Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebel Tour of Cork Glengarriff, 9th September 2017

Options
  • 22-02-2017 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Great news - The Rebel Tour of Cork returns to Glengarriff for the 6th year on the 9th of September 2017!

- See more at: http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/an-post-rebel-tour#sthash.RS5j7cHV.dpuf
    .......The Rebel Tour is back for 2017......
    The Rebel Tour of Cork will return to Glengarriff on Saturday 9th September 2017. The event will form the final leg in this year's Sport Ireland Cycle Series (previously known as the An Post Cycle Series).
    Minister of State for Tourism and Sport, Patrick O’Donovan, TD announced the launch of the 2017 Sport Ireland Cycle Series at an event in Dublin earlier this week.
    The other events in the Sport Ireland Cycle Series 2017 will take place in Sligo (April 29th & 30th), Clare (June 17th), Meath (July 29th & 30th) & Waterford (August 19th & 20th).
    Registration for The Sport Ireland Rebel Tour of Cork opens mid-March.
    Click here for more info - www.corkrebeltour.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Interesting. I thought there was talk of a change of route or base town but that must have been shelved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Any recommendations for the best town to stay for the weekend (Glengarriff, Bantry or Kenmare)??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 montyt

It's a tough event but very enjoyable, looking forward to 2017. There are a few options 85 km, 130 km (by turning right in castletownbear) and the 160 km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Ha, I just signed up for the 160K. I'm officially crazy. :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

Has anyone stayed in the Westlodge Hotel, Bantry for this? Do they allow you to keep your bike in the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

marvin80 wrote: »
    Has anyone stayed in the Westlodge Hotel, Bantry for this? Do they allow you to keep your bike in the room?

if they do not let you bring to your room they will have some option to store your bike overnight. Just shoot them an email and ask (or call).

BailMeOut wrote: »
    if they do not let you bring to your room they will have some option to store your bike overnight. Just shoot them an email and ask (or call).

Thanks for the advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

I stayed there two years ago for Rebel, no bother bringing bike to room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I signed up for it long time ago, 4 days left, but there was no email about starting number collection or any goodie bag like it was in 2015. Is it going to happen on the day or I missed something? I registered through the eventmaster.ie and I have 2 tickets for 2 separate names/email accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

It's on their website:

http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/signindetails

Thursday 7th September - Gaelscoil Ui Riordain - (5-8 pm)
    Friday 8th September - Eccles Hotel, Glengarriff - (5-8 pm)
    Saturday 9th September - Eccles Hotel, Glengarriff - (7am until half an hour before each event)
    160k - Sign In Closed @ 08:15
    85k - Sign In Closed @ 09:30
    55k - Sign In Closed @ 10:30

lissard wrote: »
    Thursday 7th September - Gaelscoil Ui Riordain - (5-8 pm)
    Thanks for posting that. I didn't spot the option to register in Ballincollig so that should save a bit of time on Saturday. :)

I can't decide whether to stick with the 160km or chicken out and go for the 85km route.
    I took a drive around the route last Friday and the section between Cahermore and Urhan looked pretty brutal with a series of energy-sapping, short but very steep climbs.
    On the one hand I want to be able to say I did the 160km challenge but on the other hand I don't want to risk a DNF. Also that whole section is probably the most scenic part of the route.

My training has been an average of about 30K on my own four or five days a week with the odd 80K/100K thrown in. Average speed would be about 22/23 km/h.

Any advice on whether to risk it or play safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that. I didn't spot the option to register in Ballincollig so that should save a bit of time on Saturday. :)

I can't decide whether to stick with the 160km or chicken out and go for the 85km route.
    I took a drive around the route last Friday and the section between Cahermore and Urhan looked pretty brutal with a series of energy-sapping, short but very steep climbs.
    On the one hand I want to be able to say I did the 160km challenge but on the other hand I don't want to risk a DNF. Also that whole section is probably the most scenic part of the route.

My training has been an average of about 30K on my own four or five days a week with the odd 80K/100K thrown in. Average speed would be about 22/23 km/h.

If the 80/100K cycles have included a few hills, I'd go for it. First time I did it two years ago a good few 160 cyclists turned left back to Glengarriff after coming down from the Healy Pass the first time. It was raining heavily at the time but cleared up long before we got to Castletownbere and was glorious out by Allihies.

I am sure you will be able to team up with a group for a lot of the flatter bits but make sure to take the climbs at your own pace. Enjoy rolleyes.png

The 160 is not easy but there is a great sense of achievement once done. I have done the 160km twice and the 85km three times and doing the 85 again on Sat as am nowhere in shape for the longer one again this year. There is a 3rd option as there is a official shortcut available for the 160 which shaves off at least 20kms.

The western tip of Beara is definitely the toughest part of the route. Loads of short steep ramps, quite like Lake Drive in Wicklow if you're familiar with that purgatory. On the plus side it's jaw-droppingly beautiful and definitely worth doing. I missed that section last year by dawdling too long in the first food stop. By the time I arrived in Castletownbere i'd missed the time cut (1.30pm) and was diverted to Eyeries. Won't be making that mistake this year. Worst case scenario, if the legs are screwed at the second food stop reroute via Castletownbere and avoid the Healy Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

Does anybody have an entry that they are not using ? Will pay !

Thanks

Does anybody have an entry that they are not using ? Will pay !

Thanks

I just registered for two spots a few mins ago online. They say entries close at noon today but I was still able to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

I just registered for two spots a few mins ago online. They say entries close at noon today but I was still able to order.

Tried again and it worked this time!

Bantry Bay weather via Windguru if anyone is interested

https://www.windguru.cz/89357

Looks like a decent day ahead of us.

lissard wrote: »
    The western tip of Beara is definitely the toughest part of the route. Loads of short steep ramps, quite like Lake Drive in Wicklow if you're familiar with that purgatory. On the plus side it's jaw-droppingly beautiful and definitely worth doing.

Yeah, this is my main reason for wanting to do it.
    9ReFs5Z.jpg

6Q3FeuT.jpg

fbVxklT.jpg

By the way on Saturday do keep an eye out for heavy traffic on the way up the Healy Pass. :pac:

Quick question though - is it possible to start early? Say, an hour before the official start time or so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 gurteen

Have an entry for anyone looking for one as will not be able to make it on Saturday
    PM me if interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Yeah, this is my main reason for wanting to do it.

By the way on Saturday do keep an eye out for heavy traffic on the way up the Healy Pass. :pac:

Quick question though - is it possible to start early? Say, an hour before the official start time or so?

A good shot of punters will be gone ahead of the official starts, here's a continuous trickle from Glengarriff. Food stop(s) might not be open though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A good shot of punters will be gone ahead of the official starts, here's a continuous trickle from Glengarriff. Food stop(s) might not be open though

From the Info Pack just issued by the organisers:

"Participants MUST NOT begin their event ahead of the LEAD CAR as the route will not be OPEN. This means that there will be no marshals, no medical cover, no support vehicles, no food or water stops and critically, no event insurance.".

According to the volunteers I chatted to in the food stop last year, there were people arriving at first stop 60 mins after the start. To do that they'd have had to hit the road a good hour early. If I'm ready I'll be hitting the road, no point getting cold when you're as slow as I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

From the Info Pack just issued by the organisers:

"Participants MUST NOT begin their event ahead of the LEAD CAR as the route will not be OPEN. This means that there will be no marshals, no medical cover, no support vehicles, no food or water stops and critically, no event insurance.".

While it's an organised sportif, they're open public roads. Start when you want.
    Just don't expect support!

I think you are missing the whole point of a sportif by starting early. You can cycle around the Beara Peninsula at any time by yourself or with your usual cycling buddies but getting to do it with a very large bunch of other people is the reason most of us do these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

First timer doing the 85. Can I register with my phone or do I need a photocopy?

knipper wrote: »
    First timer doing the 85. Can I register with my phone or do I need a photocopy?
    I presume you mean printout rather than photocopy?
    They use a scanner so you should be ok with downloading the scanner friendly version of your ticket to your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Can you collect the goody bag after the cycle and just register in the morning.

• Advertisement

I think you are missing the whole point of a sportif by starting early. You can cycle around the Beara Peninsula at any time by yourself or with your usual cycling buddies but getting to do it with a very large bunch of other people is the reason most of us do these events.
    That's exactly the reason why I'd like to leave early - so that I don't get left behind on my own when the rest of the peloton zoom off into the distance. :D

Advertisement