Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Norwegian Airlines €311/€313 returns Ireland-USA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Mokuba wrote: »
    The flights are available to us too?

The reasons have been outlined for why I think it is a poor deal. Baggage costs if you don't take + option, landing in airports far away from desired location, comfort, convenience, customs preclearance etc. If you think it is a good deal then good luck to you. Seems to be a 50/50 divide.

Where is the begrudgery? I'm very confused.

Anyway - best of luck to anybody availing of this deal. Would advise to think before jumping in feet first.

Again you wrongly seem to think the USA consists of downtown Boston and downtown New York.

These flights are great value for anybody looking to do some touring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

If flying to Stewart in NY, one can get at taxi to beacon which is 15 mins away and then get a train to grand central station costing around €15. I'd put up with the hassle tbh. Only I have four holidays booked between now and July (don't ask) I'd 100% be going.

Oh, no recession there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Oh, no recession there...

Just hard work and harder saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Went to book Cork to Providence earlier and got two adults and a child return fare for €417 all in....just got to payment section and someone called to the door, by the time I got back the page had timed out and when I refreshed, the fares had shot up.

Gutted :mad:

Managed to get new dates in November instead - two adults and one child return Cork to Providence for €420!

No longer gutted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

For those complaining about lack of pre-clearance, given the size of Stewart this is not going to be much of an issue. It's a bit different arriving into JFK with dozens of other flights at the same time and arriving in Stewart where this is likely to be the only international flight arriving!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ted1 wrote: »
    For ten days you'll need some baggage , how much will the flight be including flights, baggage, food and drink and transport to Manhaten.

Just to point out the concept of onebagging (or ultra light travel), which has become increasingly popular with people who do lots of travelling.

There are plenty of people who back pack around the world for 6 months or more with nothing but a carry on bag. It really isn't as difficult as you might think.

You wear your heavy clothing, jeans, boots, jacket, jumper and just bring a few pairs of socks, jocks and t-shirts and wash them during the trip and 8 to 10 days out of one bag really is pretty easy.

I use to massively over pack, but then I discovered onebagging, gave it a try and found it fantastic. I found it made travel faster and easier, no waiting around to check in luggage or pick up checked luggage or worry about lost luggage. Easier to jump on and off buses, metros, etc. and of course no baggage fees.

Might not be for everyone, but can be a lot of fun for those who try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

For those complaining about lack of pre-clearance, given the size of Stewart this is not going to be much of an issue. It's a bit different arriving into JFK with dozens of other flights at the same time and arriving in Stewart where this is likely to be the only international flight arriving!

Took me 1/2 hour to get through customs between Niagra and Buffalo. There was only two of us and no one else at the bridge.

bk wrote: »
    Just to point out the concept of onebagging (or ultra light travel), which has become increasingly popular with people who do lots of travelling.

There are plenty of people who back pack around the world for 6 months or more with nothing but a carry on bag. It really isn't as difficult as you might think.

You wear your heavy clothing, jeans, boots, jacket, jumper and just bring a few pairs of socks, jocks and t-shirts and wash them during the trip and 8 to 10 days out of one bag really is pretty easy.

I use to massively over pack, but then I discovered onebagging, gave it a try and found it fantastic. I found it made travel faster and easier, no waiting around to check in luggage or pick up checked luggage or worry about lost luggage. Easier to jump on and off buses, metros, etc. and of course no baggage fees.

Might not be for everyone, but can be a lot of fun for those who try.
    I'm well aware of one bagging, I travel with work and often get away with two suits several shirts, board shorts etc in 1 bag
    Most things are cheaper in the states, plenty of people bring back far more than they leave with ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Not so sure about this logic , I have landed in Fort Lauderdale from Gatwick with Norweigan,
    Our flight was ontime but there were 2 International arrivals at that time and the line went on forever . I was travelling with wife and 3 kids. Luckily as I had been in NYC a few weeks earlier with work on the same ESTA and they were looking for people who met this criteria and we were processed at the automatic station ,

It took us an hour to get through both customs and immigration and we literally were allowed to skip 80% of queue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm well aware of one bagging, I travel with work and often get away with two suits several shirts, board shorts etc in 1 bag
    Most things are cheaper in the states, plenty of people bring back far more than they leave with ;)

Fair enough. Though I have to say when I was in Manhattan last November, I didn't come back with a single item. Didn't really find it cheaper at all, not compared to buying online anyway and the weakness of sterling at the moment. But then maybe I'm not the target demographic for this sort of shopping.

BTW for those interested, Norwegian offers free wifi on their flights. Which is amazing. It wouldn't be fast enough to stream video, but fine for allowing you to browse boards etc. which can help the time pass very fast IME.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Bargain Blake

Meh! No Business class!!!!

Meh! No Business class!!!!

It is a Ryanair style, low cost carrier on this route anyway. All one class. Plenty of business class options available from other airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

BTW for those interested, Norwegian offers free wifi on their flights. Which is amazing. It wouldn't be fast enough to stream video, but fine for allowing you to browse boards etc. which can help the time pass very fast IME.
    No wifi in international long haul, according to their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If flying to Stewart in NY, one can get at taxi to beacon which is 15 mins away and then get a train to grand central station costing around €15. I'd put up with the hassle tbh. Only I have four holidays booked between now and July (don't ask) I'd 100% be going.

There will be a bus shuttle service to New York city .

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    No wifi in international long haul, according to their website.

They say most of their flights, including the ones between the US and Caribbean do:

https://www.norwegian.com/en/travel-info/on-board/free-wifi/

It seems some of their first Dreamliner 787's don't have wifi, which they currently use for transatlantic, but all their 737-800's do.

These new routes will use a new aircraft, 737-Max 8, so you are correct, there is no certainty of it. Though this aircraft is just a variant of their 737-800's so perhaps a greater possibility it will have it.

I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

Also no indication if these new aircraft will have In Flight Entertainment and power at seats or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Pete123456

They say most of their flights, including the ones between the US and Caribbean do:

https://www.norwegian.com/en/travel-info/on-board/free-wifi/

It seems some of their first Dreamliner 787's don't have wifi, which they currently use for transatlantic, but all their 737-800's do.

These new routes will use a new aircraft, 737-Max 8, so you are correct, there is no certainty of it. Though this aircraft is just a variant of their 737-800's so perhaps a greater possibility it will have it.

I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

Also no indication if these new aircraft will have In Flight Entertainment and power at seats or not.

On that link at the bottom it says "WiFi is currently not available on our international long-haul flights."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

I asked on their twitter what the story would be with immigration and individual to screens

@shardylan ;Hello. You will go through immigration upon arrival in NYC. There will not be individual screens, only overhead screens. Rgds.PC

Pete123456 wrote: »
    On that link at the bottom it says "WiFi is currently not available on our international long-haul flights."

Yes, but that is for their existing long haul product, which is completely different from this product, which is very new and unique.

Their existing long-haul is like Aer Lingus, they use the 787 Dreamliner, a large, high capacity, long distance, wide body aircraft, with android touch screen entertainment system and power plugs at every seat and a business class.

These new flights from Ireland are a completely different type of product. More like Ryanair. They will be using 737-Max 8, which is just a slightly longer distance version of the 737-800 used by Ryanair. It is a relatively short distance, low capacity, narrow body aircraft, with just one class. And the cheaper ticket prices reflect this.

I see they have just confirmed no IFE. I'd also expect less comfortable, more Ryainair like seats.

However all of Norwegians 737's have wifi, so I'd expect these new 737's will too.

It would be good if someone could ask them on twitter, if they have wifi and power at the seats (sorry I don't have a twitter account).

Note that if they do have wifi, that they also offer movies and TV shows over the wifi streamed to you laptop or tablet, at an extra cost of course.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I asked on the live chat if the new flights will have free wifi and they said no, but they hope to introduce this at some point in the near future.

That is disappointing. Pretty spartan service so. I flew before with Norwegain to Oslo, the free wifi was great and made it such a more pleasant experience.

A deal is a deal and good to see extra competition but being in one of these planes for 7 hours will be rough.

• Advertisement

That is disappointing. Pretty spartan service so. I flew before with Norwegain to Oslo, the free wifi was great and made it such a more pleasant experience.

A deal is a deal and good to see extra competition but being in one of these planes for 7 hours will be rough.
    I believe the issue with WIFI is the cost. Over land flights allows them to use ground base stations but for flights over sea they need satellites which is more expensive and also causes issues with aerodynamics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Just an FYI those airports are a long ways away from the big city neighbour.
    ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, its worse than Paris-Beauvais. With family north of the city these routes are almost worthless :(
    Looks like Providence/Boston-TF Green (where Cork flies into) is at least 1.5 hours to Boston proper when you arrive

130 extra return for a meal + 20kg bag.

Are there screens on the plane for everyone? 7hr 45 is a long time without it
    Mokuba wrote: »
    The airports they are going to are so far away from cities that it creates extra stress and cost. Newburgh Stewart is 60 miles away from downtown NYC. People who go to New York know how far away JFK seems to be and Newburgh is triple the distance!

The last thing people want to be doing after a 6-7.5 hour flight is travelling another 60 miles either through various public transport systems or a hugely expensive taxi.

..........Aer Lingus bring you closer to the destination..........

This is a bargain for maybe 5 percent of people. For everyone else I wouldn't go near it - completely empty hype.

What some of you are forgetting is that we don't all live next to Dublin or Shannon airports either so we tend to factor in extra travelling time anyway (and more often than not 'dodge the traffic' schedules as well) plus it costs extra by train/bus/car to get there between fuel, food, tolls etc.

I'm 5 minutes from Cork Airport so Shannon is at least an hour and a half, Dublin 2 and a half and Heathrow a little bit further !! I've traveled to and from the US from all three and it's when arriving back home that it's a PITA having to travel further. Now I can go to Boston (or to NY from there) and when I get home I have 10 mins max of extra travelling. It's just adding the travel time on the far side rather than on this side.

Suits me fine and I'm sure it'll suit a lot of others as well.

Re bags... I've never brought any more than one bag anywhere on holidays - and a smallish half empty one at that. Short trips ? Minimal clothes needed. long trips ? Clothes can be washed and the likes of tshirts and towels can be bought and discarded pretty cheaply. My regular travel bag is a 'Ryanair' size case and I've used that on trips to the US, Iceland, Sweden, UK, Spain and Belgium that I can think of offhand.

Worried about battery life on an iPad / tablet ?? Bring a book !! Sometimes the simple solutions are best :)

I believe the issue with WIFI is the cost. Over land flights allows them to use ground base stations but for flights over sea they need satellites which is more expensive and also causes issues with aerodynamics

No, the ground based systems are only in the US, there is no such system in Europe. Norwegian use a KU Band Satellite system, which would work over water no problem.

It seems the issue with their KU Band system on the 787's is that the KU Band system hasn't been certified for use on the 787 by Boeing from an article that I read about it.

However I thought the 737-Max being a variant of their 737-800 that does have wifi, that it would be the same, but the Max's seem to have the same certification problem as the 787's

A real pity.

That is their 737-800, the same as what Ryanair use. On these routes they will be using new aircraft, the 737-Max 8, which is a longer variant of the above and not yet listed on seatguru
    Worried about battery life on an iPad / tablet ?? Bring a book !! Sometimes the simple solutions are best :)

Or just charge it before you leave. iPads have between 12 and 15 hours of battery life which should be plenty for this flight. The issue would more effect laptop users, lots of laptops have only 3 to 4 hours of battery.

From here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102726564&postcount=258
    The airport also will increase connectivity to Manhattan with additional buses offering direct service from the airport to the Port Authority Bus Terminal for just $18 each way, Cuomo said.

Sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

That is their 737-800, the same as what Ryanair use. On these routes they will be using new aircraft, the 737-Max 8, which is a longer variant of the above and not yet listed on seatguru

No surprise about SeatGuru! As far as I can tell Boeing haven't actually delivered any MAX 8 planes to any airline yet.
    http://www.seattletimes.com/business/southwest-is-launch-customer-for-boeing-737-max-but-wont-get-the-first-delivery/
    https://www.planespotters.net/operators/Boeing/737/737-MAX-8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Re:New York...
    Depends on where you are going really. Might not suit going to Manhatten or Queens say, but if you are going to family there is a decent chance they are North of NYC if they are a long time there. Anyone in say Pearl River of North of yonkers will probably tip up to Newburgh as quickly as going to JFK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The 737MAX8 will be no longer overall than the 737-800. Cabin length may be slightly longer though but on Norwegians website, they claim 31" of pitch for the new flights to be operated by the 737MAX8, just the same as seatguru claims for their current 737-800

Zonda999 wrote: »
    The 737MAX8 will be no longer overall than the 737-800. Cabin length may be slightly longer though but on Norwegians website, they claim 31" of pitch for the new flights to be operated by the 737MAX8, just the same as seatguru claims for their current 737-800

It is pretty similar, but not the same aircraft. For instance their 800's have wifi, but there seems to be no wifi on the max's. So you need to take the info on seatguru with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Plenty of Summer dates are already showing as full so this being of use to 5% of potential travellers is nonsense.
    These are amazing prices and you can bet your first born they'll be sold out for the foreseeable future.

I can never understand people (without kids & who are not rich) choosing to go somewhere direct and paying double rather than go indirect for half the cost.
    Anytime I go to the US, it's nearly always with KLM/Lufthansa or BA through AMS, LHR or FRA saving around 40% of the price of an EI ticket.
    As for bags, entertainment and food - pack light, bring your iPad and a packed lunch.

5% probably an underestimation, but for Irish people going to USA, this would be of interest to less than 10% of the market.

However, remember that they also made a big splash stateside, so the millions of people within an hour drive of those USA airports are getting great prices to fly into Dublin, Cork and Shannon.

And with Euro near parity, Ireland is extremely good value destination for Yanks.

My guess is 70%+ bookings are commencing in USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The only thing they have going for them is preclearance.
    Debatable, like i said, I'd prefer to clear over there...

One aspect people don't seem to see is that Providence itself is a great city - perfect for a short break, superb New England foilage in autumn, outlet shopping (if you're into that) 20 mins away in Wrentham (MA 0% sales tax on clothing), decent beaches in vicinity and good historic town centre.

because like I say, you know in Ireland, you need to show up an extra 1.5- 2 hour earlier to pre-clear. That is probably beyond a worst case scenario in the states, I walked out of McCarran in several minutes after routing via the uk. Also those red eye flights are killer, an extra 1.5-2 hours in bed, when i am travelling that distance, makes a big difference to me. The pre- clearance thing is absolute hype, lapped up by the masses that dont do any critical thinking. I am not accusing people on this forum of that, we are obviously all clued in enough to make our own informed opinions..
    I can see your point, but your not always going to clear immigration in 10 mins state side. At least you can relax while doing pre clearance / waiting around.
    each to their own, I would absolutely opt not to take it, if there were a choice in dublin... When I am travelling that distance, i want the absolute least time arsing around airports and in planes. Also on the arrivals side, I would absolutely be prepared to pay extra for fast track, immigration (within reason)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Idbatterim wrote: »
    because like I say, you know in Ireland, you need to show up an extra 1.5- 2 hour earlier to pre-clear. That is probably beyond a worst case scenario in the states, I walked out of McCarran in several minutes after routing via the uk. Also those red eye flights are killer, an extra 1.5-2 hours in bed, when i am travelling that distance, makes a big difference to me. The pre- clearance thing is absolute hype, lapped up by the masses that dont do any critical thinking. I am not accusing people on this forum of that, we are obviously all clued in enough to make our own informed opinions..

Dublin might be a different scenario but Shannon is an absolute breeze - almost no wait whatsoever. For Shannon, it's definitely not hype.

yeah in Dublin they said there will be 50 flights daily to the US over summer, shannon would be a lot less. Depends on what staffing v passenger ratio is like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

I'm afraid they'll have to do more than a petty tweet.
    I'm a platinum aerclub member but they lost out 2 x return fares to the US from me this week.
    €654 saving made (based on the same dates).

Oh, and that pre-clearance is nonsense too. The Dublin queues can be just as long (or short) as the stateside ones.

But they don't fly to the same airports, so direct comparison saving can't be made.

If Norwegian airports suit you and their baggage and meal policy suits, that's great - but it won't suit most.

And with 90%+ capacity fill on planes, aer lingus won't mind much - tens of thousands of yanks coming here due to weak euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Are meals included? I don't mind having to do clearance in jfk. Would like to send my mother during the summer to her aunt. What is the rough price everyone is paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Pete123456

e
    cena wrote: »
    Are meals included? I don't mind having to do clearance in jfk. Would like to send my mother during the summer to her aunt. What is the rough price everyone is paying?

meals are extra on the cheapest lowfare ticket. €32.50 each way which is crazy money for an inflight meal. Either book the lowfare+ to include a meal and a checked bag or just book the bag alone and buy something beforehand in the airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

This post has been deleted.

Agree here plus last time i flew Aer Lingus they ran out of breakfasts before they got to me. The seats on the new Aer Lingus A330s too are terrible. So competition for them hopefully will wake them up.

Id say they are worried they were just as arrogant when Ryanair entered the Dublin London market. If they get the volume out of Dublin they may put on an 787 to Newark or JFK and Boston. I noticed they listed Newark on their site but havent put a flight to anywhere from there yet. They are testing the waters with small planes out of Dublin first.

jjbrien wrote: »
    Id say they are worried they were just as arrogant when Ryanair entered the Dublin London market. If they get the volume out of Dublin they may put on an 787 to Newark or JFK and Boston. I noticed they listed Newark on their site but havent put a flight to anywhere from there yet. They are testing the waters with small planes out of Dublin first.

This big time, if I was Aer Lingus, I'd be seriously concerned.

Norwegian has 29 more 787's on order, the biggest purchase in Europe. These aren't replacements for older jets, so clearly they have plans to use them on new routes and expand across Europe.

This new NAS service will give them a strong presence in Ireland, get their name out their in the publics mind and allow them to get a feel of how demand is between Ireland and the US. If demand is strong, then I could absolutely see them putting some of those 787's in Ireland to fly to JFK, etc.

Yes, that would be more like an AerLingus TA type service. Big aircraft, main airports and thus probably prices closer to AL.

But I could see NAS operating both the cheaper type of LCC routes and some 787's to bigger airports eventually if the demand is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

Norwegian has 29 more 787's on order, the biggest purchase in Europe. These aren't replacements for older jets, so clearly they have plans to use them on new routes and expand across Europe.

This new NAS service will give them a strong presence in Ireland, get their name out their in the publics mind and allow them to get a feel of how demand is between Ireland and the US. If demand is strong, then I could absolutely see them putting some of those 787's in Ireland to fly to JFK, etc.

Yes, that would be more like an AerLingus TA type service. Big plan, main airports and thus probably prices closer to AL.

But I could see NAS operating both the cheaper type of LCC routes and some 787's to bigger airports eventually if the demand is there.

I flew NAS for the first time recently - the overall experience was far superior to that of EI. The cabins were newer, the crew were much friendlier, the BoB options were much better - absolutely fantastic experience. I'm sure half the people on here only defend them because they're "Irish" (even though they're now a unit of a british-Spanish multinational airline holding company).

For those of us that don't need to pack half our wardrobes to go to the U.S. for a week, this is fantastic.

Also great news on the Stockholm route - about time SAS had some competition.

Yeah my experience of flying NAS to Oslo a few years ago was excellent.

I know they are LCC the same as Ryanair and fly the same aircraft, but it felt like a big step up from Ryanair and it was an impressive experience.

- The Free wifi was great, really helped the time fly by :D
    - Better seats then Ryanair. Then have pouches and nets, etc. for magazines, water, etc.
    - Much nicer colour scheme, light grey and red, looks much nicer and professional compared to Ryanairs puke yellowpack colour scheme.
    - No annoying announcements and heavy selling, etc. you get on Ryanair.

Just an overall more pleasant experience. In fairness to Ryanair they are moving the same way now, at least in some aspects.

However it should be pointed out that while Norwegians European flights are nicer then Ryanair, I would expect these 737 flights to be a lot less comfortable to Aer Lingus TA flights or NAS's other 787 long haul flights. It is a very different product type.

In the below article, the Norwegian CEO specifically says that they will also open bases in San Francisco and LA. Those would definitely require 787, rather then 737.

Now they will probably fly from Scandinavia and UK there first, but if the demand is there, I could see them flying from Dublin too.

http://airnation.net/2016/12/06/norwegian-air-order-boeing-airbus-planes/

Yes, that would be more like an AerLingus TA type service. Big aircraft, main airports and thus probably prices closer to AL.

Its seems some people think that a new alternative service will suddenly down an airline like aer lingus and they almost take glee in such a ridiculous idea.

More ridiculous still is thinking that nas $99 deal will be available all the time.

It provides additional options, it will grow the market, it will not affect aer lingus in the slightest nor any of the other usa bound carriers.

It will be handy for some to connect to other lesser cities in usa, for those who travel light and have no problem being 100km away from key cities and don't wish for airline food (yes, it will suit me)

However, I'm due to go to USA in September (ohio) looked at going via providence as southwest will get me from Providence to ohio for $65 ew but cheapest return flight is over €450 giving total cost with no meal and no baggage of about € 550.

Aer lingus via Washington and onwards to Cleveland is €608 all in - incl meals and baggage and pre-clearance.

I'll pay the extra €58!

Btw their bigger target is usa travellers near their usa bases to Europe, connecting via Dublin.

• Advertisement

In the below article, the Norwegian CEO specifically says that they will also open bases in San Francisco and LA. Those would definitely require 787, rather then 737.

Now they will probably fly from Scandinavia and UK there first, but if the demand is there, I could see them flying from Dublin too.

http://airnation.net/2016/12/06/norwegian-air-order-boeing-airbus-planes/
    Routing flights from the U.K. Through Ireland would mean cheaper flights for those living in the U.K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I was on their website checking European flights and for a lcc they're not exactly cheap.
    Granted I was only checking specific routes so perhaps other routes and TA flights are cheap in comparison.

Delacent wrote: »
    Its seems some people think that a new alternative service will suddenly down an airline like aer lingus and they almost take glee in such a ridiculous idea.

It provides additional options, it will grow the market, it will not affect aer lingus in the slightest nor any of the other usa bound carriers.

I'm sorry, but you are the one making ridiculous claims!

No one said this will down Aer Lingus, please link to a single comment who said that?

However it is also equally ridiculous to say that this won't have any effect on AerLingus.

NAS is one of the fastest growing airlines in Europe. They are an Irish registered airline and now will have a substantial presence in Ireland. They have 100 Max 8 and 29 787's on order and they are going to use them on TA. They could well use these 787's out of Dublin in future.

If I was Aer Lingus I would be very worried about this strong new competitor in my backyard. Yes the overall market will grow, but it will also put significant pressure on AerLingus profitability. What if in the next year or two NAS decides to start flying 787's from Dublin to JFK and San Francisco? Would you still take it would have no effect on Aer Lingus then?

However as consumers we should be delighted with this extra competition.

I'm sorry, but you are the one making ridiculous claims!

No one said this will down Aer Lingus, please link to a single comment who said that?

However it is also equally ridiculous to say that this won't have any effect on AerLingus.

NAS is one of the fastest growing airlines in Europe. They are an Irish registered airline and now will have a substantial presence in Ireland. They have 100 Max 8 and 29 787's on order and they are going to use them on TA. They could well use these 787's out of Dublin in future.

If I was Aer Lingus I would be very worried about this strong new competitor in my backyard. Yes the overall market will grow, but it will also put significant pressure on AerLingus profitability. What if in the next year or two NAS decides to start flying 787's from Dublin to JFK and San Francisco? Would you still take it would have no effect on Aer Lingus then?

However as consumers we should be delighted with this extra competition.

Ok, so no specific "glee" but certainly that is the tone of some very misinformed posts.

Just like Ryanair, they primarily fly to secondary airports which provide generous incentives.

Just like Ryanair they have headline grabbing prices - but you find for the popular days and dates, nothing near the headline price is available, but still value for the thrift passenger.

If they flew to jfk or other main airport they would not be able to offer the same pricing due to far higher charges by those airports hence aer lingus won't be affected.

They will grow the market and open it to people who may not have looked to Europe (from USA) as a holiday destination. Or USA for Europeans (providence is a fab city)

Ok, so no specific "glee" but certainly that is the tone of some very misinformed posts.

Just like Ryanair, they primarily fly to secondary airports which provide generous incentives.

They fly to JFK using 787's out of Scandinavia already and plan to fly SFO and LAX. You don't get more primary then that.

Again they have 29 more 787's on order, the biggest order for them in Europe and now a very large presence in Ireland. Trust me Aer Lingus will be seriously worried.

In many ways NAS are a bigger threat to AL then if Ryanair started doing TA. Ryanair do purely LCC. But NAS is more of a hybrid airline. It will now being doing both LCC TA and it already does full service TA, so it is probably even a greater threat to AL business model. It can do LCC TA on the long and thin routes and it can ramp up full service 787's where it sees the demand.

If they flew to jfk or other main airport they would not be able to offer the same pricing due to far higher charges by those airports hence aer lingus won't be affected.

Again I have to disagree. If NAS put 787's on the DUB-JFK or DUB-SFO routes, then that would be a very serious threat to AL. Yes, you are correct they couldn't have the same LCC costs as the 737 routes, but an extra 350 seats on a 787 every day to JFK and SFO would over night cut AL's market share in half and likely lead to a bloody price war.

Also remember that the 787's are some of the newest aircraft in the world, they are much newer then AL's slightly tired old Airbus's, so would have a significantly better in flight experience which might attract away many of AL's valuable business customers.

I agree with you that AL aren't going to die, that is just silly. AL has done a great job surviving Ryanair and now has some serious fire power behind it with IAG behind it and great opportunities for growth with IAG.

But don't kid yourself if you think AL aren't seriously worried about this development and that it won't have any impact on them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement