Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking around for a smaller car - €2k

• 22-02-2017 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

First off, thank you very much for your inputs to my previous thread with regards to purchasing a 7 seater. Worked out very well thanks to your suggestions. Now though, I am in search for a smaller vehicle due to the fact that, as it turns out, the family isn't really using the current vehicle much and it is just being used by myself to get to work. I am looking to get a smaller vehicle that is hopefully trustworthy. I was thinking Japanese car if possible as I heard they are pretty much bulletproof. 1.2 maybe stretch to 1.4 if the prospect car is a really good example? Thanks a lot everyone. All your help are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

bazz26 wrote: »

Thank you very much. Will definitely consider one of these. A member of the family had one and was indeed a good car.

I have an interest in the likes of a Honda Jazz, Civic, Corolla hatch (a little more stylish than a Yaris). We tend to keep cars for years and years (had a punto for 13 years) so I would prefer a bit of a better looking car. Would they be considered as options in this budget range?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Here is a Jazz as per your request.

It is 2350 but a bit of shrewd bargaining could get it within budget. The seller is an unofficial dealer though!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2006-honda-jazz-1-2-nct-07-17-tax-02-17-immaculate/14670121

NzM4NjkxM2M2ZTNiODZiYThjODU5ZmI4M2YxZThkMWapSWpc1SK7UeTff7CRDzs2aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTIyNTAzNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Paint is brutal on that jazz. Might polish up but it's seriously oxidised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

NmMzOGNmZmU1NTZlOGI4Nzc4N2MyYmYyMWRhZGUxMGGBD9JrvXK7BuCKzebwjGmWaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182OTUxMjEwNHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda-active-1-1-nct-tax-2006/14722348

I know it's not Japanese but the Panda is pretty much bulletproof, comfy, economical and you can pick them up for peanuts.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-panda-active-1-1-nct-tax-2006/14722348

I know it's not Japanese but the Panda is pretty much bulletproof, comfy, economical and you can pick them up for peanuts.

I have one problem with these though. I have tried them out as a rental when our Punto broke down years ago. I barely fit in it being 6"2 and there wasn't much seat adjustment that I can do to fit in :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have one problem with these though. I have tried them out as a rental when our Punto broke down years ago. I barely fit in it being 6"2 and there wasn't much seat adjustment that I can do to fit in :(

Ah..... well that's a good reason to rule it out so :)

Ah..... well that's a good reason to rule it out so :)

Thanks for the suggestion though. I definitely don't mind non-japanese. I just heard good things about them so I was looking at them but if there are any cars out there that have good reviews, I would definitely be considering them. Thanks again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

I'd say the Jazz is a definite contender. It's reliable, cheap to run and will fit most of your family should the need arise. The interior space in them is simply enormous (considering the outside dimensions).
    The Mazda 3 is also (usually) a rock solid car, the 1.4 might be a tad underpowered however.
    The Lancer, I've never driven but heard good things, triple-check the insurance on it though, even though it's nothing special, some Lancer are/were used for boyracing purposes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

Clio or micra. Never had any problems with either. Was also really cheap to insure both. You can pick them up cheap enough as well.

Nuw wrote: »
    I'd say the Jazz is a definite contender. It's reliable, cheap to run and will fit most of your family should the need arise. The interior space in them is simply enormous (considering the outside dimensions).
    The Mazda 3 is also (usually) a rock solid car, the 1.4 might be a tad underpowered however.
    The Lancer, I've never driven but heard good things, triple-check the insurance on it though, even though it's nothing special, some Lancer are/were used for boyracing purposes...

Are those comments specifically for the examples that I've posted or just in general? If general, what could you say about ones that I posted? What do you think of the condition? Any reminders with these cars that I need to check before buying?

I am sort of leaning over towards the Jazz at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Are those comments specifically for the examples that I've posted or just in general? If general, what could you say about ones that I posted? What do you think of the condition? Any reminders with these cars that I need to check before buying?

I am sort of leaning over towards the Jazz at the moment.
    These were more general comments. I'm always careful when looking at ads, especially from dealers. I think that it's better to get to see the cars in the flesh. Photos can be deceitful.
    You'll be looking at 12 years old cars, so the usual applies, irrespective of make/models. So ideally, full service history, no traces of rust anywhere (look at the wheel arches), mileage verified, any jobs bigger than an oil change documented (ideally by a bill) and carried out by reputable mechanic. If you can have a mechanic you trust with you when you go see them, it's usually 50 quids (or thereabout) well spent. If the dealer has the facilities, they should allow you to put the car up the ramp for your mechanic to have a good look at it.
    I'd be wary the Jazz has been a bit badly treated simply because the wheels are not original and look like cheap alloys (which doesn't necessarily mean much, but I have my prejudices ;) ). Make sure they match the originals in size... If they don't, ask if they can put the car back to original specs (so switch these alloys for original Honda ones), if they can't, I'd look elsewhere (wrong size wheels affect the ride and the speedo accuracy, the more different they are from original specs, the bigger the effect it will have on both).
    Also, and before you commit to anything, make sure your insurance will cover you on cars more than 10 years old (a few horror stories with renewal being up by quite some margin here on boards).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nuw wrote: »

The lancer is pretty vile. On the same sort of level as an Almera.

Advertisement