Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value waterproof jacket and trousers - breathable

Options
  • 23-02-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Don't want to spend a fortune but anyone recommend me the above that'll keep me dry in Irish walking weather? Maybe the coat would have a removable fleece insert. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I recently picked these up and love them already. At this price it's a steal.

http://www.craghoppers.com/kiwi-pro-waterproof-trousers-black.html

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Are you kidding me? Clicked on the link and they come up as £70. That's the RRP, can be had a little bit cheaper elsewhere. Highly waterproof and breathable according to the spec (not gore-tex, but that would be a lot more expensive), so that kinda money is a bargain. For the craic, I put it in my basket. Came up as £32.60 + £3.95 delivery + Parcel Motel. So a tiny bit over €45 to my door. Incredible.

Bought :cool:

unkel wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? Clicked on the link and they come up as £70. That's the RRP, can be had a little bit cheaper elsewhere. Highly waterproof and breathable according to the spec (not gore-tex, but that would be a lot more expensive), so that kinda money is a bargain. For the craic, I put it in my basket. Came up as £32.60 + £3.95 delivery + Parcel Motel. So a tiny bit over €45 to my door. Incredible.

Bought :cool:

When you go on this way the lower price shows up :)

http://www.craghoppers.com/men/trousers

For the record, I wore mine on 3 Rock a few Sunday's ago in the hail and drizzle; nae a bit of wet or breeze atall.

And I had been looking for waterproof breathable trousers. Was even willing to spend gore-tex money, but couldn't find good ones for reasonable money. Hated having to bring cheap heavy waterproof over trousers with me in the pack as you'd rarely use them on a day hike, but needed to have them just in case (or if I got stuck overnight)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm a big Paramo fan, so haven't had to lug waterproof over trousers with me for ages now :) A "bit" more expensive than those though :) Some of the reviews say the Craghoppers are a bit warm except in low temps in winter though, which I can believe as I also have a pair of the winter Kiwi trousers which are pretty warm as they have a fleece lining.

• Advertisement

They only cost about 10 times as much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

In the market for waterproof over trousers if anyone can recommend a decent pair tried on the Berghaus and Columbia the latter seem better value .

You can have mine for €20 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks for contributions - any ideas on jackets?

I saw some on the craghoppers site last night that were reduced and seemed good value. Have a browse. Other than that, Mountainwarehouse nearly always have a sale on. I bought a very warm windproof, waterproof and breathable winter "summit" jacket there a few years ago reduced to €90. Lasted me 2 full winter seasons in very rough conditions. Like yourself, didn't want to spend too much getting started hiking. Upgraded it recently to something a lot more expensive / higher quality as I now know I do get the good out of it.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Thanks for contributions - any ideas on jackets?

Vic, if you are in Galway or Westport then look in Portwest. They've rakes of stuff both branded and own label.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

I'm not able to post links today for some reason but if you type "berghaus deluge waterproof overtrousers" into Amazon UK they are currently on sale.
    A great pants. I do a lot of hillwalking all year round and i find them brilliant. Waterproof and breathable with easy access to take on and off.

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    I'm not able to post links today for some reason but if you type "berghaus deluge waterproof overtrousers" into Amazon UK they are currently on sale.
    A great pants. I do a lot of hillwalking all year round and i find them brilliant. Waterproof and breathable with easy access to take on and off.

Thanks everyone for valuable contributions and particular thanks to ShadyAcres for the heads up on Amazon Berghaus deal - just bought overtrousers and jacket for Stg 82.00 delivered - the exact same are on the Berghaus website for Eur 200.00

Unbelievable bargain thanks v much

vicwatson wrote:
    Thanks everyone for valuable contributions and particular thanks to ShadyAcres for the heads up on Amazon Berghaus deal - just bought overtrousers and jacket for Stg 82.00 delivered - the exact same are on the Berghaus website for Eur 200.00

No problem, you can't go wrong at that price. I think I paid 75 euro for my pants a year or 2 ago and they are still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Whats the sizing like on these Im normally a 34 waist 32 leg in normal trousers..

macadam wrote:
    Whats the sizing like on these Im normally a 34 waist 32 leg in normal trousers..

I'm about a 35 waist and a large goes over my hiking trousers no problem and I have room to move. I'm a 32" leg and the length fits perfectly.
    If your a 34 waist then a large should do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I picked up this recently
    https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/901058

For less than 100e for goretex its a steal

Lightweight, breathable, waterproof and practical

I use it more for walking as it has a more athletic fit and I have a Berghaus goretex for normal wear. Ive tried other materials but in my mind you get what you pay for

Have used sportpursuit for a lot of gear so keep your eyes peeled and you'll pick up a bargain

Those deluge trousers fro Berghaus are super value for money and on my next shopping list to amazon. I really like the high zip for the extra breathability and the poppers are much better than Velcro at the bottoms

I don't have any experience of the AQ2 fabric but from all reviews its meant to be very effective

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

For overtrousers, I bought a pair of ex US military goretex pants, part of their ExtremeColdWeatherSystem via eBay. Lots of room with large leg zips so you can easily get them on over boots in no time. Simple, highly functional and cheap compared to outdoor fashion brands.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Those deluge trousers fro Berghaus are super value for money and on my next shopping list to amazon. I really like the high zip for the extra breathability and the poppers are much better than Velcro at the bottoms.

I don't have any experience of the AQ2 fabric but from all reviews its meant to be very effective

They are brilliant at that price. I don't know much about the AQ2 jackets. I have a sprayway jacket myself that cost 150 euro and it isn't great. It leaks in heavy rain so I wear another thin waterproof jacket under it and over all the other layers and I stay dry. Hopefully I'll get a good goretex jacket at some stage.
    I have to say the berghaus trousers are very good staying pretty much dry in all weathers.
    I've had other brands before but these have been the best. I had Columbia waterproof trousers similar to these with zips and buttons down the side but the webbed material on the inside would catch the sole of my boot. These are easy to slip on and off over thick hiking boots.

• Advertisement

Can anyone recommend me hiking/walking trousers to go underneath the berghaus overtrousers that I bought? Also a first layer breathable garment to go under my fleece? Cheers

vicwatson wrote:
    Can anyone recommend me hiking/walking trousers to go underneath the berghaus overtrousers that I bought? Also a first layer breathable garment to go under my fleece? Cheers

You can spend a fortune on the top brands or get good enough from craghoppers. I use their hiking trousers and they are fine.Try the website or Amazon UK.

I use the craghoppers trousers too and they are fine. Very good value for what they are if you can get them in a sale. About £20-£25 on Amazon at the moment.

Also a first layer breathable garment to go under my fleece? Cheers
    I picked up a Helly Hansen Men's Warm Freeze 1/2 Zip Base Layer from Sport Pursuit for €40 Normal RRP is €80. I have seen them at that 80eur price at 53 Degrees North

I have worn this out walking with just a goretex hard shell down to 0deg C and kept my body temp regulated extremely well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Down to £36 now if anyone still looking, that's for medium

Advertisement