Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Norwegian Airlines €311/€313 returns Ireland-USA

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Mr.S wrote: »
    Exactly!

Its weird how people are complaining about the low fares / no extra services / alternative airports.

Aerlingus tweeted this gem:

https://twitter.com/AerLingus/status/834802022096498689?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The only thing they have going for them is preclearance.

Aer lingus are a terrible airline. I love how they list those 'free' things when it's clearly factored in to their more expensive fare. I'd rather pick and choose what I want re bags, food, etc. and save myself some cash.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jive wrote: »
    Aer lingus are a terrible airline. I love how they list those 'free' things when it's clearly factored in to their more expensive fare. I'd rather pick and choose what I want re bags, food, etc. and save myself some cash.

Aer Lingus are already talking today about introducing a similar seat only fare for people like you and me to compete with NAS.

See, new competition is good for almost all consumers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

bk wrote: »
    Aer Lingus are already talking today about introducing a similar seat only fare for people like you and me to compete with NAS.

See, new competition is good for almost all consumers.

Yup, nothing like a low cost carrier going in to make the 'elite' airlines pull their finger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Again I have to disagree. If NAS put 787's on the DUB-JFK or DUB-SFO routes, then that would be a very serious threat to AL. Yes, you are correct they couldn't have the same LCC costs as the 737 routes, but an extra 350 seats on a 787 every day to JFK and SFO would over night cut AL's market share in half and likely lead to a bloody price war.

Also remember that the 787's are some of the newest aircraft in the world, they are much newer then AL's slightly tired old Airbus's, so would have a significantly better in flight experience which might attract away many of AL's valuable business customers.

yeah going LA distance or San Fran, the aircraft would have a bearing on who i book with, all of the other stuff is spurious nonsense in my opinion, like aer lingus with their tweet and claims. But I really am sick of flying long haul on older aircraft. I would be prepared to pay a bit more to fly on newer aircraft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They fly to JFK using 787's out of Scandinavia already and plan to fly SFO and LAX. You don't get more primary then that.

Again they have 29 more 787's on order, the biggest order for them in Europe and now a very large presence in Ireland. Trust me Aer Lingus will be seriously worried.

In many ways NAS are a bigger threat to AL then if Ryanair started doing TA. Ryanair do purely LCC. But NAS is more of a hybrid airline. It will now being doing both LCC TA and it already does full service TA, so it is probably even a greater threat to AL business model. It can do LCC TA on the long and thin routes and it can ramp up full service 787's where it sees the demand.

Again I have to disagree. If NAS put 787's on the DUB-JFK or DUB-SFO routes, then that would be a very serious threat to AL. Yes, you are correct they couldn't have the same LCC costs as the 737 routes, but an extra 350 seats on a 787 every day to JFK and SFO would over night cut AL's market share in half and likely lead to a bloody price war.

Also remember that the 787's are some of the newest aircraft in the world, they are much newer then AL's slightly tired old Airbus's, so would have a significantly better in flight experience which might attract away many of AL's valuable business customers.

I agree with you that AL aren't going to die, that is just silly. AL has done a great job surviving Ryanair and now has some serious fire power behind it with IAG behind it and great opportunities for growth with IAG.

But don't kid yourself if you think AL aren't seriously worried about this development and that it won't have any impact on them!

To be fair the Norwegian premium service is basically a premium economy product, I'm not even sure they have lounge access in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Delacent

Yep, they fly from Scandinavia to San Francisco.

Cheapest return between mid june and mid September is over €700.

Cheapest off peak in late April is over €400.

Add baggage + meal and its another €140.

So, flying to premier airports currently is no cheaper that other airlines.

As i said - if it suits, its great, north America to Europe is a fast growing market and plenty of space for all and it opens europe to a totally new and additional market.

Affecting aer lingus or the other airlines flying to premier airports - nope, not an iota. Simply a different target market.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Delacent wrote: »
    Yep, they fly from Scandinavia to San Francisco.

Cheapest return between mid june and mid September is over €700.

Cheapest off peak in late April is over €400.

Add baggage + meal and its another €140.

€400 to fly to SFO, that is outstanding!!

I regularly fly to SFO and double that is the norm!!!

Also the point is they fly 787 Dreamliners to SFO. Trust me even if the price was exactly the same as AerLingus, the vast majority of people would choose to fly on a 787 Dreamliner over a pretty old AerLingus Airbus.

The 787 is Boeings newest aircraft, it has a fantastic new interior. Extra large windows that leave extra light in, electric window tinters, nicer new seats, brand new Android powered IFE, extra large overhead bins, new air conditioning system designed to reduce jet lag, LED mood lighting. Check it out on youtube.

Trust me people who are into flying can't wait for the first regular 787 service to come to Dublin. If NAS were to bring the 787 to Dublin to the likes of SFO, JFK, etc. people would run to use them versus Aer Lingus. They are a far newer and nicer then Aer Lniguses aircraft.

It is absolutely laughable to try and pretend that Aer Lingus wouldn't be seriously concerned about a major new competitor like NAS entering their market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

Trust me people who are into flying can't wait for the first regular 787 service to come to Dublin. If NAS were to bring the 787 to Dublin to the likes of SFO, JFK, etc. people would run to use them versus Aer Lingus. They are a far newer and nicer then Aer Lniguses aircraft.

There already is one. Ethiopian to LAX (and ADD). Qatar Airways will also be using 787s from Dublin when they launch flights in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Jet Blue in the states has also ordered the A321 neo and is considering going transatlantic with it too https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-26/jetblue-places-3-6-billion-airbus-a321-jet-order-to-expand-mint

They currently offer a good economy service stateside and a full service business class product called mint. Aer Lingus is getting some serious competition over the summer into Dublin with United laying on a 777 and delta putting on its usual 767-400. Along with Norwegian thats a lot of extra capacity been layed on over the summer will surely hit Aer Lingus's pockets.

VG31 wrote: »
    There already is one. Ethiopian to LAX (and ADD). Qatar Airways will also be using 787s from Dublin when they launch flights in May.

Yup, though the Ethiopian flight just stops for fuel doesn't it, it doesn't pick up passengers.

And yup people are already excited about Qatar using the 787 heading east. An operator heading west with 787's would make even a bigger splash IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭greenoverred

Yup, though the Ethiopian flight just stops for fuel doesn't it, it doesn't pick up passengers.

And yup people are already excited about Qatar using the 787 heading east. An operator heading west with 787's would make even a bigger splash IMO.

I hope it does pick up passengers. I've a flight booked Dub-Lax return direct for October. Meals, Decent luggage allowance, etc. €359.

Now that is a bargain.

Still plenty of availability all through the summer. Puts this Norwegian Airlines offering into perspective

I hope it does pick up passengers. I've a flight booked Dub-Lax return direct for October. Meals, Decent luggage allowance, etc. €359.

Now that is a bargain.

Haha, brilliant, sorry, my bad. And yes, that is fantastic value to fly to LAX on a 787, lucky you.

I regularly fly to SFO and double that is the norm!!!

Also the point is they fly 787 Dreamliners to SFO. Trust me even if the price was exactly the same as AerLingus, the vast majority of people would choose to fly on a 787 Dreamliner over a pretty old AerLingus Airbus.

The 787 is Boeings newest aircraft, it has a fantastic new interior. Extra large windows that leave extra light in, electric window tinters, nicer new seats, brand new Android powered IFE, extra large overhead bins, new air conditioning system designed to reduce jet lag, LED mood lighting. Check it out on youtube.

It is absolutely laughable to try and pretend that Aer Lingus wouldn't be seriously concerned about a major new competitor like NAS entering their market.

Have you flown to the west coast in Economy? You are vastly over playing the difference a 787 would make, it's still crap. NAS seat pitch is 31" with a width of 17", EI is 31-32" with a width of 17". I've flown a lot of economy in 787s and really it's a slightly different cabin. Thats it. Some of the EI A330s are new too and more are to follow.

The Premium economy is decent value, but it's not business class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have you flown to the west coast in Economy? You are vastly over playing the difference a 787 would make, it's still crap. NAS seat pitch is 31" with a width of 17", EI is 31-32" with a width of 17". I've flown a lot of economy in 787s and really it's a slightly different cabin. Thats it. Some of the EI A330s are new too and more are to follow

The Premium economy is decent value, but it's not business class.

I fly to KL in a brand new Dreamliner but BA still made a balls of it by putting the bulky entertainment system at your feet, and that was premium economy. So it's not just pitch and width it's what's at your feet

ted1 wrote: »
    I fly to KL in a brand new Dreamliner but BA still made a balls of it by putting the bulky entertainment system at your feet, and that was premium economy. So it's not just pitch and width it's what's at your feet

Flying the 787 myself with Virgin from Heathrow to JFK im May in premium economy also. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

jjbrien wrote: »
    Flying the 787 myself with Virgin from Heathrow to JFK im May in premium economy also. Looking forward to it.

Are you a pilot? Respect!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Bargain Blake

DUB-LHR-LAX with Virgin on a shiny new 787 with all the services and bags, €354 booked 3 weeks in advance last month. Couldnt fault it.

Are you a pilot? Respect!

Wish i was used to work in the airport but not as a pilot never left the terminal lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

At $1.05 to €1 I wont be flying there anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

mattser wrote: »
    At $1.05 to €1 I wont be flying there anytime soon.

I think you have to exchange at least €5 minimum in case you do fancy going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I can appreciate that. To me, these are minor or non existent inconveniences and I'm sure, plenty of other budget travellers are in the same boat.
    Cost and safety are my number 1 considerations. Everything after that can be substituted with some pre organised due diligence.

What you'll find with these new routes are new businesses popping up that will take you directly to the major city once you step off your flight.
    Most Ryanair airports have them and it's pretty straightforward and cheap in the majority of cases.
    Load up the iPad, don the Bose QCs and ignore the outside world until you're outside your hotel!

Providence has been dealing with Southwest flights for years and is well set up, but this Stewart International place looks pretty awkward to get to New York from.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Providence has been dealing with Southwest flights for years and is well set up, but this Stewart International place looks pretty awkward to get to New York from.

Stewart Airport is putting a new coach bus service direct to Manhattan in place, $18

Noticed today Aer Lingus dropped their prices for later in the year and its a pretty big discount like 100 euros or usd cheaper round trip. Makes me think they are affaid but im happy as it put me coming home for xmas into my price range. Wonder how long it will be until we see a basic fare with no meals, bags or entertainment on trans Atlantic with Aer Lingus, United, AA and Detla. The US based airlines are starting to do it on domestic flights.

Yep that's my point. Long haul economy is crappy. A 787 doesn't change that.

Looks like prices have dropped a bit. Not to the original €69 deal, but looks like about €315 return through the summer months is widely available.

As a comparison a Norwegian Dub to NY July 4th to 10th €315, Aerlingus same dates €650

Great savings there!

• Advertisement

Yep that's my point. Long haul economy is crappy. A 787 doesn't change that.

That has nothing to do with the aircraft or economy. That is due to BA's decision to continue to use old, outdated IFE's

IFE's that are just a tablet fitted to the seat and take up no or very little space at the feet are the default option from Boeing for the 787. However unfortunately arilines are free to buy seats and IFE's from other companies and have them fitted instead, as KLM seem to have done.

I agree it is mad, in this day and age of super thin ipads, there is absolutely no excuse for bulky IFE's

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/132721-boeing-787-dreamliner-powered-by-android-and-69tb-of-solid-state-storage
    The IEFCs are completely integrated — all of the hardware is stored in the seat-back unit (there’s no under-seat box).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Looks like prices have dropped a bit. Not to the original €69 deal, but looks like about €315 return through the summer months is widely available.

As a comparison a Norwegian Dub to NY July 4th to 10th €315, Aerlingus same dates €650

Great savings there!

I got my flight to NYC from 3-8th July for €182 incl a bag on return leg.Compared to aerlingus who wanted €735 even with the distance from manhattan I'd say once the transport links are running it'll be fine .I think I got a great deal & am not bothered about food I'll buy a sandwich .
    About time Aerlingus had to actually worry about some competition and maybe lower their prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Mokuba wrote: »
    The airports they are going to are so far away from cities that it creates extra stress and cost. Newburgh Stewart is 60 miles away from downtown NYC. People who go to New York know how far away JFK seems to be and Newburgh is triple the distance!

The last thing people want to be doing after a 6-7.5 hour flight is travelling another 60 miles either through various public transport systems or a hugely expensive taxi.

They have checked baggage of up to 20kg which is not included - also not included in these fares is the seat or a meal (usually average at the best of the times but often welcome)

So when comparing to Aer Lingus - a known entity who fly to these areas for 400€ regularly when booked plenty in advance - Aer Lingus bring you closer to the destination, give you a better baggage allowance and from my experience of flying - take decent care of you and provide a decent experience.

This is a bargain for maybe 5 percent of people. For everyone else I wouldn't go near it - completely empty hype.

5 percent of people, don't think so.

You can get a 10 person limo for 170 dollars and hour, multiply the saving for 10 people and it's huge, plus you get a limo door to door.

Would totally suit young/single couples, groups of hens/stags etc.

So maybe not for families, but who brings their kids to NYC anyways?

IMO it's the other way around, it wouldn't suit the minority and would suit the majority, plenty of people are willing to save on flights and have money to spend there than the other way around.

I've never brought more than carry on going places, maybe women need more stuff but just buy stuff there and send it separately to it's destination with and excess luggage service.

JFK is 20 miles from Manhattan, while Stewart is 60 miles.

However that doesn't tell the full story, the road between JFK and Manhattan suffers from congestion much worse then from Stewart.

For instance right now, Google Maps says JFK to Manhattan will take 1hour and 5 minutes. While Stewart to Manhattan is just 1hour and 36 minutes. And you can see why from Google Maps, a lot of the road from JFK is red, while most of the road from Stewart is green with just a little Orange coming into Manhattan.

Just 30 minutes longer, you could easily end up spending that at JFK with the long walks and waiting for luggage.

The coach from JFK is $18, exactly the same cost as the one from Stewart.

Yes, JFK also has the option of the subway for $8. But having the misfortune of taking that while in NYC last November, never again!

Not only was in shoulder to shoulder on the subway on the way to JFK (with luggage, hell) but two fights almost broke out right next to me during the trip! Just across from me two very large guys started shouting at one another, swearing and threatening to knife one another! I'm not sure what started it.

But then a few minutes later a very overweight lady who was right next to me kicks the lady sitting in front of her (yes on purpose, argument over seat), the lady sitting jumps up and kicks her right back and says do you want to fight! The overweight lady runs off at the stop!

Seriously the red line luas has nothing on NYC subway. I had taken a Uber Pool "taxi" from JFK when I arrived as my friend who lives there had warned me not to take the Subway late at night, but I thought during the day would be ok on the way back, but now I totally understand what she was on about. I'd take a coach in future or Uber Pool again, though it was a pricey $50 and that is with it sharing with other people along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Stewart Airport is putting a new coach bus service direct to Manhattan in place, $18

Any source of that info BK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Ah, found it on the Stewart Airport website. Its $20 adult and €10 for child. One hour 20 into NYC.
    Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Sesame wrote:
    Any source of that info BK?

NAS tweeted it in reply to Aer Lingus a few days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

one for the airline anoraks, of which my mate is one, here's his thoughts on the norweigan flights:

'Planes are regional at best, don’t even have ETOPS yet so the 1st few months will be at least 30m longer as they need to be within 90min of an airport

Once the autumn winds pick up and through winter they won’t have the range to do it nonstop so will have to “stop” in gander or st johns

Prices are low but then basically have to pay for everything else which gets pretty pricy'

one for the airline anoraks, of which my mate is one, here's his thoughts on the norweigan flights:

'Planes are regional at best, don’t even have ETOPS yet so the 1st few months will be at least 30m longer as they need to be within 90min of an airport

Once the autumn winds pick up and through winter they won’t have the range to do it nonstop so will have to “stop” in gander or st johns

Prices are low but then basically have to pay for everything else which gets pretty pricy'

Boeing put in for the ETOPS rating last summer, by the end of the year these planes will be etops rated. Its no different than flying united, AA, Aer Lingus on a 757 sometimes they have had to make stops in St Johns as well when the wind was bad. My dad was flying Air Canada on a 767 from Dublin to Toronto it had to make a stop in Montreal as it didn't have enough fuel to make it all the way due to the headwind.

Granted you have to pay extra for food, a bag and seat selection. Until a few years ago you only got allocated a seat at checkin at the airport so its not a new thing just an extra luxury.

I currently am looking for a flight in August from the NYC area to Dublin
    Aer Linugs are one way $657
    United are at $1017

Norwegian $200 including a bag and a meal and seat selection. Its a no brainier for me.

Advertisement