Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Troy Studios

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

mdmix wrote: »
    not the case, iv had to move twice in the last 2 years as the landlord was imposing significant rent increases. 10 years ago i could pick and choose where i want to live but now theres very limited availability and you have to be ready to accept as soon as you see it, if you get to see it. have a look at daft. most of the numbers have been removed from the ads. as soon as a property is rented, landlords remove the contact and leave the ad in case the tenant doesn't work out, so they don't have to pay to post a second ad.

movie production pros should be able to outbid anyone but the quality of accommodation is severely lacking. most properties i have seen in the last few months are damp and dirty. this is in the 1000-1200 pm range. whenever a nice place comes up suddenly its a bidding war. this is in the summer when there are traditionally loads of empty decent quality properties after graduates leave. I'm in a cheap room rental for the last while so the hunt continues for now.

I'm sorry if I'm going off topic, and I'm not trying to talk down the project or limerick but this is the reality of limerick at the moment, so i think most of these production people will have to stay in hotels.

Moved to Limerick in April and mostly agree with this. There was a fairly limited selection around and most of the places we viewed were fairly ropey. One or two exceptions but the price then was strong enough.

There seem to be a few nice places for decent prices every so often but you wouldn't know what they end up being let for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

TV and movie productions in larger cities usually rent self-catering apartments en masse, if they're available. This is cheapest for the production company. Failing that, some cheap hotel rentals. Crew members do not rent individually. Don't be fooled into thinking they're all high-earners either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the Nightflyers show has been approved for a first season so it's not just a speculative pilot. Also Netflix financing involved. Good news, assuming they'll continue to film in Limerick - link

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

http://www.limerickleader.ie/gallery/home/283275/limerick-s-troy-studios-prepares-for-full-flight-as-nightflyers-takes-off.html

Night flyers commission for a full series, filming to begin Jan/Feb. Construction already underway at Troy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/nightflyers-george-rr-martin-shares-new-syfy-series-plans/
    10 episodes confirmed and talk of further series. I wonder if the cast will be well known

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Where would they advertise whenever their looking for extras ?

haven't read the book, but as most of it takes place on a small ship in space i doubt they will be looking for many extras. anyway these things are generally well advertised in local papers and online. vikings generally post to Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

If I was you I'd sign up with this crowd ASAP! ;)
    http://setextras.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

What about non acting jobs? Anyone know if they're looking for construction or maintenance people?

I have a few friends who are looking for work at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Got a text asking about availability for Monday (extra) - anyone else get an availability request?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Strettie11

Trailer is online for Nightflyers
    https://youtu.be/w8gXQXifx-M

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Anybody got any request to become an extra on the Nightflyers set.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

Mach Two wrote:
    Anybody got any request to become an extra on the Nightflyers set.

I got called few weeks back, couldn't make it, heard nothing since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I got called few weeks back, couldn't make it, heard nothing since

Would love to do it, would do it for free, but was kidding myself that I could work around it and deleted my profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

Would love to do it, would do it for free, but was kidding myself that I could work around it and deleted my profile.

Same boat, I'd love to be able to say I did it. Profile is still there but think they push you down the list/drop you if you don't go

bit of bad press for Troy/Limerick. can anyone advise how to get past the paywall?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/dearth-of-local-film-talent-a-nightmare-for-nightflyers-w7s5ktpjq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

mdmix wrote: »
    bit of bad press for Troy/Limerick. can anyone advise how to get past the paywall?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/dearth-of-local-film-talent-a-nightmare-for-nightflyers-w7s5ktpjq

Just sign up - you can read two articles a week for free
    An American film company making George RR Martin’s Nightflyers in Limerick has lobbied for additional tax breaks for movie productions outside of Dublin. It cited the high cost of transporting crew from the capital, and providing accommodation for workers over extended periods of time.

NBCUniversal (NBCU), one of the US’s biggest television and film producers, lobbied finance minister Paschal Donohoe in March for a five-point increase on the section 481 tax break, currently set at 32%, for large productions with a budget of more than €10m which are shooting more than 64km from Dublin.

The film company claimed that such an initiative would encourage it and other producers to locate more projects outside the capital.

Donohoe is currently carrying out a review of section 481 and seeking input from local and international players in the film business. Last week the Department of Finance said that the review was ongoing and should be completed in late July or early August.

In its submission NBCUniversal said Ireland had a skilled film production workforce but it was mostly based in Dublin, “resulting in high-end television and feature films concentrating in and around the city”.

It had decided to produce Nightflyers, based on a sci-fi horror novella by Game of Thrones writer George RR Martin, in Troy Studios in Limerick due to “sound-stage space constraints” in the capital, but the company later found that most experienced film workers were based 200km away from its Limerick base.

“As the first company to produce in Troy Studios since the facility opened more than 18 months ago, NBCU has learnt what every producer of high-end television and large-budget features considering Limerick will come to learn about shooting at Troy Studios: the scale of travel and accommodation costs is substantial,” it told Donohoe.

“This additional cost is exacerbated because these necessary travel and accommodation costs are treated as benefit in kind for tax purposes.”

The company, whose set was visited by taoiseach Leo Varadkar in April, claims that other territories have had success in introducing enhanced film tax breaks for regions, citing examples such as Savannah, Georgia; Northern Ontario, Canada; the Canary Islands, Spain; Buffalo, New York; and Belfast.

While tax relief on films made in Northern Ireland is the same as in the rest of the UK — currently 25% — NI Screen has supplemented this with up to €42m in grants for dozens of productions.

Similarly, while Spain offers a 20% tax break, this has been doubled to 40% in the Canary Islands, resulting in the arrival of big-budget productions such as Jason Bourne, Exodus: Gods and Kings, Allied, and the Star Wars spin-off Solo.

NBCUniversal points to Buffalo, New York as analogous to rural Ireland. The upstate region was given a special 10% film tax relief on top of the 30% rate available for productions in New York city and its environs. NBCUniversal says this has attracted movies such as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Purge: Island to upstate New York. By expanding filming outside the city, the value of New York state’s movie industry had grown from $2.2bn (€1.9bn) in 2007 to $6bn last year, with the numbers employed rising from 19,500 to 35,000, it said.

NBCUniversal claims that a 5% regional tax incentive for companies shooting more than half of their principal photography outside Dublin could improve rural economies, provide jobs and offer a tourism boost. The film industry, it says, has a “multiplier” economic benefit due to the number of spin-off jobs created. It points to how New Zealand’s tourism industry was transformed by the Lord of the Rings franchise, and also credits the “Game of Thrones effect” with the trebling of Iceland’s tourism numbers over the past seven years.

Due to the lack of film experience locally, the company said it was in talks with the University of Limerick, Limerick School of Art and Design and Screen Training Ireland to develop industry-related courses in order to add to the 50 production assistants already hired from the midwest to work on Nightflyers.

Netflix recently announced that it had bought the rights to show the series outside America, with the Syfy channel scheduled to show it first in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I don't think it's too negative. It makes sense that the government would give a tax break to get the fledgling film industry down here going. It isn't much of an option for the big studios to film in the capital either, due to other reasons, mainly costs. So, if the government is smart about it and wants to keep this industry in Ireland, it will get extend the tax break. After say 5 - 10 years, the industry would be set up here and the tax break could be scaled back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Agree with Zulutango and was probably expected too. Was talking to someone whose involved with Nightflyers but from the mid west region and he was telling me they saw this problem coming and were hoping to use outside people for season 1 until it gets up and running because you've people coming from all over Ireland and UK while training up local people to do the work for season 2. Whether that plan hasn't worked out as well or not I'm not sure.

Ya, not as bad as it initially lookked. I had assumed it was an interview where the producer was complaining to the media about how hard it was. it actually looks more like this was taken from some formal submission to the minister, in which case the producer is likely to exaggerate.

There are a number of studios planned in/near Dublin. With the amount of capital available it’s only a matter of time before a larger studio is built in that region. Timing is everything and Troy look to be in a good position for the next few years, but they need to develope local talent or the studio has no long term future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Big announcement from Troy Studios due at 10am this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

There sponsoring another entrance into the industrial estate!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

They're filming Metallica in Slane?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

https://mobile.twitter.com/alanowens_limk/status/1044155852423393280

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

100000 sq feet of an entrance to the industrial park ???

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Surely another entrance must be part of the planning requirements for this? There's a 4th Hamilton House being built soon also, the place is already packed with traffic in the evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.screendaily.com/news/irelands-troy-studios-set-to-double-capacity-to-attract-inward-investment-shoots/5132882.article

Some more details. Great news for Limerick in its progression as a serious film production location.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

MilfordBud wrote: »
    Surely another entrance must be part of the planning requirements for this? There's a 4th Hamilton House being built soon also, the place is already packed with traffic in the evenings.

It's a soundstage, not a factory. It's hardly going to create hundreds of extra cars at rush hour.

Advertisement