Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Civil Service Union should I join?

• 23-02-2017 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

May I know joining which Civil Service Union advisable for people working in Irish Civil Service as EO / CO - PSEU / IMPACT / CPSU / etc, in terms of services to employees, union membership fees etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

in civil service Clerical officers are represented by CPSU..EO / HEO / AO are represented by PSEU.
    in wider public service (HSE LOCAL AUTHORITIES ITs) most clerical grades are represented by IMPACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

None

None

Current pay terms and conditions.. like holiday and sick leave etc have been fought for by union members over the decades..the only way to ensure these conditions remain is to be part of a union protecting them....ALWAYS join a union...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Zipppy wrote: »
    in civil service Clerical officers are represented by CPSU..EO / HEO / AO are represented by PSEU.
    in wider public service (HSE LOCAL AUTHORITIES ITs) most clerical grades are represented by IMPACT.

They are all looking to amalgamate -- which will make it a bit easier to understand! :)

Current pay terms and conditions.. like holiday and sick leave etc have been fought for by union members over the decades..the only way to ensure these conditions remain is to be part of a union protecting them....ALWAYS join a union...

Also useful if you find yourself invited to a meeting with HR...

• Advertisement

Yeah because collective bargaining really helps staff to be progressive, doesn't surpress ambition and promotes entreprenism. Sure.

It is the complete opposite, fosters fighting for the lazy and builds a sense of anti work inertia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Yeah because collective bargaining really helps staff to be progressive, doesn't surpress ambition and promotes entreprenism. Sure.

It is the complete opposite, fosters fighting for the lazy and builds a sense of anti work inertia

Yeah you're right, but its compensated by the €1000 payrise kicking in in April and the gold plaited public service pensions. Thanks.

Donal55 wrote: »
    Yeah you're right, but its compensated by the €1000 payrise kicking in in April and the gold plaited public service pensions. Thanks.

Gold plated for pre 1995 entrants. If unions are so good why then do new entrants get copper pensions in comparison

Yeah because collective bargaining really helps staff to be progressive, doesn't surpress ambition and promotes entreprenism.

I wish I knew what entreprenism was... :(

Creol1 wrote: »
    I wish I knew what entreprenism was... :(

I love it when someone's only point is to correct spelling mistakes or typos. Nice to know you add value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Eh, an employer paying unsatisfactory or unfair wages generally doesn't help staff to be progressive or promote ambition and entrepreneurship either...

Does it? Sounds like a generalisation based on zero evidence. Unions are as fundamental to the market place as employers seeking profit maximisation. You don't suppose to argue that only employers are allowed to make profits, and not workers? How very un-Entrepreneurial of you.

Eh, an employer paying unsatisfactory or unfair wages generally doesn't help staff to be progressive or promote ambition and entrepreneurship either...

Does it? Sounds like a generalisation based on zero evidence. Unions are as fundamental to the market place as employers seeking profit maximisation. You don't suppose to argue that only employers are allowed to make profits, and not workers? How very un-Entrepreneurial of you.

Evidence I need? Wheres yours so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,325 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Imagine if there never was a labour movement. You probably wouldn't have been in a position to type that, and I probably wouldn't have been in a position to respond. Just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Evidence I need? Wheres yours so?
    I'm not the one making baseless assumptions...

I'm not the one making baseless assumptions...

No assumptions

I love it when someone's only point is to correct spelling mistakes or typos. Nice to know you add value

Sorry sunshine, but it wasn't a spelling mistake or a typo. You didn't misspell a word. You used a word that doesn't exist. You pretend to care about hard work...maybe you should have done some in school (if you went to one).

It's like anything. ..the weak want a union, the self sufficient don't need one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Been a co for nearly a year and I haven't joined the union - no intention either. Maybe when I'm a heo and need the income continuance just in case...

Been a co for nearly a year and I haven't joined the union - no intention either. Maybe when I'm a heo and need the income continuance just in case...

When COs get the extra €1,000 unions have negotiated for them, you obviously won't be taking it then?

Creol1 wrote:
    When COs get the extra €1,000 unions have negotiated for them, you obviously won't be taking it then?

Well said.....

• Advertisement

Well maybe without the unions people would be paid for their ability and not their grade so a go co, or equivalent, would earn what they deserve, not what is on their payscale.

Surprised peoplease can't see how collective bargaining can be counter productive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I have my issues with some of the ways that the public sector unions operate,but regardless of whether you are public or private sector,if you are able to join a union in your workplace,you should.

Leaving aside he fact that many of the rights we take for granted are the result of collective bargaining,if you have a HR issue your employer will likely have solicitors backing them up in the last resort.An employer will not have the resources to take on legal representation-which is where a union comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,433 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You can thank them for the 10% cut to new entrant salaries, the points lost when the salary scales were amalgamated and the far worse pension entitlements for post-2013 staff.

Yeah, alot of PS workers owe nothing to unions that didn't lift a finger to stop them getting screwed over way above and beyond the cuts they took.

Advertisement