as the driver would if he was going through a tight gap. No damage. The poor girl couldn't rip off a Transit mirror any more than I could.

These sensationalist headlines are designed to reel in the people needing outrage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Ah stop now. They were angled to cut her off at the light. He tried to touch her ffs.
    Maybe her reaction was wrong but it certainly wasn't over the top.
    Hopefully that dickhead will not abuse the next person so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Falcon L wrote: »

She didn't rip off the mirror, she pushed it in, much as the driver would if he was going through a tight gap. No damage. The poor girl couldn't rip off a Transit mirror any more than I could.

These sensationalist headlines are designed to reel in the people needing outrage.

Eh.... think you need to watch it again till the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭rameire

Oh dear,
    me thinks you didnt watch the video or look at the pictures,
    dear oh deah.
    tut tut.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

OOps, Maybe I should then. :D

OK Guilty of thinking it was all over when they drove off. Still think she could have done the passenger for sexual assault though.

Here is the youtube version, subtitled.

Only one i saw, so dont know if the sun one is subtitled and same duration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

We have a troll folks.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Nope. Sorry. Not an excuse for physical damage to property. This is stuff you learn in primary school, or even earlier. You do not respond to words with physical force towards persons or their property. Someone even went to the trouble of making a nursery rhyme about it. Stick and stones etc.

you are probably "right" in relation to her behaviour not being acceptable. It's probably not acceptable from a legal point of view and it may have put her in even more danger, which is probably not the wisest more.
    However there is a difference between what the correct thing to do is legally and what the appropriate thing is from a moral or Karma standpoint.
    IMHO, and regardless of my disrespect for the law, I think that if she had of ripped of the wing mirror and smacked the pricks repeatedly with it, then that would have been the best out come......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The van lads got what they deserved. Fair play to her. Delighted it was captured on camera and has gone viral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

People on here will defend the van driver and passenger simply because the woman was a cyclist.

If they did the same to a pedestrian; try to cut them off, shout at them, reach out to grab them then nobody would blame the pedestrian for doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

pulling the van into her like that was very threatening...how many times have they done that? has it gone further than that before?

Well done girl, they got what they deserve. Scum, and potentially dangerous scum at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Or read the article attached - its not real - they were actors.

"However a witness has told The Sun that the incident may have been staged.
    A man was allegedly seen giving instructions to actors before the scene was filmed by a motorcyclist on Monday."

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

amcalester wrote: »
    People on here will defend the van driver and passenger simply because the woman was a cyclist.

:confused: I don't see anyone defending the van driver/passenger? Quite the opposite in fact?

• Advertisement

OK Guilty of thinking it was all over when they drove off. Still think she could have done the passenger for sexual assault though.
    Who
    what why where and how?
    you are probably "right" in relation to her behaviour not being acceptable. It's probably not acceptable from a legal point of view and it may have put her in even more danger, which is probably not the wisest more.
    However there is a difference between what the correct thing to do is legally and what the appropriate thing is from a moral or Karma standpoint.
    IMHO, and regardless of my disrespect for the law, I think that if she had of ripped of the wing mirror and smacked the pricks repeatedly with it, then that would have been the best out come......
    Utter nonsense. The nasty men said some nasty words. And in fact it's even debatable whether what they said was objectively nasty or not. Either way, the cyclist reacted in a completely unacceptable manner, whether from a legal or moral point of view. And the response on here is not much better. So far we've had support for arson, widespread support for damage to property, and an accusation of sexual assault. The mind truly boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Who
    what why where and how?

Utter nonsense. The nasty men said some nasty words. And in fact it's even debatable whether what they said was objectively nasty or not. Either way, the cyclist reacted in a completely unacceptable manner, whether from a legal or moral point of view. And the response on here is not much better. So far we've had support for arson, widespread support for damage to property, and an accusation of sexual assault. The mind truly boggles.

I wonder would you be so level-headed if you were put in that position yourself? Or if a female family member was put in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Please stop squabbling, and read the article. The whole thing was staged. You might as well start arguing about the car chases in movies, or whether Wylie Coyote has grounds to sue ACME. This is as real as those.

amcalester wrote: »
    Nobody on here is defending the van driver and passenger. Defending their right to speech without someone physically damaging their property maybe. But not defending what they actually said.

What people ARE defending is the unacceptable, and illegal, behaviour of the cyclist simply because she is a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

IrishZeus wrote: »
    :confused: I don't see anyone defending the van driver/passenger? Quite the opposite in fact?

You're right, poor choice of words on my part. More that no one would castigate a pedestrian for doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Who
    what why where and how?

the bolded part of your response is enough for me to decide that you really are not worth engaging with....

IrishZeus wrote: »
    I wonder would you be so level-headed if you were put in that position yourself? Or if a female family member was put in it?
    Maybe I would. Maybe I wouldn't. But I'd hope to god there is still some level headed minds around to make sure that a similar reaction is not supported by the law.
    seagull wrote: »
    Please stop squabbling, and read the article. The whole thing was staged. You might as well start arguing about the car chases in movies. This is as real as those.
    No. Whether it was staged or not, the reaction here is very real. And very worrying.

Who
    what why where and how?

At 29 seconds where she has to defend herself by batting away his hand. Picture that happening in the workplace and tell me sexual assault charges wouldn't be appropriate.

It may well have been staged, but it could happen any day, on any street.

the bolded part of your response is enough for me to decide that you really are not worth engaging with....
    The bolded part of your post below was enough for me to decide that you really are not worth engaging with...But I still did engage. Because discourse and reason are all we have. And without them, we are no better than what you wish for below, and what the cyclist exhibited at the end of the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Did anyone actually read the article with that video? It was staged.

At 29 seconds where she has to defend herself by batting away his hand. Picture that happening in the workplace and tell me sexual assault charges wouldn't be appropriate.

The person stretched out their hand towards the cyclist. But I'm struggling to see how it could be construed as sexual assault? Let alone even assault. I accept your point though, it was an potentially a physically aggressive act by the person in the van. The reaction of the cyclist was still highly disproportionate however imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

fullstop wrote: »

Now don't you come here adding your alternative facts, people here don't even read them.

Who cares? The reaction to the video is far more interesting than knowing whether it was staged or not. It could easily have been a real life scenario, hence the reaction.

I can honestly say i didnt as i had seen this clip earlier today on youtube.
    So i didnt bother opening the sun link

Now don't you come here adding your alternative facts, people here don't even read them.
    It's a dash cam thread. People watch videos and then have a chat about them. What happened in the video still happened, whether staged or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It's a dash cam thread. People watch videos and then have a chat about them. What happened in the video still happened, whether staged or not.

Nonsense.

The fact it's staged means the video itself doesn't belong in this thread.

Caliden wrote: »
    Nonsense.

It's shot on a cam isn't it? Albeit a helmet cam. Which I think has been allowed before. It being staged takes nothing away from the realistic nature of the video, as shown by the reaction to it by those who did not know it was staged. Stop whinging and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

It's shot on a cam isn't it? Albeit a helmet cam. Which I think has been allowed before. It being staged takes nothing away from the realistic nature of the video, as shown by the reaction to it by those who did not know it was staged. Stop whinging and move on.

Go watch a movie if you want staged material fella

Go watch a movie if you want staged material fella
    All the world's a stage. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I agree it could happen, it's just I've never seen it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Looks to me like somebody was caught hook, line and sinker and just doesn't want to admit that.

Nonsense.

Didn't realise it was staged when I posted it. Apologies for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is split out from the dashcam thread for the purpose of that single video in OP.

I will keep dashcam closed a little while so people can find this thread instead

I've edited the original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As far as we can tell this is a staged video so I'll close the thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement