Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatline.....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

mossym wrote: »
    unfortunately it's irrelevant. even if you are happier working less hours and getting paid less, any private company i've seen expects output and responsibility to increase with seniority (tenure, not rank). companies move out those that don't progress as it's cheaper to hire a new grad who will.

Working 50/60 hours a week is still a choice. Working in an industry where that is the norm is a choice as well. There are plenty of 50 year olds across many walks of life that work 9-5 (or less) and no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

which i guess brings us full circle to gibbo's original question, how to hold what you have with a lot less time so you can be happy

Reduce your expectations. You cannot "hold on to" the levels of where you were at 4,5,6 sessions a week with just a single session per week. Instead of maintaining what you think you should be maintaining, maintain what you are now. Never know, you might pleasantly surprise yourself at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I think this thread could also be used as the answer to the question "why do so many people disappear from triathlon as quickly as they appear in the first place".... triathlon is a different beast from pure running or other single sports in that there is a relatively high training load required to even become average. Conversely, you can run very well off 7 or 8 hours per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

more respect for one doesn't mean little or no respect for the other. :)

start your day with calls to asia, finish it with calls to the US and time differences make long days a regular happening. add on 2 kids to that and believe me i don't have 3 extra free hours a day after training

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply you had little or no respect for one.

That's a difficult schedule without kids.
    Fair dues for getting anything done.
    Without getting too personal or straying too far from the original topic, are we talking daily calls or once/twice a week?
    The latter I had to tolerate for a few months but there was always an end in sight so manageable.
    It's unreasonable for any company to expect that for prolonged periods in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

tunney wrote: »
    50-60 hour weeks are a fact of life in some industries and at some levels. Part of the job. When I was younger I would have thought he same as you.

It's definitely a culture in some companies, no denying that. I think the first 6 months in any role though dictates what becomes normal.
    If you set out your stall early, make lunchtime your own, leave on time on a Friday etc., people accept it.
    It's very hard reverse it if you start with long hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

RJM85 wrote: »
    Working 50/60 hours a week is still a choice. Working in an industry where that is the norm is a choice as well. There are plenty of 50 year olds across many walks of life that work 9-5 (or less) and no more.

yup, of course there are. just like there are plenty of 50 year olds who work longer hours too, and lots of 23 year olds who do too. the choice of industry is always yours, the choice of hours necessary for that industry often isn't. if a guard/nurse/ambulance river came in saying they were struggling with training cause he had to work nights regularly would the advice be to only work 9 to 5?

saying a job requires 50 to 60 hours doesn't necessarily mean that's a complaint. i left the job that requires that a year ago. now i'm back. if i hated it that much i wouldn;t have come back. the 50/60 hours came up as part of the discussion on time limits on training.
    at the end of the day, without offending anyone intentionally, no-one on here can really say traithlon is more than a hobby. it's a fairly invasive hobby in how it can affect your lifestyle, but no-one here is going pro so a living has to be made, if that is a choice to work in an industry that demands 50 to 70 hours work and the person is happy to do it, and the priorities put kids/family and job ahead of triathlon, that doesn't mean they don't want to take the available time they have to train and use it as efficiently as possible.
    MalDoc wrote: »
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply you had little or no respect for one.

That's a difficult schedule without kids.
    Fair dues for getting anything done.
    Without getting too personal or straying too far from the original topic, are we talking daily calls or once/twice a week?
    The latter I had to tolerate for a few months but there was always an end in sight so manageable.
    It's unreasonable for any company to expect that for prolonged periods in my opinion.

how many companies have you worked for? in what industries? we're getting off topic here, but early morning calls/late evening calls, travelling for a week once a month or more is pretty standard in most of the industries I've worked across, we get fairly lucky in Europe, we're the middle time zone, the japan and china guys i work with get shafted as any call with the US tends to be 0 or 11 at night for them

some of the calls are weekly, some are impromptu. if i can do a call at 9pm but that means i can bring my little one swimming at 6pm before she goes to bed and then do the call that's an easy choice.
    MalDoc wrote: »
    It's definitely a culture in some companies, no denying that. I think the first 6 months in any role though dictates what becomes normal.
    If you set out your stall early, make lunchtime your own, leave on time on a Friday etc., people accept it.
    It's very hard reverse it if you start with long hours.

that is a very role, company and sector dependent set of statements. may be true for some, but far from realistic to a lot . anyone dealing with global markets, has, out of necessity, to be dealing with each market.

any time i've seen time crunched training being discussed before it's gone the same way as this one. person says i only have x amount of time to train. everyone dissects their lifestyle to find them more time. it's like the only solution to how to train more effectively is to train more. the answer to how do i prove in x can usually be train more. the answer to the question how do i train best without training more cannot be train more.

and its not even really getting to gibbo's question about accepting no improvement but what do you need to just to stand still. especially given the plateau affect he described where a big increase may be required to change things. if the time jsut isn't there for that, pulling apart someones day to find the time isn't always the answer

shotgun and peter have made very valid statements about setting your expectations properly, which make a lot of sense.

This is a good thread and some interesting stuff in it. Lets bring it back to maintenance then.

Maintenance for a level of run fitness?
    Maintenance for a level of swim fitness?
    Maintenance for a level of bike fitness?
    Maintenance for a level of race performance?
    Maintenance for a level of core strength?

How much of a base do you need for each of these? Does swimming require less of a base and more technical competence? Does the thousands of bike/run kms banked stand to you when you need to drop it to once a week?

Thing about when you consider maintenance is that you are "maintaining" a reduced volume as apposed to effort. In my case and I guess with most, this also entails weight gain. So is that also up for discussion?

If you kill X% of volume, do you make suitable adjustments to eating habilts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I would also throw in a thought about the muscle memory aspect. Or possibly a mental aspect.

Years of structured training has to have a long term effect on the body - it has gradually raised the threshold for what the body can accomplish to a level over time that can with relative ease be reachieved. I'm thinking of a form of battery memory except in reverse.

A long term trained body can break for much longer than someone who has only a short period of training and reattain the level of fitness relatively quickly. As I mention this *may* be more of a mental thing than necessarily physiological. With this in mind I believe it will take far less than anticipated for the body to maintain a level of fitness from which you can spring back via an intensive period.

At this stage I've guessing Gibbo could cut training volume by 50% for a few months and lose far less fitness (likely lose some sharpness and power) than expected. The break may even be conducive to a rebound when training stimuli are reintroduced leading to that marginal gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

This thread has slightly gone OT but its a decent discussion and there has not been many around here for a while.

Very compartmentalized below but you get the idea of a typical week.
    168hrs in a week
    49hrs sleeping (assuming 7hrs a day to stay healthy)
    70hrs working
    20hrs studying (rising to 30hrs from Sept with lectures)
    8hrs - kids football training/matches, swimming, athletics, girl guides activities (this time frees up over Summer)
    21hrs for family fun/relaxation/limited exercise

I am assuming many would be in a similar position (maybe not) the question is would you really want to give up half the 21hrs to train or do something more with that time that fits into life priorities. BTW the above is a conscious choice i have made and not for everyone, it's one of the main reasons i have taken a step back from the sport for a few years.

I had misplaced ideas on KQ 6 years ago especially when i am not naturally gifted nor can i afford to train 20hr+ weeks consistently for the year (i believe this type of commitment is generally needed) Am i bitter about it, no, am i happy with my final year and the results, yes it was enjoyable.

Set your expectations and base them on reality, above all be happy with those expectations or turn your energy elsewhere. Burning the candle at both ends will lead to sub standard results and a lack of enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm coming into year 2 to the sport (with no significant background in any discipline), but following this thread with interest as I'm finding work/ life/ training balance hard enough to balance, and that's as definite middle of the pack fodder. Recently been reassessing my goals for the year to try and be more realistic in my ambitions in light of all that.

To follow up on what EC1000 said - a change of job/ location, and I think I would have to consider concentrating on one discipline/ sport - I have great access to a pool/ gym, showers in work, run routes etc, which really contributes to managing the balance at the moment being honest. I'm not good enough/ committed enough to make work choices purely on that.

I definitely have been neglecting core work, and really going to have to swap out a run and/or bike session for that, as getting regular niggles from running that can be tied back to core/ glutes/ hips weaknesses. It's just another consideration I'm having to make.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »

To follow up on what EC1000 said - a change of job/ location, and I think I would have to consider concentrating on one discipline/ sport - I have great access to a pool/ gym, showers in work, run routes etc, which really contributes to managing the balance at the moment being honest. I'm not good enough/ committed enough to make work choices purely on that.

don't underestimate how useful this is. dedication when the training facilities are easy and fit neatly into your schedule is easy. when they are not you can figure out how dedicated you really are. up until december 2015 i could swim every rmoning before work, run at lunch and shower+eat afterwards. , and although the long hours were there i had those two slots for traning

2016 i moved to a job where i couldn't swmn in the mornings any more, was gone before 7, home after 7, no showers at work so running was difficult at best, impossible at times, so often 7pm was the first slot i had available to train and i might still have a run and swim to do. suffice to say i missed more sessions last eyar than i did in the 3 years before that combined. not the best leadin to my first IM by any means.

i'm not back at the first job, and even though i've still got long hours it's a lot more managable, i can swim pre work, run at lunch again, and the number of missed sessions has dropped back again. i don't think i would be putting in another year like i did last year, in fact i know i wouldn't.

training played no part in myu decision to move back, i'd probably have done it if stopping training was one of the conditions, luckily it didn't come to that :). but sometimes what we overread our dedication in getting the training done when in reality it's because the training slots/availability work out in an easy way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

don't underestimate how useful this is. dedication when the training facilities are easy and fit neatly into your schedule is easy. when they are not you can figure out how dedicated you really are. up until december 2015 i could swim every rmoning before work, run at lunch and shower+eat afterwards. , and although the long hours were there i had those two slots for traning
    Oh I definitely appreciate it. I'd go as far as to say I wouldn't fit the swimming in, and therefore triathlon, without the easy pool access. It's kinda a win win - I beat the traffic, get the session in, with zero family impact.

I think I could incorporate time on the bike (albeit less "training") and running into commuting, but I'd struggle to fit in swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

2016 i moved to a job where i couldn't swmn in the mornings any more, was gone before 7, home after 7, no showers at work so running was difficult at best, impossible at times, so often 7pm was the first slot i had available to train and i might still have a run and swim to do. suffice to say i missed more sessions last eyar than i did in the 3 years before that combined. not the best leadin to my first IM by any means.

i'm not back at the first job, and even though i've still got long hours it's a lot more managable, i can swim pre work, run at lunch again, and the number of missed sessions has dropped back again. i don't think i would be putting in another year like i did last year, in fact i know i wouldn't.

training played no part in myu decision to move back, i'd probably have done it if stopping training was one of the conditions, luckily it didn't come to that :). but sometimes what we overread our dedication in getting the training done when in reality it's because the training slots/availability work out in an easy way

I recently turned down a new job and one of the deciding factors was that I couldn't make it work swim wise. There were no opportunities for swimming before or after work due to the location. That might sound daft but being able to swim is important to me and not just from a fitness perspective, it's also important mentally. I find it's a great release and because my kids swim I can link in with their racing.

griffin100 wrote: »
    I recently turned down a new job and one of the deciding factors was that I couldn't make it work swim wise. There were no opportunities for swimming before or after work due to the location. That might sound daft but being able to swim is important to me and not just from a fitness perspective, it's also important mentally. I find it's a great release and because my kids swim I can link in with their racing.

i'd have felt the same if you weren't allowed make your own coffee.:)

it was never going to come to no training in fairness. but there is a big difference between proper structured 3 sports training (well 1 sport 3 legs) and doing teh past times you love. i'd have given up the structured stuff for better family life, i wouldn't have stepped back from the sports completely

it's a hugely individual choice, what you are willing to give up, what the priorities are, what gets cut and what is vital.

This is a good thread and some interesting stuff in it. Lets bring it back to maintenance then.

How much of a base do you need for each of these? Does swimming require less of a base and more technical competence? Does the thousands of bike/run kms banked stand to you when you need to drop it to once a week?

Thing about when you consider maintenance is that you are "maintaining" a reduced volume as apposed to effort. In my case and I guess with most, this also entails weight gain. So is that also up for discussion?

this is getting lost in the noise again, and it's teh most useful post in a while. the bit about weight gain i hadn't even thought of. i can quite easily gain weight while full training without overdoing it too bad on poor food. reduced training would make it incredibly hard to hit reasonable weight. however stricter diet is a more time/effort managable sacrifice than training time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

this would be very different for gibbo than it would be for tango
    the only additional point i would make is that you dont have to seperate it into 5 points as race performance and core strenght mainatnace can be integrated in the training for most people.
    I would say fundamentaly mainatance is aoubt 2 sports runing for fintess and working on your weakest sport.

and of course weight dicipline is key.

the problem whith this thread is since tri is one sport thats made of 3 sports you cant really write a blueprint what should be done
    for manintance there is only a few
    facts
    runing gives you the best bang for value
    and kind of try to work on your weakness .
    cycling is the sport one usually builts up the fastest so that usally can be negelcted the most .
    and with swiming the one thing i do realise if people learn to swim proper from the beginning thats a big plus( even if its in the late 40s ) . iam not talking drills per se but stroke awarenss . to get an understanding what you are supposed to do.

and about efficney of training get a really good coach and at a certain level of senority working 70 hours you should be able to spend big money on it you really want to be efficient...
    and for 50 euro a month you wont get a good coach ....
    you wont even get a good prescriber.
    and to be fair when it comes to trainig with little hours ( like him or not, and i happen to not like him ) but matt dixsons approach certainly is one of the better ones in that area ,bellow the full Ironman.
    and of curse some people can have the best coach in the world and they still wont get good ....

So, on maintenance. I always wondered how Tango could smash out Shark times off of one swim a week?! I figured childhood learners sub 20 1500 swim types just never quite lose it. I also made the assumption that an adult learner had to keep it up or lose it, akin to learning a new language.

I’m one of the former. From 2010-2013 I swam about as much as your average AG triathlete. 3 times a week etc... My 6 month volume leading up to an IM would typically be 230km pool and 30km OW or 80 total swims (3.3k average session). 2014-2015 no triathlons and maybe a single 3k swim session every week or two. Last year the 6 months leading up to Challenge Galway was just 46k pool, no OW and about 22 swims (2k average session) but the swim went better than expected.
    My CSS (Threshold) pace when fit was about 1:31-1:33 and I swam 58-60 for the earlier IMs.

June last year I smashed my shoulder and that all but put an end to the year (bar a little race with teammates in August). Zero swimming. I only got back in the pool in January and have completed 4 swims. The first one was just trying not to drown, then the next 3 (numbers below) were a short 1.8k session. The times are nothing to write home about but I honestly thought that given the lack of volume over 3 years culminating in 6 months complete absence, I would need to learn to swim again. I was happy just to be swimming a short set!

Thing is, although I was red faced at the end of the sets 1) There is a small average improvement in just 3 swims and 2) The average pace is 1:35-1:42, not a million miles from my peak fitness CSS.

Compared with running (an equal story of absence) this is much closer to when I was fit. Running base aerobic pace has dropped from 4:40-4:50 to 5:55-6:05!! That’s a whopping difference.

I am comparing swim threshold base and run base pace but it’s relatively the same basis of comparison. I just seem to have slipped much more with running than swimming. Odd, since I have been running longer and more often?!

Do you lose running fitness faster than swimming? Is the 8-10kg weight gain the real factor with the slower running as it hardly effects swimming? In terms of maintenance I actually feel like 1 swim a week will keep me both sane and able to ramp up quickly if needed. 1 run a week (my average this year) is getting me nowhere, backwards if anything!

Swimming 2x4, 2x2, 4x1 w/60, 30, 15s rests

23/1
    2x400 in 7:11, 6:54
    3x200 in 3:22, 3:31, 3:18
    4x100 in 1:37, 1:39, 1:36, 1:36

15/2
    2x400 in 6:56, 6:23
    3x200 in 3:07, 3:12, 3:14
    4x100 in 1:34, 1:35, 1:38, 1:36

20/2
    2x400 in 6:39, 6:31
    3x200 in 3:12, 3:13, 3:18
    4x100 in 1:33, 1:36, 1:36, 1:34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Running is definitely all factoring on the weight. Watch the trend as you lose weight, those paces will just tumble far quicker than just aerobic improvements.

At least that's what I'm praying for myself!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I wanted to engage a bit earlier, but it has to do with a bit of a lack of time so getting the training in always seemed to prevail :) First and foremost, I think the approach suggested is wrong. While I really love this hobby of ours, it's just one part of our life and while it might mean more or less for any of us I would think that for most their job (so something that also pays for this hobby) and family life are more important than any hobby. That being said, I think the question shouldn't be "how much can I get away to flatline", but "how can I make the most of time I have available/am willing to spend on tri". Triathlon is one of the best hobbies one can have IMO, it keeps you decently healthy, gives you goals outside of regular "boring" life goals, takes your mind of regular stuff and is quite engaging making people more self aware, semiconscious and confident, but at the same time isn't something that pays the bills for most of us and just rarely provides moments to remember (95+% of your trainings you won't remember in 2 years time) - although really engaging I also have to constantly remind myself of that, especially when I see some new toys available out there........

When it comes to getting the most out time available I always thought core and stretching can be incorporated in day-to-day life so I never included that in "tri planning". I would also agree that running is hardest to come back to which is why I would keep up with most of my running sessions. While cycling is definitely not my strong point, far from it, if needed this seems to be the easiest one to "power train for" meaning you can simply invest xy hours and get a really decent improvement no matter how long you haven't done it. That being said, since cycling is big part of any Tri race I would still try to get 2 shorter sessions per week on most weeks and make a monthly goal to go out for 3+ hours if possible. Swimming is probably quite similar to cycling in a sense you get back fairly quickly since it's quite technical one so I would go at it whenever possible, if even for up to 30 mins. It will help you retain technique while it's also a fantastic cross-train for running part :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

pgibbo wrote: »
    It takes a lot of work and hours to squeeze more gains out of the bike in particular and swim if you're an adult onset swimmer.

My 2c on the swim...

The vast majority of triathlete adult onset swimmers don't need any more hours to improve their swimming dramatically. If three hours a week are all you have available for swimming, make the most of them. Instead of equating improvement with distance/volume (as you might correctly do for the bike/run), you'd be better off with sets of three structured hours as follows:

1. Short fast intervals (50-100m sprints), including a lot of flat out stuff.
    2. Drills, done at a comfortable pace with an emphasis towards swimming as streamline and long as possible.
    3. Medium distance intervals (100m-400m), holding good form throughout.

Throw in the odd 1,500 or IM TT if you like, but in general stay away from long steady swims. Swimming is a very technical sport- power and strength will only take you so far, the real benefit is in using that power while working with the water. Swimming fast will teach you that you need good form to swim fast. If you can learn good form over shorter sets, you'll easily swim a lot faster during distance races.

With one or two exceptions, anyone on this forum who is plateauing in their swim times doesn't need extra hours or work to dramatically improve, they need to study how to swim. I watched Amy Wolfe swim a 19:27 1,500 at the weekend, and she didn't even look like she was working, hardly causing a splash while slower swimmers around her looked like they were putting in a lot more effort. If you can get to any of the high performance pools, watch how the HP guys swim. Ditto kids galas, they are an education in themselves. When you see a skinny 12-year old girl swimming close to 5 mins for a 400 free, you start to realise just how much poor technique is causing that flatline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

great points Kurt, i am panicking a bit at how slow i am at the moment in the pool (i didnt swim last year at all), but just by keeping it simple as you said i should be able to build back up to where i want to be by August

its not that odd since swimming is much more technique based
    and you put on weight so thats about 4 sec per kg a km ( in the swim it can be an advantage to put on weight ....) so 10 kg is easily 35 sec a k. slower and in the swim that comes closer to swimming with a wetsuit compared to race weight ....
    and in your case i have seen how quickly you get your swim back but that is not standard it would take me much longer.

So, on maintenance. I always wondered how Tango could smash out Shark times off of one swim a week?! I figured childhood learners sub 20 1500 swim types just never quite lose it. I also made the assumption that an adult learner had to keep it up or lose it, akin to learning a new language.

I’m one of the former. From 2010-2013 I swam about as much as your average AG triathlete. 3 times a week etc... My 6 month volume leading up to an IM would typically be 230km pool and 30km OW or 80 total swims (3.3k average session). 2014-2015 no triathlons and maybe a single 3k swim session every week or two. Last year the 6 months leading up to Challenge Galway was just 46k pool, no OW and about 22 swims (2k average session) but the swim went better than expected.
    My CSS (Threshold) pace when fit was about 1:31-1:33 and I swam 58-60 for the earlier IMs.

June last year I smashed my shoulder and that all but put an end to the year (bar a little race with teammates in August). Zero swimming. I only got back in the pool in January and have completed 4 swims. The first one was just trying not to drown, then the next 3 (numbers below) were a short 1.8k session. The times are nothing to write home about but I honestly thought that given the lack of volume over 3 years culminating in 6 months complete absence, I would need to learn to swim again. I was happy just to be swimming a short set!

Thing is, although I was red faced at the end of the sets 1) There is a small average improvement in just 3 swims and 2) The average pace is 1:35-1:42, not a million miles from my peak fitness CSS.

Compared with running (an equal story of absence) this is much closer to when I was fit. Running base aerobic pace has dropped from 4:40-4:50 to 5:55-6:05!! That’s a whopping difference.

I am comparing swim threshold base and run base pace but it’s relatively the same basis of comparison. I just seem to have slipped much more with running than swimming. Odd, since I have been running longer and more often?!

Do you lose running fitness faster than swimming? Is the 8-10kg weight gain the real factor with the slower running as it hardly effects swimming? In terms of maintenance I actually feel like 1 swim a week will keep me both sane and able to ramp up quickly if needed. 1 run a week (my average this year) is getting me nowhere, backwards if anything!

Swimming 2x4, 2x2, 4x1 w/60, 30, 15s rests

23/1
    2x400 in 7:11, 6:54
    3x200 in 3:22, 3:31, 3:18
    4x100 in 1:37, 1:39, 1:36, 1:36

15/2
    2x400 in 6:56, 6:23
    3x200 in 3:07, 3:12, 3:14
    4x100 in 1:34, 1:35, 1:38, 1:36

20/2
    2x400 in 6:39, 6:31
    3x200 in 3:12, 3:13, 3:18
    4x100 in 1:33, 1:36, 1:36, 1:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

You go away for a week to mind the kids and miss loads :)

Some very interesting reading folks. Originally I was thinking just about maintaining your form after a good season. For arguments sake I was thinking of say someone with a 6:10 400 swim time, FTP of 4w/kg & a 5k of 17:30. What I am realising though is it's all very personal. I think Kurts swim assessment is closer than Mikes for most people but I could be wrong. I was always impressed at how quickly Mike regained his swim times. Personally I know it would be more akin to 3 swims a week as outlined by Kurt.

Given how variable we all are, I'm guessing it would be difficult to identify a one size fits all.

In relation to the other area, reduced training time, it seems that the run definitely returns best bang for your buck. A couple of very good posts from Peter on this. Thank you. Also in this space I saw a very interesting post on ST about this. Have a look here as it offers great food for thought IMO

the only issue is that especially 5 k pace is an oversold factor in triathlon ( at least for half the people)
    if i have to chose to run a 5 k or 10 k pb or set a pb for steady hill reps i d go any day for pbs at steady hill reps
    even runing sub 55 for a 10 miler dosnt mean i run well of the bike but if i run a good hill set that means i have the strenght that i require to run well of the bike.
    again this kind of stuff depends a lot on the athletes profile.

anyway the key phrase to flatlining after a 2 year structured training would almost always be this

Most people don't have cake and they are going straight to the icing and wondering why their races are either slow or their bodies break.

pgibbo wrote: »
    You go away for a week to mind the kids and miss loads :)

Some very interesting reading folks. Originally I was thinking just about maintaining your form after a good season. For arguments sake I was thinking of say someone with a 6:10 400 swim time, FTP of 4w/kg & a 5k of 17:30. What I am realising though is it's all very personal. I think Kurts swim assessment is closer than Mikes for most people but I could be wrong. I was always impressed at how quickly Mike regained his swim times. Personally I know it would be more akin to 3 swims a week as outlined by Kurt.

Given how variable we all are, I'm guessing it would be difficult to identify a one size fits all.

In relation to the other area, reduced training time, it seems that the run definitely returns best bang for your buck. A couple of very good posts from Peter on this. Thank you. Also in this space I saw a very interesting post on ST about this. Have a look here as it offers great food for thought IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 27 davmurpla

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    My 2c on the swim...

The vast majority of triathlete adult onset swimmers don't need any more hours to improve their swimming dramatically. If three hours a week are all you have available for swimming, make the most of them. Instead of equating improvement with distance/volume (as you might correctly do for the bike/run), you'd be better off with sets of three structured hours as follows:

1. Short fast intervals (50-100m sprints), including a lot of flat out stuff.
    2. Drills, done at a comfortable pace with an emphasis towards swimming as streamline and long as possible.
    3. Medium distance intervals (100m-400m), holding good form throughout.

Throw in the odd 1,500 or IM TT if you like, but in general stay away from long steady swims. Swimming is a very technical sport- power and strength will only take you so far, the real benefit is in using that power while working with the water. Swimming fast will teach you that you need good form to swim fast. If you can learn good form over shorter sets, you'll easily swim a lot faster during distance races.

With one or two exceptions, anyone on this forum who is plateauing in their swim times doesn't need extra hours or work to dramatically improve, they need to study how to swim. I watched Amy Wolfe swim a 19:27 1,500 at the weekend, and she didn't even look like she was working, hardly causing a splash while slower swimmers around her looked like they were putting in a lot more effort. If you can get to any of the high performance pools, watch how the HP guys swim. Ditto kids galas, they are an education in themselves. When you see a skinny 12-year old girl swimming close to 5 mins for a 400 free, you start to realise just how much poor technique is causing that flatline.

I would not pay too much attention on the time from masters swimmers or pool swimmers. As Peter Kern said, Triathlon is a sport which is made by 3 others, one of those is swimming.

Pool swimmers spend about 25-30 hours (or more) trainning. That allow them to spen hours doung just kicking drills, to get more efective kicking, which i would say is one of the weakness of every triathlete.
    Plus, pools swimmers are involved in short distances races (50m, 100..200 or 1500m as much)...with no cycling and running afterwards, and in calm and nice water.

I shares thoughts with some pool swimmers and all of them agreed about triathlon swimming is harder, because of navigation, the currents, fighting....

So, there is many thing to learn from pool swimming, but at the meantime no everything can be translated to open water swimming.

Coach Gordo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Very useful thread this - keep posting guys, these nuggets are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

davmurpla wrote: »

Coach Gordo

Gordo the man who made a fortune in finance and then tried like a total pro in terms of volumes

Advertisement