Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatline.....

Options
  • 22-02-2017 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'm way off the mark here but it appears to me that after a couple years of consistent and structured training a lot of people hit a plateau across the swim, bike and run. It takes a lot of work and hours to squeeze more gains out of the bike in particular and swim if you're an adult onset swimmer. This got me wondering what level of effort is required to simply maintain your gains? I know it will depend on the distance you are racing but is there a minimum level of training that will have you keep what you have? Or is it like most things and simply needs to be viewed on a case by case basis?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

IMO its like as follows for me:

1. At the start training gains were large, as years pass the gains are less but they are still coming
    2. i dont think my training volume has changed much over the last 4 years (maybe i do a bit less now with the child this year) but the intensity that i work at now in nearly all sessions is way above what it was at the beginning and in the earlier years, i dont recall the last easy session i did. every session is hard in its own way either through intensity or duration so there is not much time wasted
    3. Up to the end of December 2016 from maybe August 2016 i did not much training and no structure at all (i tried to do an hour a day of run or bike but most was steady efforts), structure returned in January 2017 and after only 4 weeks training I did the Athy duathlon and in comparison to my Jan 2016 effort i think i was quicker (cant recall exactly) on a miserable wet day and beat a guy who beat me in the same race twice last year (him beating me by a decent margin in 2016 and me beating him by c10 secs in 2017 - cant read much into this as who knows how fit he was/is now)
    4. so i think for me gains do keep coming, mainly on the bike, and it did not take too much training to get race fit again after a pretty low training level for 5 months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    Maybe I'm way off the mark here but it appears to me that after a couple years of consistent and structured training a lot of people hit a plateau across the swim, bike and run. It takes a lot of work and hours to squeeze more gains out of the bike in particular and swim if you're an adult onset swimmer. This got me wondering what level of effort is required to simply maintain your gains? I know it will depend on the distance you are racing but is there a minimum level of training that will have you keep what you have? Or is it like most things and simply needs to be viewed on a case by case basis?

P.

Time to get yourself a TUE and go up a notch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Helps not having a second child.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

second child, only time x+x =3x.

broadly in agreement with your post PG, but i think part of the problem is people become very attached to the training plan that got them where they are, for the very reason you say, it brought them big gains.it's not just in training i can't remember the name of the trend but we studied it during the MBA i did,young companies who become so reliant on the procedures that got them to where they are(which cen be very successful) that fear of changing hastens their doom. people are very reluctant to change something that is working.

my run sessions had been the same for the last few years, long run sunday, easy mondy, easy wednesday, intervals friday repeat. this year it all changed, wednesday became another interval day, most weeks harder than fridays. at first i thought it was madness, was going to complain to TMWTP, thought i'd get injured, thought the other sessions wold sufer, but then, i thought of this
    hqdefault.jpg

and remembered something you said to me in Copenhagen or around then which was very true: for the amount of training you do how the hell are you so slow running. which was one of the more accurate observations i've gotten in a while. so i've rolled with it, and the improvement on the run has been immediate, no injuries(at thsi stage the run strength must be there anyway) and my easy/steady pace has moved up a gear , still no top end speed though :)

that's jsut an example though, an n=1 illustration. i've never read the book, been meaning to, but i saw this on an old bosses desk once and hte title has stuck with me since, a phrase i really believe in across everything in life
    WhatGotYouHere-by-MarshallGoldsmith.jpg

plus, in your circumstances, cut yourself a break. new baby, the added workloads of two kids, maintaining would be something to aim for for the next few months. 20 years time you'll look with pride at your kids, not the improvements you made in a 40km bike split in one season.

said to you before, i'm more impressed with the guys who work 50/60 hours a week, never miss time with their kids, and fit the 1 hour session into the only free hour they have of the day than i am with single folk who do 3 hours a day training and still have another 3 hours of free time . you scrimp and save your time to get the training in, and as much as we'd all love to improve, just holding what you;ve built up for a while is a win

oh, and that's totally not answering your question on how much minimum is needed. i;ev no idea on that, but i am interested to see the answers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'll reply in more detail later but just a couple of things:

1. The constrained training has had me thinking about this and I'm fine with reduced hours of between 7 to 10 hours a week depending on how things are at home
    2. I've noticed this trend based on my data for the last few years and also from people posting FTP & 400TT results on here over the last few years. Gains tend to be small unless you jump to hours that most married with kids folks don;t have available.

Or perhaps it's as mossy alluded to - different stimulus is required.

My reduced availability is what really drove the "what's the minimum required to hold what I have" :) However, I also believe that the other side of it is true for most people. Gains come fast with structure and consistency but level off and the next jump can be hard to achieve.

My reduced availability is what really drove the "what's the minimum required to hold what I have" :) .

i suppose you could expand on this a bit, as i think the minimum will vary for different people over the 3 sports. pretty sure for example you could run a lot less than me and hold your run fitness, others can hop out of the pool for 6 months jump back in and swim close to the same pace.

figuring out where the focus needs to be is likely the challenge. reducing all by the same % is probably not the best approach.

and with kids being involved, the allowed times for training plays a huge factor as well.

Here's my n=1 graph from 2011/2012 to 2016 for 400TT & FTP

R6Civm

Gains on the bike came quicker than the swim. Given I swim solo without a coach on deck that's no big surprise.

mossym wrote: »
    i suppose you could expand on this a bit, as i think the minimum will vary for different people over the 3 sports. pretty sure for example you could run a lot less than me and hold your run fitness, others can hop out of the pool for 6 months jump back in and swim close to the same pace.

figuring out where the focus needs to be is likely the challenge. reducing all by the same % is probably not the best approach.

and with kids being involved, the allowed times for training plays a huge factor as well.

I didn't really want to make this about me but given the examples you give I guess it all depends on peoples strengths and weaknesses

I didn't really want to make this about me but given the examples you give I guess it all depends on peoples strengths and weaknesses

sorry, wasn't trying to make it about you, but it just served as a good example :)

at least you have one you could potentially look at :)

it's a good topic, one i'm definitely interested in.

• Advertisement

sorry, wasn't trying to make it about you, but it just served as a good example :)

at least you have one you could potentially look at :)

it's a good topic, one i'm definitely interested in.

One what?

Hard not to make it about me when I started the thread and very difficult to talk in the abstract about some of this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

At my current weight class I read fatline for the title...
    and i guess maybe 80% should read it the same way for the real thread title ;-)

One what?

Hard not to make it about me when I started the thread and very difficult to talk in the abstract about some of this stuff

strength = running ;)

some don't have one they can reduce more than the others. for them a flat reduction across all 3 and picking the key sessions probably works best. then it comes into frequency and duration questions, hard to get away from mileage for running, but 2 to 3 short swims might be enough to sustain, then it becomes a question whether 2 45 minute or 3 30 minute swims are easier for a person to do. same time, but much different load on the person in terms of commitment.

Here's my n=1 graph from 2011/2012 to 2016 for 400TT & FTP

Gains on the bike came quicker than the swim. Given I swim solo without a coach on deck that's no big surprise.

graph not working btw

peter kern wrote: »
    At my current weight class I read fatline for the title...
    and i guess maybe 80% should read it the same way for the real thread title ;-)

i'd be very surprised if that's all the insight you had to offer to this topic peter, even at a high level(given an understanding you're running a business and can't divulge everything here :) )

graph not working btw

Is this:

Maybe this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Is this:

No.

the link works.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

said to you before, i'm more impressed with the guys who work 50/60 hours a week, never miss time with their kids, and fit the 1 hour session into the only free hour they have of the day than i am with single folk who do 3 hours a day training and still have another 3 hours of free time . you scrimp and save your time to get the training in, and as much as we'd all love to improve, just holding what you;ve built up for a while is a win

I'd have equal respect for both as you've described two driven individuals but I'd have questions....

Unless I was running my own business or working as a junior doctor, I'd be questioning how a 60 hour work week has become the norm. Fine for short periods but generally productivity starts to slip after 8 hours and you're not going to get the same benefit from a session as someone who's fresh. Similarly, a hard session affects productivity and you begin the following day worse than the previous.

What in the name of God do you need three hours free time a day for!?!? Get back on the bike! :)

oh, and that's totally not answering your question on how much minimum is needed. i;ev no idea on that, but i am interested to see the answers wink.png
    maintance
    generally the rule of thumb would be you keep one sport going and then it will be easy to go back (ideally running which gives the best bang for the buck, and a bit of swimming)

so with 10 hours 6 hours runing 2.5 hour swimmng 1.5 cycling
    or 4.5 1.5 1 would get you ready for everthing in the future and you could shave of half an hour of each sport. and that should help you to maintain a good base level.

re flatlining i think to be honest talent is a factor. and recovery time.
    and then traiing, of course trainig structure is important but at the same time the shorter the distance the more talent you need.
    and without enough recovery time its tough and often i do recomend single sport for time crunched athletes.
    It might be cool to have 3 kids work 60 hours and train for an ironman and train the 1 hour you have time but unless you have super talent, its in my mind a bit silly to bang your head against a wall ( of course some people can train well with 5 hours sleep but most people cant )
    i call it more dilusional for 80 % of ahtletes and for the people that wokrs they have usualy been excellent athtletes as kids.
    those people i would alwyas tell rahter do one sport , rather than being super medicore at all 3 .

I had a look the other day at the guy that won Naas duathlon last sunday run something like a 4.26 marathon 2010 i think it was so you would hardly say this guy is stagnating when you follow his progress. so n a way the intial statement that after 1-2 years people flatline is not really right

then look at zico rather than complaining he kept trainig year after year and every year he gets a tiny bit better. and while this is quite understadable for runing its not that easy for swimming or running and being stubborn helps
    same for bmcs swiming flatlined for many years swimmng and last year made a jump.
    one big reason of flatlining is not getting enough rest you can only burn the candle at one end. but if you dont get enough rest you usually have 1-2 good years but then one burnes out, they burn out then motivation suffers and they give in.

I would also try to make sure athletes wait a bit to have those 2 years i have one athlete who i think can be very good in 4 years time this year and next year i certainly dont look for max improvement. I am looking to the the basics right and we usually do every week 1 or 2 technique sessions
    with another guy that had flatlined and was very good a few years ago its similar we are taking the run completly apart I am trying to change the swim technique a bit ( iam not sure if that will work as i only see that guy 7 hours every 4 weeks. but again my goal is not max improvement this year, even though the run is starting to improve its more like run to walk before you run.
    and thats the thing if you swimm ****ty of course you are going to flatline earlier.
    can training make a change the Kilkee course record holder ( gavin n) when he changed coach in 2010 or so suddently improve 40 or so sec in a short time over 10 k and that was after running many years.
    so a little brainstorm at the end of the day its a super complex subject and is very individual and sometimes you have to keep going and do the same thing again and it will work and sometimes you have to change.

and i guess the key points
    are
    talent
    rest
    get the basics right
    hurry slowly ( organic growth rather than using the sledge hammer something I have learned over the years of coaching)
    and a good training structure

and running wise I cant think of a bigger one than weight loss ....

• Advertisement

MalDoc wrote: »
    I'd have equal respect for both as you've described two driven individuals but I'd have questions....

Unless I was running my own business or working as a junior doctor, I'd be questioning how a 60 hour work week has become the norm. Fine for short periods but generally productivity starts to slip after 8 hours and you're not going to get the same benefit from a session as someone who's fresh. Similarly, a hard session affects productivity and you begin the following day worse than the previous.

What in the name of God do you need three hours free time a day for!?!? Get back on the bike! :)

more respect for one doesn't mean little or no respect for the other. :)

start your day with calls to asia, finish it with calls to the US and time differences make long days a regular happening. add on 2 kids to that and believe me i don't have 3 extra free hours a day after training

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

MalDoc wrote: »

50-60 hour weeks are a fact of life in some industries and at some levels. Part of the job. When I was younger I would have thought he same as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    50-60 hour weeks are a fact of life in some industries and at some levels. Part of the job. When I was younger I would have thought he same as you.

Unless you are in the public sector.....

I would consider YOY marginal improvements a success for someone with a busy life outside of tri

Unless you are in the public sector.....

I would consider YOY marginal improvements a success for someone with a busy life outside of tri

of course one has to agree with that. at the end of the day doing something to stay fit is a huge success .

BMc has a tandem and goes out with kids i belive so you can train with kids to you just have to think a bit.

I can never undestand why people who live in blanchertstown etc would not want to cycle to work and save time and get fit ...

there is still a few people that do very well with super busy live styles
    sam gyde build a few companies and is a multi milioner
    damien angus woks a serious corparate job and has with kids
    both won kona age group
    rachel joyce was in that group when she started triathlon ( law firm )
    meridith kessler
    sarah pampino both investment banking.
    I guess at the end of the day the cream does rise to the top ...
    this alveres guy from mexico has done 100 ironman and is ceo of a multi bilion company

tunney wrote: »

but when were you happier ...
    when you had time to train and still were not poor .
    or when you can watch your bank account and the scale go up every month ...

but when were you happier ...
    when you had time to train and still were not poor .
    or when you can watch your bank account and the scale go up every month ...

unfortunately it's irrelevant. even if you are happier working less hours and getting paid less, any private company i've seen expects output and responsibility to increase with seniority (tenure, not rank). companies move out those that don't progress as it's cheaper to hire a new grad who will.

so while i agree in part with your argument that those time pressed shouldn't go long Peter, it takes on a different angle when scaling back the work hours isn't an option, some judge performance on return for training time, not absolute performance.

which i think relates back to gibbo's original question, which i read as a desire for continued self improvement. may be wrong there though

it would be nice to have a protected job where work can take back seat for a few months prior , but it's not always the case

which i read as a desire for continued self improvement

i guess the secret of self improvement is to be happier with less.

i guess the secret of self improvement is to be happier with less.

which i guess brings us full circle to gibbo's original question, how to hold what you have with a lot less time so you can be happy

and here the main question is how do you approach it from the start.

and i think we only have to look at junior sports the one that already go flat out at 13 ( usually pushed by parents ) usually burn out before they make it to the senior ranks and the ones that train within themsleves as juniors tend to have a longer livespan and tend to go further in the sport .

its fantasticly rare that athletes win a junior ,under 23 and senoir world title ( the brownlees and i think 2 more atletes have done that in tri )
    so that kind of shoes us if you want flatline later the more you built a base before you really go for it usualy the further you go.
    which is why would always tell people to wait with doing an ironman before they are ready and built their base. and then you use those 1 or 2 years when you are ready but have a base to improve,

bit like in a race you start too quick you usually finish slower.
    and one tends to be happier with a stronger finish than a strong start and dying at the end .

and then the longer you have built your base the easier it is to maintain a solid level
    easy come easy go ....

on firday i spoke to a guy that has done the Ras 8 times now for quite a few years he says he is lucky if he does 50 k on the bike a week with kids and work
    he still does very well in duathlons ( and still is super skinny so he still runs well on little running)

if you have only trained 3 years and are not at prime weight you will lose the ganes form 1 or 2 hard years quicker and if your biomechanics is poor and then you try to do killer sesions in the little time you have than we see people spend more time with the man with the tan....

• Advertisement

which i guess brings us full circle to gibbo's original question, how to hold what you have with a lot less time so you can be happy

http://www.bento.de/sport/nordische-skiweltmeisterschaften-teilnehmer-aus-venezuela-steht-zum-ersten-mal-auf-skiern-1211043/#refsponi

that guy looks happy at the end ;-)

( watch the video a bit down the text)

Advertisement