Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebel Tour of Cork Glengarriff, 9th September 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I know this is very late in the day but I have a free entry to this event if anybody wants it (A friend from work has had to cancel,and I am trying to shift it on his behalf)

Already registered and have the seat post/helmet sticker and wrist band.

I am based in Cork City,PM me if interested.

Cheers

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

0INE4FA.jpg

Handy bit of detail on the climbs. For some reason I had thought the Healy Pass was higher than the Caha Pass. I guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Did the 85k today, just one heavy but quick shower of rain, the wind was ridiculous - the descents were dodgy in parts as a result.

On the other hand, stunning scenery and smashing part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭BikeRacer

Did the 160km. Great day but holy sh1t the wind was unbelievable. Borderline dangerous down around allihies tbh. A gap in a ditch was a guaranteed shove across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Same here, the wind climbing caha was "gusty" I was nearly brought to a halt a few times. Thankfully they had a nasty pothole flagged on the Caha descent, it could have been seriously bad. Very well organised all around so quodos to everyone involved. I must remember to bring my legs next year, suffered big time :(. I suppose it's "character" building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

My brother got knocked over by the wind just after the top of the Caha pass. Fortunately he was slowing down at the time to stop so just a bit of road rash and a few bruises. I thought the wind made it fairly hairy descending from Caha and had a few "Holy Sh*****t" moments myself.
    Saw another guy who had a freak accident when a bit of rock fell from the roof of one the tunnels. It just missed him but bounced off the road and hit him in the knee. He needed a few stitches.
    At least the wind helped out blowing us up that last section of the Healy Pass. :D

The weather brightened up nicely for the second half of the cycle and there was a huge selection of grub at the foodstop.

Just did the 85 in the end. Fair play to those that did the 160.
    I hope to be back for the Ring of Beara next year and the Rebel Tour again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

basically DeepBlue said it all in relation to the wind, tough final climb up Caha into the wind and then ferocious and dangerous cross-winds descending Caha. I was settling into the drops for some downhill thrills when a gust took by front wheel and by jesus I got the wobbles. I managed to slow down but it taught me a lesson for the day.

A good day, plenty of service vehicles along the route so well done to the organisers and volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Found the 160 a whole lot tougher this year than two years ago. The wind was an obvious factor especially between Allihies and Eyries but, on the other hand, it did help on the homeward section and the two Healy Pass climbs.

Being solo this year and in a group of five in 2015 was probably more of a issue. I ended up jumping on to a number of club groups as they passed and, even though the shelter and company were very welcome, all were moving at a fair pace. As a result, I ended up averaging 26.5 which was way faster than my previous effort. Thanks to Middleton, Youghal, Castleknock and De Ronde CCs for the train tickets at various stages.

Overall, it was probably one of the toughest and most rewarding sportives of the year. It was also very well organised and marshalled and the gillet is class and will get plenty of use in the months ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Great event and thanks to the organisers for all their efforts.

First time doing the event and really enjoyed the scenery and the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Finally managed to complete the Rebel Tour. In 2014 I fell and broke my collar bone a week before the event, last year I arrived an hour late and missed the time cut in Castletownbere. This year come hell or high water I was determined to finish the full 160k. Unfortunately in the two weeks running up to the event I got a chest infection which flattened me. I'd signed up for the Reservoir Dog sportive the week before but pulled out as I was afraid it would leave me crocked for my main target. Although I wasn't fully recovered I thought I'd see how things went for the first 60k and see if my chest held up. Fortunately it did and taking a deep breath I turned right after the first food stop, how bad could it be? Pretty bad was the answer!

The wind in the stretch between Casteltownbere and Allihies was epic, it was a full scale effeort in my bottom gear just to keep moving on a 0% incline. The two big climbs out that way are brutal and I was pretty much spent as I crawled all the way to the second food stop. Not too far up the road after the food stop myself and my mate were informed that we were that last two riders on the road. I think everyone else behind had abandoned. From this point on I really must compliment the organisers, we got great encouragement from the moto-marshals and the service vehicles. I had cramps in both legs going up the Healy pass the second time and had to just dial it right back to get to the top.
    No problems after that and it was pretty cool being followed home by a race convoy. I managed to overtake one other lad on the run in but we pretty much arrived together. Got a big cheer coming back into Glengarriff which gave me a great lift. A big thank you to the organisers and volunteers, the event was first class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

lissard wrote: »
    I think everyone else behind had abandoned. I had craps in both legs going up the Healy pass the second time

No wonder everyone behind you and downwind abandoned. :) the smell must have been really bad.!

Well done on finishing it .

Classic typo secman - thanks for spotting and immortalising it ��

Well done lissard - getting all the way round without shelter when there were a few bale out options is heroic ��

Lots of photos now up on the Cork Sports Partnership Facebook page.

.....and not a single one of me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I feel your pain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Same here! Mind you I couldn't really have expected the photographers to stay around all day ;-).

A friend of mine sent me a link to this album taken on the Healy pass. I think nearly everyone in the 160k is in it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1537898636284491&id=1419705341437155

lissard wrote: »
    Same here! Mind you I couldn't really have expected the photographers to stay around all day ;-).

A friend of mine sent me a link to this album taken on the Healy pass. I think nearly everyone in the 160k is in it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1537898636284491&id=1419705341437155

Took a lot of scrolling but I finally found a couple. Thanks lissard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

are there any photos for the 85km on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

A big shout out to the young girl (& her father) who had a water stop at the Allihies Pass, I was never so glad to see water and a few jellies in all my life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brenlixnaw

thanks found a picture of myself and mate who did the cycle with me
    i wanted a picture to show off to other club members that we did do the 160km
    absolutely loved the day and the wind (gust) was terrible but gave you an extra challenge ,ive never gone down hill so slow

Advertisement