Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10 year old

• 23-02-2017 3:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

My 10 year old wants to try boxing. He has zero experience. What can he expect for the first few weeks? Is it just bag work for a while and learning movement etc etc or do young lads starting out get put into the deep end from week one?

What are the initial costs starting out gear wise? What gear is he expected to own from day one?

It will most likely be a club based in westmeath. Can anyone recommend a club? Or any he should avoid?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My 10 year old wants to try boxing. He has zero experience. What can he expect for the first few weeks? Is it just bag work for a while and learning movement etc etc or do young lads starting out get put into the deep end from week one?

What are the initial costs starting out gear wise? What gear is he expected to own from day one?

It will most likely be a club based in westmeath. Can anyone recommend a club? Or any he should avoid?

Thanks all

Different rules and guidelines in different clubs. 10 is the right age. First few weeks he will simply train and participate with the rest of the club. Warm up, bags, pads, skipping, maybe a run once a while and warm down and shadow boxing. Usual training. He won't be excluded from anything but sparring in the first few weeks. He will then be asked to spar, or should be. Clubs have changed somewhat in recent years. There are kids in clubs now who refuse to spar. They would usually have been told to leave, or at least not given the same time and effort as those sparring and competing, but now it seems not as important an issue. I am sure some clubs are still strict in this sense.

Gear? Cheap as chips. Wraps for hands and rope is likely all he will need, as well as gum-shield. Most clubs have all the gloves for sparing and bag work. Some kids like their own gloves. You wouldn't spend all that much on one pair of sparring gloves and one pair of bag work/pad work gloves. Groin guard also recommended when sparring.

What part of Westmeath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks Walshb. That answers my question perfectly. We are based in kinnegad so I think the closest clubs are in mullingar or there is one in rochfordbridge. Are you familiar with any clubs in the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Thanks Walshb. That answers my question perfectly. We are based in kinnegad so I think the closest clubs are in mullingar or there is one in rochfordbridge. Are you familiar with any clubs in the area?

Olympic Mulligar is doing very well. John Joe Joyce runs that; former Olympian!

Try IABA:

http://iaba.ie/about/boxing-clubs/leinster-boxing-clubs/westmeath-boxing-clubs/

Great outlet for children. Really builds their confidence, and great camaraderie to be had. If he joins, take a keen interest. That's what I always advise. It's a little different than other sports in the senses that it hurts that bit more, so a parent needs to pay a little extra attention that their child is being looked after. Not all coaches know what is required of them, and not all coaches put children's safety and interests first, hence keen parental involvement is sometimes necessary.

Advertisement