Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track Cycling any tips

Options
  • 22-02-2017 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

Going to be in London over the weekend and seems a taster session at the Olympic Track may be on the agenda. Thing is I've never ridden a fixed gear bike, never mind a track one! Any tips for avoiding losing power/willpower and coming to a sudden and embarrassing stop?

As an aside I'm presuming Strava won't pick up a signal on an Android inside so I guess there's no sense in sticking it in the back pocket.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

They are very professional there - you'll have no problems. But it is just a 'taster' - don't expect too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Don't ever stop pedaling when you're on the bike it's amazing how quickly you forget this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Don't ever stop pedaling when you're on the bike it's amazing how quickly you forget this. :D

I've heard that was key :D

Is it easy enough to reduce your cadence to slow down?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

P_1 wrote: »
    I've heard that was key :D

Is it easy enough to reduce your cadence to slow down?

I'm no expert on it but the first time I tried it I kept on gettin bucked up out of the saddle.

It does get easier though and it starts to feel natural(ish) after a while.

It can be difficult if there's a load of people on the track.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Turn left.....

Seriously though, I ride indoor tracks regularly mainly on "taster" sessions where there are plenty of newbies. All you need to do is pay attention to the coach - they will show you everything you need to know. You will be surprised how quickly you take to it - by the end of the session you will probably be riding the blue line with little appreciation for how steep the bends are

Also you can't come to a sudden stop - your momentum takes over (you can give yourself a bit of a shock when you decide you want to freewheel though!). You slow down gradually. The cote d'azure on the inside of the track is shallow enough for you to stay upright at very slow speed (don't slow down to a slow pace on the track proper though!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Nobody has any brakes so it's a lot safer in a bunch that way! - think of all the crashes caused by bad brakeing. (not that you will be in a bunch at a taster)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

P_1 wrote: »

As an aside I'm presuming Strava won't pick up a signal on an Android inside so I guess there's no sense in sticking it in the back pocket.
    Neither Strava nor Garmins will work on an indoor velodrome. Not sure if they do it in London, but at Manchester you can hire Mylaps transponders that will track your lap times

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

would a basic speed/ cadence sensor on the bike not track your data easily enough as if you were on a turbo/rollers. no need to worry about transponders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I did one of those taster sessions in Manchester a few years ago. It's surprising how quickly you get comfortable.

When we came out and I saw how steep the bank was i was totally freaked out. Once you are on it you don't even notice it.

Pretty sure they asked us to wear a long-sleeved jersey.

daragh_ wrote: »

Pretty sure they asked us to wear a long-sleeved jersey.

You don't need long sleeves, but are not allowed on sleeveless. You are supposed to have 2 layers on top as well, but they tend not to scrutinise that one too closely....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Point the bike in the same direction as all the other bikes. Head down. Arse up. Pedal like billyo!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Beasty wrote: »
    You are supposed to have 2 layers on top as well, but they tend not to scrutinise that one too closely....

Jaysus, I'd be roasting so, only had two layers outside yesterday:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Well I didn't embarrass myself. Just about had the nerve to get above the blue line. Certainly a different form of cycling. 😂

Advertisement