Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit account in GBP for resident of ROI

• 22-02-2017 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking at opening an account in British pounds to store some of my savings in a different currency. I don't need a bank card associated to the account but ideally some facility for ongoing and outgoing electronic funds transfer (EFT). And some interests on the deposit would be nice but being able to access the funds quickly is is more important to me.

I talked to PTSB who are offering GBP accounts, but they told me the account won't be visible through online banking, and while you can lodge money onto it through EFT the only way to withdraw money is to go to a branch and get a cheque or cash (which is not ideal to me, I would rather be able to initiate electronic transfers preferably from an online banking platform but at least at the branch).

Is there any Irish bank offering online banking and/or full EFT capabilities for GBP accounts?

Or are there UK online banks which offer deposit accounts to ROI residents with these facilities available?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Would the Revolut GBP 'current account' meet your needs? http://revolutapp.tumblr.com/post/156938742072/introducing-revolut-current-accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Thanks that could be interesting. Do you know how safe Revolut is compared to a traditional bank? (I assume they don't have a banking licences and or not part of depositor guarantee schemes?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Ulster bank will let you open a sterling bank account as a resident of ROI with full online and mobile banking facilities. You get the usual cards etc.

I opened one up for my college fees (which I pay in sterling) and it works great.

You have to print off the application forms, bring them to your nearest Ulster Bank with original forms of ID so they can certify the copies and you are good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Tzardine wrote: »
    Ulster bank will let you open a sterling bank account as a resident of ROI with full online and mobile banking facilities. You get the usual cards etc.

I opened one up for my college fees (which I pay in sterling) and it works great.

You have to print off the application forms, bring them to your nearest Ulster Bank with original forms of ID so they can certify the copies and you are good to go.

Thanks. Just to clarify: you mean you can go to an Ulster Bank branch in the ROI to open it or it has to be a NI branch? Also, do they charge maintenance fees for the account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Bob24 wrote: »
    Thanks. Just to clarify: you mean you can go to an Ulster Bank branch in the ROI to open it or it has to be a NI branch? Also, do they charge maintenance fees for the account?

You have to print the application form from the website and then bring it to a branch in the republic to get your id documents verified. You can do this at a solicitor or notary if you prefer, but the bank option is free.

There are no monthly fees for this account.

More info here

http://digital.ulsterbank.co.uk/personal/current-accounts/eu-residents-hub.html?intcam=U_PC_HPTO_0_MTA_MTAGen_ER2_MTA_a2

• Advertisement
Advertisement