Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data usage with DD-WRT

Options
  • 22-02-2017 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

I'm with Nova Broadband a Cork based ISP. I'm on a 20mb package that has a 20gb a day data limit. Once that threshold is met, the speed drops down to unusable. I don't mind that really. Better than being charged for going over the limit.

Only thing is, I have no way of monitoring how much I have used during the day. I am thinking of installing DD-WRT firmware on the router. I believe it can monitor the daily traffic.

Has anyone had any experience with DD-WRT in regards to traffic monitoring? Do you think it's what I need in this case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Hi, did you ever get this working ? I am interested too, but would need to buy a new router, so would be good to know if it works before I do buy a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Yes and no.

Got the firmware installed fine. But was intending to install a script on it to do exactly what I wanted. The name of it escapes me at the minute, but it would let you know what traffic is going where on your network, and how much each device uses.

Anyway, that script needed a usb port on the router, and it does not have one, so I couldn't install it. However, the firmware does have a daily monitor on it that shows you how much data is used. problem is, it doesn't seem to be very accurate. According to it, I can go over the 20gb limit, and yet I can use the net no problem, which means I never did actually go over the limit.

I suggest that to try and have a look around for a router that will do what you need since you're in the market for one anyway.

Thanks- Some of the TP-Link Archer routers seem to have the functionality, but no point if it is not accurate..Your router is not a TP-Link ?

Right now I am looking at Archer C9 (or D9)..

I think the name of the script you are referring to is YAMON ? I was hoping someone here could share experience with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes and no.

Got the firmware installed fine. But was intending to install a script on it to do exactly what I wanted. The name of it escapes me at the minute, but it would let you know what traffic is going where on your network, and how much each device uses.

Anyway, that script needed a usb port on the router, and it does not have one, so I couldn't install it. However, the firmware does have a daily monitor on it that shows you how much data is used. problem is, it doesn't seem to be very accurate. According to it, I can go over the 20gb limit, and yet I can use the net no problem, which means I never did actually go over the limit.

I suggest that to try and have a look around for a router that will do what you need since you're in the market for one anyway.

That's likely a case of byte rounding or Gibibyte vs Gigabtye giving you 7% more than expected.

Yeah, I thought that too, but it's off by more than 7%. More like 30%.

• Advertisement

Thanks- Some of the TP-Link Archer routers seem to have the functionality, but no point if it is not accurate..Your router is not a TP-Link ?

Right now I am looking at Archer C9 (or D9)..

I think the name of the script you are referring to is YAMON ? I was hoping someone here could share experience with it.

Sorry, Harry. Thought I had answered your post already. Mustn't have hit the submit button.

Yeah, my router is a TP Link. TP-Link TL-WR841ND v11. To be sure, you could post a thread asking about what router suits you best. I have some knowledge of routers, but there's better people here than me to guide you in the right direction.

Yamon. Yep, that was it. Looks like a nice script for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From the questions Harrys asking I'd politely suggest enthusiast firmware may not be the best selection. Really no use case for it either as the counters are available on OEM builds too (just not the Gemtek junk Imagine are shipping).

I am going to give Yamon a go at my recently aqcuired second hand router. However if there is any router out there that has the feature of historical usage logging per device included in the firmware with a decent GUI, I would really like to know. I thought I searched thoroughly and found that it simply doesn't exist.. At most you can view usage of currently connected devices.
    Again, I would actually hope I am wrong, as I have better things to do with my time than play with firmware..
    BTW I have a Huawei CPE... which apparently is also junk, as I was told it needs replacing due to intermittent  connection issues. Do you perhaps know of any hardware they are using that is not junk ? In case they ask me to choose when they come (it wouldn't surprise me if they show up with a van with several pieces of different kit)... In fairness the huawei's wifi coverage is really good.

Do you mean the CPE on the roof that Nova use? I have a Ubiquiti . It's pretty solid in fairness. After that I have the TP link cable router, and it's pretty good too. Apart from the POE, there's nothing else here. Or is your router a Huawei? I have no experience of them.

ED_E above mentions OEM gear that has built in counters. THB, I never looked for them as I wanted to fool around with DDWRT

It is Imagine, not Nova, but yes something similar. It is a 2 part Huawei unit. Outside is the modem and antenna with SIM card (it uses LTE), inside the wifi router that also powers the outside unit with PoE.
    I managed to get Yamon working, pretty impressive on first glance. Let's run with it for a while and see how it works out. 
    I hope that my playing around with DD-WRT is done now.. spent two evenings configuring it to my liking - with no previous knowledge or experience of it (where would we all be without google).. I am pretty sure there is no OEM firmware that does what I want it do.. Just hope it stays stable with all the customisation.

• Advertisement

Good stuff.Fair play to ya for getting it going. I hope it's more accurate than what I have. I'll probably gat a different router myself. Just have to get the finger out :)

Got a N600 router dirt cheap on adverts.. it seems to deliver a similar strength wifi signal, slight weaker than what I had but good enough for my set up. Not sure if I would see any benefit from a more expensive one. Very little risk as well when playing around with firmware..

Will download a big torrent over the weekend and monitor the usage and see how accurate it is. I did check whether it picked up any LAN only data and it didn't.

Good luck when you re-start your project

Advertisement