Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBG tallaght lose Paddy

• 23-02-2017 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I see SBG Tallaght and Paddy Holohan have parted company..gutted for him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Tom1991

I see SBG Tallaght and Paddy Holohan have parted company..gutted for him.

Does he own own atleast a part of that or what always thought it was in part his gym

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Tom1991 wrote: »
    Does he own own atleast a part of that or what always thought it was in part his gym

I dunno.but he seemed genuinely delighted to be helping out his community....feel really bad for him...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Staffing issue the fb says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Danye

Madness that! I thought SBG Tallaght was "his" thing. Something he could earn a living from now that he couldn't fight? I seen him do a media piece recently and he didn't seem his usual self. Hope he's ok. He's a great guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I think he'll be ok, theres alot of support for him and alot of members are leaving to join his new gym. dont have a clue what happened tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Seems to be a legal dispute, such a shame.

I think he'll be ok, theres alot of support for him and alot of members are leaving to join his new gym. dont have a clue what happened tho

Is he opening a new gym??

Is he opening a new gym??

That's the plan. Most people go to SBG Tallaght for Paddy so he'll take a good chunk with him.

SBG Tallaght are looking for a replacement coach as of now.

Puts the other lad coaching in a precarious postion, I see Joey Breslin (top bjj guy) left too due to his loyalties with Paddy, complete ****storm for a new gym that cost a fortune I'd say to set up,

Paddy is a terrific coach have trained under him before and still use the stuff every time I roll that he taught me hope it ends well for him.

I'd say Paddy will have great success if he decided to open a new gym...SBG need Paddy more than Paddy needs them....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Gamebred wrote: »
    Staffing issue the fb says.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    SBG Tallaght are looking for a replacement coach as of now.

this doesn't add up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Looking at the fb post lots are cancelling dds and going elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Seems tallaght is getting another sbg with paddy as a coach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bit of a strange situation.

Paddy is seriously looked up to and will take with him a lot of the local lads, and long term members, the serious BJJ guys, etc.
    But it terms of running a gym, the value of "SBG/Conor" in terms of walk-ins and new years resolution members can't be overlooked either. Might not matter in terms of the competition team, but it matters to the bottom line.

But on the other hands, Paddy is an SBG Brown belt no matter where he goes. Depending on the issue, he could open his own affiliate.

Statement regarding SBG Tallaght and Paddy Holohan:

First off let me make it clear that I have never been treated poorly at SBG Tallaght. The staff have always made me feel welcome and I have never been involved in a dispute or argument with ownership or another member of staff / client.

It is the contrary, I have been treated extremely well, provided with a job that allowed me to survive while doing something i am extremely passionate about.

Paddy Holohan is one of my close friends. Myself and Paddy grew up on the mats of Straight Blast Gym. I can remember Paddy declaring his goals as far back as 2009: Fight in the UFC then eventually give back by teaching martial arts in his home town tallaght.

Paddy can no longer be part of SBG Tallaght, For reasons that do not apply for myself or any of the other coaches.

I wish no ill will to anyone involved in SBG Tallaght but this is a matter of loyalty and I must pick a side.

No matter what is said between the two parties i will support my long time friend and training partner Paddy Holohan and relinquish any duties at SBG Tallaght.

I am studying for a degree at the moment, This is my priority, i cannot risk legal action which would be detrimental to my living situation/ goals. With that considered I will wait for Paddy and SBG Tallaght to resolve their dispute before committing to coaching elsewhere.

Until then back to the chip shop..

Joey, are you still lurking on boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,123 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've no idea what's happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Paddy is running a class from the tallaght lesiure center this week while a new place is secured

MjREWIs.png

Where did that post come from?
    Was it a public announcement or a private group?
    No idea what's going on, just aware that Joey mentioned possibly legal action.

Mellor wrote: »
    Where did that post come from?
    Was it a public announcement or a private group?
    No idea what's going on, just aware that Joey mentioned possibly legal action.

From Paddy's own FB

• Advertisement

From Paddy's own FB
    That's fair enough then. It's not showing up for me. But my FB is knackered tbh.
    I thought the SBG D24 at the top was from a group or something.

Mellor wrote: »
    That's fair enough then. It's not showing up for me. But my FB is knackered tbh.
    I thought the SBG D24 at the top was from a group or something.

Yup it was in a group, its setup for people from SBG Tallaght who want to follow Paddy to his new gym.

What I'm most curious about is he seems to want to stay under the SBG banner, but has had a disagreement about firing someone with SBG Tallaght management that has led to him leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Hope he is being careful using names he is entitled to use etc, would be a shame to see him in the courts for any breach and losing money he has worked hard for in his shortened career as fighter. Paddy never really seems to want a lot, seems dedicated to helping others in his area.

What I'm most curious about is he seems to want to stay under the SBG banner, but has had a disagreement about firing someone with SBG Tallaght management that has led to him leaving.

I'm not such exact who "management" is exactly. But Paddy is a SBG brown belt. This doesn't change that. He could could fly around the world and open SBG China if he wanted (might not like their tea though).
    As long as he isn't blocked by SBG Ireland* he can open his own gym, wherever he wants.

*Not a guarantee either way, depends on a few variables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

unless someone sees the contract he signed, all speculation is just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

its time lads...."SBG Nomads" its the only answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

This is all very confusing :confused:

Did Paddy fall out with SBG Ireland/JK or with some money backers who took on the SBG Tallaght franchise?

I genuinely thought SBG Tallaght was Paddy's.

If he plans on opening a new SBG in D24 then surely he is still getting on OK with SBG HQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Paddy definitely did not have a falling out with John and SBG HQ. Everyone in SBG loves Paddy, and so does everyone who meets him.

The disagreement would be with the financial backers and partners of SBG Tallaght.

Its a real shame, but in the long run it will be good for they guys to have their own gym that they have control over.

Not a chance SBG Tallaght will last if he sets up another nearby, heard a rumour it was over them bringing in coaches and getting rid of one of paddys any truth to it'?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Gamebred wrote: »
    Not a chance SBG Tallaght will last if he sets up another nearby

Going by the comments on facebook (Which isn't really reliable but any way) that seems to be the case. A lot of people saying they are cancelling their membership and that the main reason they joined was because of Paddy. Hopefully, whatever happens next goes well for him.

Advertisement