Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troy Studios

• 23-02-2017 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

There was huge hype surrounding Troy studios aver the last 18months and it was billed as a key part of Limerick 2030. The studios have been ready a few months now. Just wondering if anything has been filmed there yet (movies or TV) or is anything planned??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Strettie11

Noticed last week in 1 of the Sunday papers there was a small article detailing that Troy studios and Pinewood studios had ended there global marketing agreement.

I do not know if this is good or bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

I do worry that this is going the same way as Limerick 2030 where a big announcement is made but nothing ultimately follows on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

sleepyman wrote: »
    I do worry that this is going the same way as Limerick 2030 where a big announcement is made but nothing ultimately follows on

The studio has been built and opened. Nothing aspirational about it. Getting business in there is now down to the managment team.

anything happening at Troy Studios ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Isnt there new studios being set up in kerry and dublin aswell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bigpink wrote: »
    Isnt there new studios being set up in kerry and dublin aswell

I heard that the Dublin one didn't get planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

Troy had an open day a few months back. there not just opening a business, there trying to create an industry in the region. plenty of talented people but lacking experience at the level required. Troy will need experience make up artists, costume designers, set designers, carpenters lighting engineer (qualified trade electricians with degrees) and marketing and office staff. theres huge potential for the area but this will all have to start off small and build. from what i hear they are willing to train/upskill these people.

Limerick is far ahead of the competition tho, Dublin are in very early stages of planning near poolbeg. they will have easier access to talent, but troy already have facilities sorted. iftn.ie is your best source for news on this topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭goochy

heard something about film industry not in good state here these days - not sure if taxes have changed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Having worked in the industry in the area the last few years , the talent is very much there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

On twitter the Leader are advertising tomorrow's paper and are claiming that a major TV show is set to film in Troy Studios.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote: »
    On twitter the Leader are advertising tomorrow's paper and are claiming that a major TV show is set to film in Troy Studios.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

All I have heard is Troy Studios were contacting warehouse owners looking for a significant amount of cold storage for a major project.

Maybe Winter is coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Winter has already arrived

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Strettie11 wrote: »
    All I have heard is Troy Studios were contacting warehouse owners looking for a significant amount of cold storage for a major project.

Maybe Winter is coming

Jon Snow is coming to Limerick :eek: Oh my god, I would not actually be able to cope if this is true?!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Has anybody seen the Leader today? What show are they talking about?

Hopefully its a show called " lets build another exit to the tech park"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Parts of the History Channel's Vikings series are filmed in Ireland too. Wouldn't mind if Canadian beauty Katheryn Winnick was out for a stroll there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Announcement expected in the coming weeks, but no details - link

Hopefully not limerick leader hot air

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

This just a silly season article or is it solid?
    Has anything smaller been made there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

According to the Sindo NBC Universal are to film a new series based on an early book by Game of Thrones author George R. R. Martin. It's a sci-fi series and anticipated to create over 500 jobs. It hasn't been confirmed yet but it's front page of the Sindo business section so I'd be fairly sure it's not just talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

pigtown wrote: »
    According to the Sindo NBC Universal are to film a new series based on an early book by Game of Thrones author George R. R. Martin. It's a sci-fi series and anticipated to create over 500 jobs. It hasn't been confirmed yet but it's front page of the Sindo business section so I'd be fairly sure it's not just talk.[/quote

I've read some of his earlier sci fi. It's definitely not in the same league as Game of Thrones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lol, Jim Corr is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Jim Corr - no,no - just someone who is sad to see what happens when people who have no idea what they are doing are let loose with millions of other peoples money ..............Troy is a real turkey and the media know it and are keeping a lid on it.

Ya Irish media has always swept Limericks issue's under the carpet!

The test for Troy was landing its first production.

Nobody knows what will happen after that, not you, not I not the media...

It is an ambitious enterprise...good luck to them...

anyone want to house a few of the boys ?

http://nigeldugdale.ie/2017/09/05/nightflyers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I really hope this works out! Would be great for Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Accommodation will be a huge issue for them imo. I just started college a couple of weeks ago and have a classmate sleeping on my coach while they search for a space. No rooms or houses to be found anywhere close to Castletroy or the city centre. I imagine most of these film/media types would want to live in the hustle and bustle of a city also .

panda100 wrote: »
    Accommodation will be a huge issue for them imo. I just started college a couple of weeks ago and have a classmate sleeping on my coach while they search for a space. No rooms or houses to be found anywhere close to Castletroy or the city centre. I imagine most of these film/media types would want to live in the hustle and bustle of a city also .

I've also just been told they have block booked out some of the local hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Jesus, I didn't realise things were that bad! :eek: I always thought Limerick had enough student accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I don't think accom will be any problem for them. Students have problems finding a place because a significant proportion of landlords simply won't let to students - rightly or wrongly. Movie production professions should encounter no such difficulties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

grenache wrote: »
    I don't think accom will be any problem for them. Students have problems finding a place because a significant proportion of landlords simply won't let to students - rightly or wrongly. Movie production professions should encounter no such difficulties.

not the case, iv had to move twice in the last 2 years as the landlord was imposing significant rent increases. 10 years ago i could pick and choose where i want to live but now theres very limited availability and you have to be ready to accept as soon as you see it, if you get to see it. have a look at daft. most of the numbers have been removed from the ads. as soon as a property is rented, landlords remove the contact and leave the ad in case the tenant doesn't work out, so they don't have to pay to post a second ad.

movie production pros should be able to outbid anyone but the quality of accommodation is severely lacking. most properties i have seen in the last few months are damp and dirty. this is in the 1000-1200 pm range. whenever a nice place comes up suddenly its a bidding war. this is in the summer when there are traditionally loads of empty decent quality properties after graduates leave. I'm in a cheap room rental for the last while so the hunt continues for now.

I'm sorry if I'm going off topic, and I'm not trying to talk down the project or limerick but this is the reality of limerick at the moment, so i think most of these production people will have to stay in hotels.

Advertisement