Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for first year arts student in NUIG

Options
  • 23-02-2017 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys. Im new to this and im really stuck and hope someone can help me. Im doing soc and pol, geography and law as my modules in first year. Ive only been in a handful of times and havent done any assignments apart from a few quizzes in geography but thats it. surprisingly though I managed to pass geography and just failed soc and pol which I dont mind because I have to repeat law anyways because I was sick on the day of the exam so I have to repeat that anyway. I just want to know that If I get 40 percent and pass all modules am I automatically into second year even If I didnt do assignments but I did really well in exams ? I took the piss for the first few months and starting to worry because I never go in but I do well in the end of semester exams > If I get 40 percent do I get into second year regardless of attendance or how many assignments ive done ? any help is greatly appreciated thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

The only way to know for sure is to go to the Career Guidance person and find out the weighting of your written assignments and also if attendance was taken at lectures and tutorials (generally it is here). Ask them and you'll get a definite answer. If you were to drop out now and resit the year next year you would only pay half fees but if you continue you may well be eligible for all of them and they're significant. You won't be the first nor the last who has had this issue but facing it head on and finding out the weighting of your assignments would give you a much clearer picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 unkown12345

ggg16 wrote: »
    The only way to know for sure is to go to the Career Guidance person and find out the weighting of your written assignments and also if attendance was taken at lectures and tutorials (generally it is here). Ask them and you'll get a definite answer. If you were to drop out now and resit the year next year you would only pay half fees but if you continue you may well be eligible for all of them and they're significant. You won't be the first nor the last who has had this issue but facing it head on and finding out the weighting of your assignments would give you a much clearer picture.

Thanks for your reply :) no I know for a fact that the writing isn't worth alot in them as the writing and attendance combined in soc and pol is just under 50 percent and for geography is only 15 percent per semester where as law is just the exam at the end of each semester not much assignments just a few small ones. I was just thinking that they may not let me progress through to second year because I didn't do the writing aspect of it but still got a good grade. I also receive the grant and got no emails ever regarding my attendance and I know loads who have, attendance isn't very important .What ya think ?
    Thanks again for the quick reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Hi guys. Im new to this and im really stuck and hope someone can help me. Im doing soc and pol, geography and law as my modules in first year. Ive only been in a handful of times and havent done any assignments apart from a few quizzes in geography but thats it. surprisingly though I managed to pass geography and just failed soc and pol which I dont mind because I have to repeat law anyways because I was sick on the day of the exam so I have to repeat that anyway. I just want to know that If I get 40 percent and pass all modules am I automatically into second year even If I didnt do assignments but I did really well in exams ? I took the piss for the first few months and starting to worry because I never go in but I do well in the end of semester exams > If I get 40 percent do I get into second year regardless of attendance or how many assignments ive done ? any help is greatly appreciated thanks :)
    Look up the course info on blackboard or go to subject department and ask the head of your year.
    If you pass the exams which are worth a third of the subject and attempt the CA you will pass. You will need to do something about the CAs but if unsure contact Cathal Sherlock in the SU and he can help you/guide you to where you may get help.
    ggg16 wrote: »
    Depends on the subject and Attendance at Soc/Pol may be taken on occasion it certainly wont be taken into account. Soc/Pol exams are MCQ and usually very very easy as evidence by when people do the exams 80% of the people doing the exam are out of the exam hall within 10 minutes of the 30 mins you are allowed to leave the hall.
    Thanks for your reply :) no I know for a fact that the writing isn't worth alot in them as the writing and attendance combined in soc and pol is just under 50 percent and for geography is only 15 percent per semester where as law is just the exam at the end of each semester not much assignments just a few small ones. I was just thinking that they may not let me progress through to second year because I didn't do the writing aspect of it but still got a good grade. I also receive the grant and got no emails ever regarding my attendance and I know loads who have, attendance isn't very important .What ya think?
    Thanks again for the quick reply :)
    As i said above your best advice is contact the department and if you are unsure or dont want to contact them talk to the education officer in the SU.

Advertisement