Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cáiliúil - Video about Galway characters

Options
  • 23-02-2017 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

https://vimeo.com/95960177/description

10min little video talking about galway characters.

Mod note - posters, please refrain from gossip or anything that could be considered offensive about portrayed characters

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Well, that was horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

This is three years old. Wondering why is it being shared now? Particular noticing content about people whose mental illness has gotten more severe, people who are fairly recently dead and have families that might see this?

At least they thanked people in the credits but did the people know they were being talked about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

inisboffin wrote: »
    This is three years old. Wondering why is it being shared now? Particular noticing content about people whose mental illness has gotten more severe, people who are fairly recently dead and have families that might see this?

At least they thanked people in the credits but did the people know they were being talked about?

I didn't notice the post date until you mentioned it, I saw it posted on r/Ireland today and thought it would interest some people here. I didn't feel it was looking down on the characters, rather celebrating them for being "characters".
    However i didn't think of the family aspect you mention, the moderator can delete the video/thread if its bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It was in the Fleadh's documentary shorts a few years ago. It's not meant to take the p*ss or offend but the usual hysteria of the Galway forum will likely see this thread locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Haven't seen this before but its content i would be mostly familiar with.
    A one worder Irish title with dictionary definition suggests we should sit up and pay attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Good old Nora.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No shots of any of them.

None of the talk was disrespectful.

And at least one of the interviewees is someone who I regard as a character himself.

Mountain, molehill, much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

No shots of any of them.

None of the talk was disrespectful.

And at least one of the interviewees is someone who I regard as a character himself.

Mountain, molehill, much.

If it's me you mean I wasn't making a mountain, nor was I shouting "take it down". I was asking a question as to why it was posted now, which the OP answered.
    I feel it might have sat better with me before some people who were subject of it have either passed away or had worsening mental health issues since then.

There were photos of some of the subjects. There's something about a documentary about 'characters' feels funny when the people themselves don't know about it (maybe they do? I asked that).

I don't think it was horribly offensive or anything in itself, but we're notorious in Ireland for our patronising ways of 'laughing at' characters. One or two of the interviewees even highlight the fact that calling someone a 'character' might not be appropriate.

One of the interviewees even mentioned it. I know people interviewed too. It just feels a bit off. It's shot beautifully, and well made. It's calling people with mental health issues 'characters' that doesn't sit right with me, and I think its an Irish thing not just in this video. The whole "ah God bless him/her" thing I find so patronising. I see people do it on here regularly about people now. These are human beings lads, and we're sometimes having a laugh at their expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Good old Nora.

What is actually known of her, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's not go down that road as it would be gossip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement