Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferries heading north.

• 23-02-2017 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

I just saw Stena Europe heading north past Blackwater. Now it looks like Irish Ferries Isle of Inishmore is following her.

Have they abandoned docking in Rosslare and are now heading for Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you look at their past track they appear to have sailed north as far as almost Arklow and then turned back, only to head back north again. Not sure what the point of that is, it's not like they're aircraft and have to go into a holding pattern, unless it's so that they can keep sailing with their stabilizers working to keep their passengers relatively comfortable rather than sitting in one place bobbing up and down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I'm doing it the old fashioned way: looking out the car window. :D

It would make sense for them to keep some kind of forward momentum alright. I'd hate to be on board right now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I know it's absolutely honking out there, but would it really be impossible to get into Rosslare given it's an offshore wind (albeit F7 gusting F9 eek.png)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Vic_08

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I know it's absolutely honking out there, but would it really be impossible to get into Rosslare given it's an offshore wind (albeit F7 gusting F9 eek.png)?

Impossible; no, Risky; yes.

Rosslare is quite exposed and the wind direction would be blowing right across the berths as well. It is about the ability to fully control the ship while docking.

Even a slow speed collision can cause serious damage, just look at the Ben-My-Chree incident from last week.

There has also been disruption at Dublin today, Epsilon and Stena Nordica stayed at port while Stena Adventurer made similar loops around South Dublin for a few hours before being able to dock and has dropped a crossing too. Only Ulysees has managed to keep close to schedule, her berth at Dubiln being E-W and taking less crosswind than Stena's N-S is probably the main reason.

Fair enough, I'm not familiar with the layout of Rosslare harbour and the berths.

Don't envy those passengers trundling up and down the Irish Sea since 5am this morning :eek:

There are now 3 ships all converging on Rosslare, those two from the North and Stena Horizon from the south - I wonder will any of them go for it this time???

ETA - a bit belatedly, I zoomed in on Rosslare - it's wide open to the NW wind!!! No wonder they ran a mile! I'd just assumed that it opened to the east. My bad.

• Advertisement

Looks like they're all in safe and sound now.

Alun wrote: »
    Looks like they're all in safe and sound now.
    I'd say there's some very relieved passengers wobbling their way down gangplanks down there :D

Looks like some of the Dublin bound ferries were doing the same thing except heading southwards as far as Bray.

Advertisement