Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage free age

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

~34 I think (41 now). Hated having debt and bought well within my means which helped accelerate the repayment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

By paying off 17 euro you've saved approx 10 euro in interest (4% rate with 25 years to run).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

By paying off 17 euro you've saved approx 10 euro in interest (4% rate with 25 years to run).

Well then the bank have made a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

In your case at such a bad interest rate , i would pay of as much as I could early , as soon as you get out of negative equity you should be able to renegotiate the loan to something more reasonable

Folks on trackers you could argue would do better to invest spare cash as it will probably outperform the cost of the tracker

He's rate is about the standard for retail rates in Ireland. BOI is 4.2%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Bought towards the end of the boom and on a variable rate unfortunately but should have it paid off by 36. Shouldn't ever need to sell/upgrade unless relocating hopefully. Hope to retire early.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

No more discussion of ted1's situation please. The OP asks a simple question. If you want to discuss banking specifics please do so in the banking forum

Your sums are way off but its a good example of the financial ceaselessness of the "pay it off as early as possible" crew. 
    Your sums should include current investment rates. You are nearly always better off putting your additional money into a pension fund. Particularly if, like me, you're paying a very low rate (1.4%).

It's very wise to pay off your mortgage as fast as possible. Not only will it save you 1000's in interest but it will free up all that money you are paying every month with for a lot of people means 1k or more extra disposable income along with the security of not worrying about paying for the roof over your head.

Advertisement