Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest Glendalough 2017

Options
  • 23-02-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

After my debacle in Gaelforce I had to get back on the horse asap. Signed up for up for this and am in Wave 2. Absolute bargain at E94 :rolleyes:

Will scout out the area and train up there beforehands

http://www.questadventureseries.com/race/quest-glendalough/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Enjoy it.

It's difficult to say whether this is a runners or a cyclists race.
    The cycling has 4 tough climbs but all the runs are harder than they look on the map and cumulatively total about 20k. The run from the bikes to the kayak, that was surprisingly hard last year.

On the last cycle you can get a sneaky tow along from the stronger sports racers as you merge with their course. It does make it difficult to see where the other lads in the expert race are hiding though.

The kayak on the upper lake is what sets this race apart, it's a stunning beautiful setting in there.

here's a strava file of the course from last year https://www.strava.com/activities/554487520
    Here's just the cycling https://www.strava.com/activities/554983347

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Signed up for the same wave. Done the sport last year and really enjoyed it. The kayak was a visual treat at the end of the race.

Nervously excited about this. Last year was my longest event so this is that bit more. The running training has been hampered with a bit of an ankle niggle.

The aim is to finish at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

How does this compare to Gaelforce Dublin? I know it's longer...seems tougher

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Whyner wrote: »
    How does this compare to Gaelforce Dublin? I know it's longer...seems tougher

For the sport distance the runs are a lot tougher but on the bike there's nothing as bad as first climb in the Gaelforce event

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I put myself down for the expert on this... Is my first race of its type for me, am I screwed?

• Advertisement

I put myself down for the expert on this... Is my first race of its type for me, am I screwed?

YepðŸ˜

If you do a fair amount of running and cycling you'll be grand. It's a tad ambitious alright. I mean the clue is in the title: expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Enduro

It entirely depends on your level of fitness and how much training you're willing to do. But the title "expert" is meaningless marketing. It's just the longest of a set of short multi-sport races. You don't need any expertise to finish the "expert" version of this race.

If you can run approx 20k and cycle approx 40k you will be fine. As Enduro points out below.

Being able to realistically gauge your effort to your current fitness is where the pain or pleasure of the day comes in to it.
    Enduro wrote: »
    It entirely depends on your level of fitness and how much training you're willing to do. But the title "expert" is meaningless marketing. It's just the longest of a set of short multi-sport races. You don't need any expertise to finish the "expert" version of this race.

It's instructive to see how effective the meaningless marketing can be.

Peterx wrote: »
    If you can run approx 20k and cycle approx 40k you will be fine. As Enduro points out below.

Being able to realistically gauge your effort to your current fitness is where the pain or pleasure of the day comes in to it.

It's instructive to see how effective the meaningless marketing can be.

It's hill / mountain running though. Road running is all well and good but won't necessarily have you ready for it.

It's hill / mountain running though. Road running is all well and good but won't necessarily have you ready for it.

Getting though the expert event is very doable if you can run 20k, no matter what surface. You might have to go slower but you'll get there.

Once again (and to paraphrase the bould Enduro's advice on the ultra pages), go for it, you are more able then you think you are.

And the expert is most value for money :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Wave 2 : 57K : Runner Jogger ticket available.

Face value : €94 (includes the €9 ads ons upon check out)

I'm unfortunately pulling out injured.

@mods, I've contacted Quest and they've said it's ok to sell here, and that the name transfers are completed via active.com.

Any takers?

Jk_Eire wrote: »

@mods, I've contacted Quest and they've said it's ok to sell here, and that the name transfers are completed via active.com.

Any takers?

Price drop €75

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

Price drop €75

Registered for Wave 1 yesterday afternoon... Should have checked boards and saved €20.... Should always check boards before registering/signing up for anything!!!

Hopefully someone takes it off your hands, if any mates are looking for one I'll send them your way.

Now.... Time to start training!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Looking forward to this tough run and cycle but to canoe on the upper lake worth the trip...when I get there....will keep an ear out Jk entry is now closed so you might have a better chance transferring it.
    Check with the mods to see if you start it as a stand alone topic get more views...

I'm going to cycle with runners in a backpack for this one, reckon it will be worth it

Japanese hot tubs at the finish line!!!!!!!

Just looking at the email....
    Is there any registration available the morning of it in Glendalough?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

No registration available on the morning last year anyway. I imagine it's the same this year. Kind of a nuisance if you are near enough to drive to the start in the morning especially since there is no bike racking involved.

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    No registration available on the morning last year anyway. I imagine it's the same this year. Kind of a nuisance if you are near enough to drive to the start in the morning especially since there is no bike racking involved.

One last question for you.
    Whats the crack on water stops??
    It says limited so looking like be self sufficient....
    They only look to be at the start and finish of the map..

Honestly I don't know about the water stops. I did the Sport distance last year and what I had on the bike was plenty for me. Possibly had them at Lauragh GAA grounds but can't confirm that. Fire them off an email and They will confirm for you. They are usually pretty good to reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Friend of mine is injured and can't participate so PM me if you'd like to buy his entry once JK_Eire has sold his.

Imagine he would take €75 too

• Advertisement

Any takers?

No longer available

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Keller13

Hi Guys,

Sounds like some of you are pretty familiar with how this all works so I was hoping you could help me out with a few questions I have:

I don't see any times for transition opening/ closing on Saturday morning so not sure if there is anywhere you set up?

We are starting of on our bikes and then going onto the run - is there a place where you rack your bike and can leave your helmet ETC?

Is the transition area supervised or can anyone just walk in and take a bike out. When doing a triathlon you can only access the transition with your race number and take the bike that matches your race number - is it the same situation for an adventure race (hope so)?

Last question (I promise) is it ok for someone else to pick up your race pack - I would presume so if they have all the right details but just want to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

+1 all the questions I have too

Somebody can pick up race pack if they have your number. Send them on the text you get
    Need your number to take bike out of final transition. Not so strict on the in between transition points though or maybe I never noticed.
    You don't get your own designated area like tri so can be difficult enough to find the bike sometimes if you are mid pack. Tie a balloon to it helps alot 😀

I havent done any Quest brand ones before but from the other adventure races I have done...
    Keller13 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Sounds like some of you are pretty familiar with how this all works so I was hoping you could help me out with a few questions I have:

I don't see any times for transition opening/ closing on Saturday morning so not sure if there is anywhere you set up?
    I'd say parking in Laragh GAA pitch on the morning..Mass start from the pitch somehow as there is a drive way in I would imagine

We are starting of on our bikes and then going onto the run - is there a place where you rack your bike and can leave your helmet ETC?
    Bog standard scaffold tubing racks on a first come first served basis throw your bike on the rack with your gear away you go

Is the transition area supervised or can anyone just walk in and take a bike out. When doing a triathlon you can only access the transition with your race number and take the bike that matches your race number - is it the same situation for an adventure race (hope so)?
    I would imagine there is a steward but not sure about checking numbers in transitions

Last question (I promise) is it ok for someone else to pick up your race pack - I would presume so if they have all the right details but just want to be sure.
    Yeah as long as they have the text I am sure its ok

Hope this helps but email them im sure they will respond

Was mandatory kit checked last year? Stinger bringing hats, gloves and jacket on what looks to be one of the best days so far this year

MANDATORY KIT
    It is vital that all competitors bring the following mandatory kit list with them from the start.
    Basic First Aid Kit (Min: 1 x Dressing Pad (field dressing)), Bandage, Plasters.
    Map of the route (included in your race pack).
    Survival blanket and whistle.
    Appropriate food and drink. There will be limited water re-filling points on the course.
    Cycle helmet, bike repair kit, spare tube, pump.
    Hat, gloves and waterproof jacket.
    Suitable footwear.
    Backpack or bum bag.
    All kit will be checked before the race.

Mandatory kit was checked last year on the expert route. Not on the Sport.
    Controlled rolling start from the GAA grounds. Speedbumps on the driveway in so they give it a bit of a run out the road before leaving it off

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    Mandatory kit was checked last year on the expert route. Not on the Sport.
    Controlled rolling start from the GAA grounds. Speedbumps on the driveway in so they give it a bit of a run out the road before leaving it off

Cheers, doing expert. Going with backpack. How are you carrying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

Mandatory kit should easily fit in the pockets of a cycle jersey.

• Advertisement

Mine is going in jersey pocket. Get somebody on the start line to safety pin the pocket closed.
    I usually get away with carrying a gilet instead of jacket

Advertisement