Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attention! Anyone with an interest in supporting our own clubs…

• 22-02-2017 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

With the first games of the 2017 League of Ireland season starting this Friday night, I’m looking to get people interested in going to a game that might never have gone to one before and might be a bit unsure about it.

The idea for this came about from my own experience around this time last year. To give a little background, I’m originally from Kerry but have been living in various parts of Dublin the last 15 years or so. While I’ve always had an interest in soccer/football (call it what you will), attending club matches was never really a runner as I followed the Premier League, and financially and time-wise it was a big commitment to go to those games regularly (although I did manage a few). With growing interest in the Irish national team, and with a waning interest in the English club scene, the natural progression was to support an Irish club. As I had no local senior club in Kerry to support, I faced a bit of a dilemma. While Kerry last year put together a team to compete in the U17 League of Ireland, I had more of an interest in the senior side of the game. Despite them probably being the closest team to where I’m from, as a self-respecting and proud Kerryman, there was no way that I was going to support someone like C*rk City. Never happening. So living in Dublin I decided to pick a team close to where I’m living. That club happened to be St. Patrick’s Athletic.

So around this time last year, despite not knowing anyone that supported a League of Ireland team, let alone St. Pats, after work on Friday the 4th March 2016 I jumped into a taxi and asked the driver to take me to Richmond Park, Inchicore (I was such a noob at the time that I had to Google where St. Pats played their home games!). St Pats were at home to Galway that night, and I’ll always remember the nervous excitement around the place, and even in myself, going to the first home game of the season. Luckily enough, as I approached the ground I bumped into an elderly neighbour of mine, who just so happened to be a Pats fan! Thankfully, he showed me around and I got to stand with him and his friends on the terrace so that I didn’t feel out of place. St Pats lost that night, but I was hooked. I loved the atmosphere of watching live soccer/football under lights. “What atmosphere?”, I hear some opposition League of Ireland fans slagging, but believe me, it was a better atmosphere than watching Super Sunday on Sky Sports in a pub. I also loved supporting Irish soccer/football, in the hope of seeing the next Seamus Coleman/Shane Long/Chris Forrester/Daryl Horgan etc. All-in-all last season, I went to roughly 13 or 14 home games, including Europa League ties, as well as 1 away game on the train down to Limerick for the EA Sports Cup Final.

Anyway, TL;DR version – if anyone would like to attend a League of Ireland game this Friday night (the 24th) and hasn’t been to a game before, I’m willing to conduct a “meet-up” in the city centre (somewhere central like O’Connell St), hop on the Red Luas out to Drimnagh Luas stop and then walk a few minutes to Richmond Park. St Patrick’s Athletic are at home to Bray Wanderers (kick off 19:45) and it should be a good game. The aim would be to arrive early to show people around the area, the stadium and watch the game (€15 entrance fee).

For disclosure purposes, I’m not in any way affiliated with St Pats or anything. I’m just doing this off my own bat in the hope that I get a few more people following the LOI.

So if anyone is interested, please send me a PM or post below. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

Frogdog wrote: »
    With the first games of the 2017 League of Ireland season starting this Friday night, I’m looking to get people interested in going to a game that might never have gone to one before and might be a bit unsure about it.

The idea for this came about from my own experience around this time last year. To give a little background, I’m originally from Kerry but have been living in various parts of Dublin the last 15 years or so. While I’ve always had an interest in soccer/football (call it what you will), attending club matches was never really a runner as I followed the Premier League, and financially and time-wise it was a big commitment to go to those games regularly (although I did manage a few). With growing interest in the Irish national team, and with a waning interest in the English club scene, the natural progression was to support an Irish club. As I had no local senior club in Kerry to support, I faced a bit of a dilemma. While Kerry last year put together a team to compete in the U17 League of Ireland, I had more of an interest in the senior side of the game. Despite them probably being the closest team to where I’m from, as a self-respecting and proud Kerryman, there was no way that I was going to support someone like C*rk City. Never happening. So living in Dublin I decided to pick a team close to where I’m living. That club happened to be St. Patrick’s Athletic.

So around this time last year, despite not knowing anyone that supported a League of Ireland team, let alone St. Pats, after work on Friday the 4th March 2016 I jumped into a taxi and asked the driver to take me to Richmond Park, Inchicore (I was such a noob at the time that I had to Google where St. Pats played their home games!). St Pats were at home to Galway that night, and I’ll always remember the nervous excitement around the place, and even in myself, going to the first home game of the season. Luckily enough, as I approached the ground I bumped into an elderly neighbour of mine, who just so happened to be a Pats fan! Thankfully, he showed me around and I got to stand with him and his friends on the terrace so that I didn’t feel out of place. St Pats lost that night, but I was hooked. I loved the atmosphere of watching live soccer/football under lights. “What atmosphere?”, I hear some opposition League of Ireland fans slagging, but believe me, it was a better atmosphere than watching Super Sunday on Sky Sports in a pub. I also loved supporting Irish soccer/football, in the hope of seeing the next Seamus Coleman/Shane Long/Chris Forrester/Daryl Horgan etc. All-in-all last season, I went to roughly 13 or 14 home games, including Europa League ties, as well as 1 away game on the train down to Limerick for the EA Sports Cup Final.

Anyway, TL;DR version – if anyone would like to attend a League of Ireland game this Friday night (the 24th) and hasn’t been to a game before, I’m willing to conduct a “meet-up” in the city centre (somewhere central like O’Connell St), hop on the Red Luas out to Drimnagh Luas stop and then walk a few minutes to Richmond Park. St Patrick’s Athletic are at home to Bray Wanderers (kick off 19:45) and it should be a good game. The aim would be to arrive early to show people around the area, the stadium and watch the game (€15 entrance fee).

For disclosure purposes, I’m not in any way affiliated with St Pats or anything. I’m just doing this off my own bat in the hope that I get a few more people following the LOI.

So if anyone is interested, please send me a PM or post below. Thanks!

Fair play to you Frogdog, great idea. It wasn't a great season to start following the Saints, as we were really poor in a lot of games last season . Looking forward to the new season and new beginnings. It is still always better than sitting at home watching a game on the box .ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I would also recommend anyone with any interest in football to try to get to a game in Dalymount Park, a stadium steeped in Irish football history, as it will more than likely be the last season it exists in it's current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would also recommend anyone with any interest in football to try to get to a game in Dalymount Park, a stadium steeped in Irish football history, as it will more than likely be the last season it exists in it's current form.

And you'll be able to watch a great team with a lot of history.....................................................................Derry City.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

NIMAN wrote: »
    And you'll be able to watch a great team with a lot of history.....................................................................Derry City.

They're nearly as old as Dalymount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

NIMAN wrote: »

The one formed in late 2009?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Lads, let's not get into any bickering in here.

Great idea for a thread.

Might as well link to the new League of Ireland website too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yes i'd agree; although its not particularly gratifying stuff at the best of times.

Looking forward to seeing the new ground though, other than the jodi it's not in great nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

OP here. Thanks for the kind words/support.

Unfortunately I haven't had any interest or private messages, so I'm going to drive to the game tonight with my neighbours instead.

I might do something like this again, later in the year, with a bit more notice next time. I'll also advertise it in a few different places too to drum up a bit of support.

Come on the Saints! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Frogdog wrote: »
    OP here. Thanks for the kind words/support.

Unfortunately I haven't had any interest or private messages, so I'm going to drive to the game tonight with my neighbours instead.

I might do something like this again, later in the year, with a bit more notice next time. I'll also advertise it in a few different places too to drum up a bit of support.

Come on the Saints! :)

It's hard to get complete strangers on board. Try getting a couple of mates warmed up the idea instead. You could sell the concept of it as a night out, couple of pints with a match thrown in, something like the dogs. Maybe target a game like Dundalk as you know they'll play good football or Shamrock Rovers because there'll be a top atmosphere and fuller house. I've gotten a couple of old college mates interested this way and now they're semi regular. Try think a little more closer to your own circle my man. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Fair play OP. My story supporting the Saints is similar enough to your own. I was a fan of the English Premier League and Liverpool was my team. But my interest began to wane (I still watch the highlights and take an interest but I don't support anyone in England) and I found myself living in Inchicore about 10 years ago. I had gone to Bray Wanderers and Shamrock Rovers as a kid with my Dad but hadn't been to a LoI game in around 15 years at that point.

So I decided to head down on my own one Friday night. Paid in, sat down, enjoyed it. A few weeks later I thought I'd do it again. Enjoyed it again, but still at an emotional distance from the team and club. Two or three matches later we were playing Cork and I remember hopping off my seat and roaring at some foul that was committed by the away team. "Hold on", I thought "I'm hooked here"!

And that was it. I go to about 15 home games a season and have volunteered on the commercial/marketing side of things. I love it. And I can't wait to head down again tonight. There's something about seeing that big rectangle of grass under lights...

Come on you Saints!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Two or three matches later we were playing Cork and I remember hopping off my seat and roaring at some foul that was committed by the away team. "Hold on", I thought "I'm hooked here"!

And that was it. I go to about 15 home games a season and have volunteered on the commercial/marketing side of things. I love it. And I can't wait to head down again tonight. There's something about seeing that big rectangle of grass under lights...

Come on you Saints!!

That's fucking poetry right there.

Advertisement