Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleas on pets

Options
  • 23-02-2017 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Does anyone know where in Ireland where i can get Nematodes as i was told it kills fleas outside in the garden.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Pets do not pick up fleas in your garden. The lifecycle of a flea doesn't facilitate fleas surviving like that, away from a host.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

If there's a birds nest in your garden, it could be the culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If there's a birds nest in your garden, it could be the culprit.

Not at all! Where did you get that from?

Unless the pets are birds. Dog fleas, cats fleas, birds fleas.... all different species and host specific.

Not at all! Where did you get that from?

Unless the pets are birds. Dog fleas, cats fleas, birds fleas.... all different species and host specific.

That's an Interesting fact.
    As student our house haddress a birds nest in the air vent. The fleas ended up in our beds.

OP should check the fleas species .

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Pets do not pick up fleas in your garden. The lifecycle of a flea doesn't facilitate fleas surviving like that, away from a host.

Quite the opposite, the flea population on the dog is about 5% of the population in the environment! However, fleas like warm, dark places so carpets, animal bedding and soft furnishings are more likely hiding places than your garden!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

.......and Nematodes are plural:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Springwell wrote: »
    Quite the opposite, the flea population on the dog is about 5% of the population in the environment! However, fleas like warm, dark places so carpets, animal bedding and soft furnishings are more likely hiding places than your garden!

Which does not contradict what Srameen said. Yes, fleas will live in the places you suggest as part of their life cycle, but they are not going to be picked up in the garden - unless they are picked up directly from another dog.

OP what's the fleas situation report?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looksee wrote: »
    Which does not contradict what Srameen said.
    i read that post as 'yes, it's quite the opposite', rather than 'no, it's quite the opposite'. took me a couple of seconds to realise that's probably what was meant, though.

Advertisement