Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest Glendalough 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

They checked my kit on the sport last year but it wasn't the most rigorous check.

I had no jacket , hat or gloves and they didn't ask to see it.

It's be a bit of a farce if it's 15 degrees and sunny and they're asking to see your hat and gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

I asked a friend who did the sport last year as well.  didn't bring hat and gloves either but told them they were in their jacket and didn't ask to see them...not sure will they be a bit stricter on the expert?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

They checked mid race on Expert last year. The check at the start is a glance at best.
    Throw everything in the helmet and you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

fletch wrote: »
    Mandatory kit should easily fit in the pockets of a cycle jersey.

True, but wearing cycling shoes. Can leave backpack on the bike when running

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

Whyner wrote: »
    True, but wearing cycling shoes. Can leave backpack on the bike when running
    You need your mandatory kit with you on the runs though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Are there really only two water stations?

They seem to be on the last 6k run and at the finish line. Strange placement.

I'll have to dig out a second cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Are there really only two water stations?

They seem to be on the last 6k run and at the finish line. Strange placement.

I'll have to dig out a second cage.

Only water at start and finish. Best of luck tomorrow folks. Weather looks great!

4:11:40... What a day.. Even the scarcity of bog roll and water couldn't ruin it.. Was aiming for under the four hours but that'll do.

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    4:11:40... What a day.. Even the scarcity of bog roll and water couldn't ruin it.. Was aiming for under the four hours but that'll do.

Super stuff........I was an hour behind you :(

Legs were having none of it after the second run. They got a serious talking to later that night

I found the cycles grand but the runs were torture, fair play to anyone who didn't walk up part of those hills, especially Croaghanmoira

The descent on the second cycle was hairy. Reckon I topped 70kph, my mate told me someone came off right in front of him at that spot

Great day alright but they could have given more than a coffee cup of stew and an apple at the finish line, was expecting more on the t-shirt front also. Scenery was unbelievable but even at that I'm not sure I'd cough up E94 to do it again

That back support on the kayak was a gift from the Gods and then getting off into the knee deep cold water was soooo refreshing. Felt great on the last 2k...

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Legs were having none of it after the second run. They got a serious talking to later that night

I found the cycles grand but the runs were torture, fair play to anyone who didn't walk up part of those hills, especially Croaghanmoira

The descent on the second cycle was hairy. Reckon I topped 70kph, my mate told me someone came off right in front of him at that spot

Great day alright but they could have given more than a coffee cup of stew and an apple at the finish line, was expecting more on the t-shirt front also. Scenery was unbelievable but even at that I'm not sure I'd cough up E94 to do it again

That back support on the kayak was a gift from the Gods and then getting off into the knee deep cold water was soooo refreshing. Felt great on the last 2k...

I think the field was more competitive this year. I did the sport and improved my time by around 7 mins compared to last year but finished 5 places further back. Lots of people passed me on the cycle which was demoralising but I picked up a few places on the runs so I guess it evens out.

Incredible day for it. Thought the whole thing was so well run compared to Gaelforce Dublin. Even got a rub down after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

To be fair my first Quest event and after my experience on Gaelforce Dublin I was just expecting another expensive day out...
    How wrong was I! Maybe the great weather added to it but really enjoyed it and was kinda a party feel to the finish.
    Tough event, great scenery when I had the chance to take it in and to paddle on the upper lake was once in a lifetime job...(thanks Triona from Kerry)
    Comparing my time to the winner how do you make up an hour?? fair play all who completed regardless of time.

Anyone any ideas to find the photos of the event seen plenty of lads taking shots?
    Usually freelance lads trying to make few quid as i dont see any on the official website..im not on FB..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Anyone any ideas to find the photos of the event seen plenty of lads taking shots?
    Usually freelance lads trying to make few quid as i dont see any on the official website..im not on FB..

Ian Pelly, search on FB, it looks like hes slowly uploading alot.

I found him on the events FB page, lots of very low res,, not printable versions, hes selling prints.

Yeah the descents were scary...I was on the brakes nearly constantly, thought they were gonna go up in flames lol...I'm not surprised there were fallers, I lost a bottle on that decent and luckily there was nobody behind me.

If anyone ran up Croaghanmoira fair play to them..It was the only point I questioned was I gonna finish it...what a view from the top tho!!

I seen a load of pics on FB last-night..wasn't in any of them, I'll check again hopefully there's more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Mod Note: have removed talk about copyright infringement on photos, which having checked with the mods in the photography forum, is illegal. feel free to say what users on facebook have them, but no more talk about how to get around protection mechanisms the owner of the pic has placed on them, even if you are in them. contact the owner if you want to use them

any questions pm me or one of the other mods, don't reply in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

To be fair my first Quest event and after my experience on Gaelforce Dublin I was just expecting another expensive day out...
    How wrong was I! Maybe the great weather added to it but really enjoyed it and was kinda a party feel to the finish.
    Tough event, great scenery when I had the chance to take it in and to paddle on the upper lake was once in a lifetime job...(thanks Triona from Kerry)
    Comparing my time to the winner how do you make up an hour?? fair play all who completed regardless of time.

It was my 4th quest race, 2 in Killarney and 2 in Glendalough, the organisation of the events is superb and way ahead other similar events, they are expensive but in my opinion they are worth it, especially when they organised weather like Saturday!!

Does anyone know if those first 2 runs are always open to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

Yes...I recce'd them last year with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Coilte trails as far as i know so youll be grand...
    Presuming you are driving over and not to frighten you empty your glovebox/compartments and leave them open and bring whatever other valuables you have with you. Some amount of car break in's around the Wicklow area as people know you are away from the car for a while in remote areas. Terrible to have to say but just let you know.
    I intend going over again soon to take in the views...

Coilte trails as far as i know so youll be grand...
    Presuming you are driving over and not to frighten you empty your glovebox/compartments and leave them open and bring whatever other valuables you have with you. Some amount of car break in's around the Wicklow area as people know you are away from the car for a while in remote areas. Terrible to have to say but just let you know.
    I intend going over again soon to take in the views...

Ah that's crap to hear. I always throw everything in the boot but never thought of opening the glove box. Hopefully they just take my car...:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

The section of the first run after you leave the fire road and go uphill between fence and ESP poles is on private farmland and we get permission for the event to use this, make a gap in fence to access, etc.

The farmer is an agreeable sort but naturally does not want fences damaged so that stock might escape and is very insistent on No Dogs on his land so please keep that in mind if enjoying this run.

Run 2 is generally fine as long as folk do not stray from paths and down into Ballinacor estate which is private.
    Normal walker access to Croghanmoire mountain is from the Slieve Mann / Drumgoff Gap highpoint on the road between Glenmalure and Aughavannagh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement