Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being asked to appear in videos for work

Options
  • 23-02-2017 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello all,
    I'm just wondering whether I have a right to refuse being recorded (video and/or audio), or any other use of my image (e.g. webinars) as part of my work. I do not mean as part of surveillance, I mean as in being asked to create videos or audios.
    It is not a core part of my job (i.e. not a model or voice-over artist! :P)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

If it's being used for promotional material you could (should) do... if they're "candid" shots like at an open day whereby you happen to be in the photo, you'd probably have a hard time contesting that.

Probably best action is to speak to HR and / or check your contract to see if it outlines this.

The furthest I go is creating screencasts for how-to's (with no voiceover), so I understand your concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Feel your pain as well.

Over 10 years ago, for a company call centre I used to work for, the company wanted to record some tech support calls, well, just a couple really positive sounding ones that ended on a positive note.......

.....then management decided......"wait - STAGED, FAKE tech support calls" with another agent standing in for the 'customer' would sound even better!"

This is what was done.

Some years later, this tech support role was outsourced from ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I guess it depends on what your job is. If part of your job is to train other people or to promote things, then id see it as part of the role.

Fwiw, I think it would be far worst to work for, say, Revenue and have to sign nasty letters to people using your own name. Compared to that, being in a boring training video.... blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 parazard

Thank you all for all the different replies and angles. I guess it must be a bit of a grey area. It's definitely not part of my job description (not a marketing person) and there is no HR :eek:

I have a feeling you cannot be forced in using your image if you don't want to...It would be nice to know for sure just in case the issue is pushed (particularly about webinars!!!). Anyone know who would know?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

You could check with the data protection commisioner at www.dataprotection.ie although I'm not sure this comes under their remit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It's personal data so you can refuse. I got my picture taken down from a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

parazard wrote: »
    ...It would be nice to know for sure just in case the issue is pushed (particularly about webinars!!!). Anyone know who would know?

Every webinar I've attended, no pictures were shown. Voices and screen-capture are sometimes recorded - and refusing this would get you fired for not doing the basic job requirements ( IT work with overseas customers).

Some people do keep a yellow sticky over the camera in their laptop, just in case anyone tries to access it. This is ok, so long as youre participating and sharing documents as required.

Advertisement