Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Options for keeping battery charged

• 23-02-2017 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 03 Passat that is pretty good condition. I am not interested in changing it yet but I have one problem. Over the last three years I have needed to change the battery approximately once per year. After a year I start needing to get a jump and even a long drive does not resolve that problem for long. Two mechanics told me that there is no draw on it so my only conclusion is that it is because of my driving habits. Sometimes I will not drive the car from one end of the week to the other, and if I do it will only be down the road with the heater on, radio, lights etc.

I don't mind the expense of putting a new battery in each year but I do mind the hassle of having to get a jump when I'm trying to go somewhere. I've had to cancel small trips and it's just a real pain in the ass.

I was thinking about a trickle charger but the problem there is I don't have a garage so I'd need to connect it in the drive way. I'm not sure if that's a good option at all.

So, before I go out today and buy another new battery, does anyone have a recommendation on what I could do? If I did get a trickle charger, could I connect it now (without removing the battery) to charge it up and if so, how long would that take? Would I be better off getting some other type of charger? Or should I just go ahead and replace the battery?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

budgemook wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a 03 Passat that is pretty good condition. I am not interested in changing it yet but I have one problem. Over the last three years I have needed to change the battery approximately once per year. After a year I start needing to get a jump and even a long drive does not resolve that problem for long. Two mechanics told me that there is no draw on it so my only conclusion is that it is because of my driving habits. Sometimes I will not drive the car from one end of the week to the other, and if I do it will only be down the road with the heater on, radio, lights etc.

I don't mind the expense of putting a new battery in each year but I do mind the hassle of having to get a jump when I'm trying to go somewhere. I've had to cancel small trips and it's just a real pain in the ass.

I was thinking about a trickle charger but the problem there is I don't have a garage so I'd need to connect it in the drive way. I'm not sure if that's a good option at all.

So, before I go out today and buy another new battery, does anyone have a recommendation on what I could do? If I did get a trickle charger, could I connect it now (without removing the battery) to charge it up and if so, how long would that take? Would I be better off getting some other type of charger? Or should I just go ahead and replace the battery?

Thanks

Disconnect the battery if you know it won't be driven for a while maybe? Not the most practical idea I know..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's solar trickle chargers you can get, these are ideal if the car is left idle for long period of times. However, your problem is more your high drain low use where your likely parking the car back with less charge than when you took off so it may not be suitable to replenish.. Lidl/Aldi have them from time to time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Solar-Powered-Car-Battery-Charger/dp/B00AC1LLQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487849243&sr=8-1&keywords=solar+trickle+charger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Joe 90

I had the same problem on an Exige that I had. The Elise that I had previously did not have the problem so I put it down toe the fact the the Exige had a tracker. I fitted one of these and the problem disappeared.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007C7CJT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Funny enough, the day I fitted it a guy pulled up in a van. He asked what I was doing and when I told him he said that his new van had exactly the same problem due to the Tracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Some cars with keyless entry have problems with excessive battery drain when not in use, but I suspect that wasn't an option on a '03 Passat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Joe 90 wrote: »
    I had the same problem on an Exige that I had. The Elise that I had previously did not have the problem so I put it down toe the fact the the Exige had a tracker. I fitted one of these and the problem disappeared.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007C7CJT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Funny enough, the day I fitted it a guy pulled up in a van. He asked what I was doing and when I told him he said that his new van had exactly the same problem due to the Tracker.

What's a tracker?

I might not be understanding correctly but if it was being caused by the tracker, would the draw not be detected by the mechanic?

And to be sure on your recommendation, it is:
    - Replace the battery with a new one
    - Install the battery cut off switch
    ?

• Advertisement

Some cars with keyless entry have problems with excessive battery drain when not in use, but I suspect that wasn't an option on a '03 Passat?

Nope!

Like I say though, mechanic said there isn't excessive drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Nope!

Like I say though, mechanic said there isn't excessive drain.

What does the mechanic deem as excessive? (In mAs)

corglass wrote: »
    What does the mechanic deem as excessive? (In mAs)

couldn't tell you. I'm bringing it for a service next weekend and I'll ask him.

Tomorrow I'll replace the battery.

Regarding the switch above - using this means losing radio stations etc right? Small price to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Maybe if there isn't excessive drain when parked but you're still experiencing problems with your battery, then possibly your alternator is not charging the battery properly.

Also I would get it tested how much exactly is the car driving (in milliampers).
    You can do it with any basic multimeter with 10A option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Joe 90

What's a tracker?

I might not be understanding correctly but if it was being caused by the tracker, would the draw not be detected by the mechanic?

And to be sure on your recommendation, it is:
    - Replace the battery with a new one
    - Install the battery cut off switch
    ?
    The tracker is a device that can be interrogated remotely to locate the car if it is stolen. It does have it's own internal battery so it would not show a drain on the car battery until the car has been unused for a while, a week possibly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement