Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job, misled by employer, job gone after two weeks.

Options
  • 23-02-2017 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Two weeks ago I started a new job with a multinational company.

I previously had a job and done an interview for a trainee workshop engineer leading onto a field service engineer and in the interview was told this would take 12 months I would be starting off by asset stripping for the first couple of months.

I got a good feeling from the interview and decided to hand in my notice, I started two weeks ago and yesterday after being given my two ids and gridcard login plus branded workwear that morning I get told that evening there is no job for me.

Because the asset stripping has been cancelled there is now no work for me, which leaves me to feel I was lied to in the job description and the interview as i was initially told that was just a couple of months work to get me used to the job.

Do I have any coarse of action I could take? I realise there's probably not.

I should also mention I was initially employed through an agency and told this was only a temporary thing.

Apologies for the long winded post just trying my best to give a clear description of what happened.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Unfortunately you would seem to be an employee of the agency rather than the multinational and your ire should quite rightly be directed at them. Check your contract for notice period, whatever it is, the agency will have to pay you for that period.

This does not sound right though, credentials in the morning, let go in the evening. I wonder is there an issue between company and agency and you were caught in the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

davo10 wrote: »
    Unfortunately you would seem to be an employee of the agency rather than the multinational and your ire should quite rightly be directed at them. Check your contract for notice period, whatever it is, the agency will have to pay you for that period.

This does not sound right though, credentials in the morning, let go in the evening. I wonder is there an issue between company and agency and you were caught in the middle?

No I don't think the agency has anything to do with it really, I applied for the job directly with the company and done my interview with them then they passed me over to the agency who I've barely had any contact with.

It's a strange and frustrating situation especially since I had a job already and took a pay cut to come here.

I might contact the agency though this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It sucks, but some multi nationals pull this kind of shyte regularly. Left and right hands don't know what each other are doing, one hires you while the other is cancelling the project.

Only thing to do is more hob hunting, its likely the agency is as annoyed with the situation as you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don't see you have any avenues here.
    For whatever reason the job is gone and your not needed. .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Labarbapostiza

Because the asset stripping has been cancelled there is now no work for me, which leaves me to feel I was lied to in the job description and the interview as i was initially told that was just a couple of months work to get me used to the job.

This kind of thing goes on. A company I worked for needed people for the Christmas rush. All the people hired left full time jobs, were told loads of lies, and were all on the dole by February.

It goes on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement