Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Music in a Video Game

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

I'm a man of Simple tastes...
    Dance Through the Danger level 1 (and main theme) from Shantae: Half Genie Hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Clock Tower SNES

Clock Tower PS1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I will always remember the first time I played through Halo 2 and was heading into the Mausoleum.(?)
    Place where the Arbiter had his armour anyway.
    This song would kick off and you would find yourself being in the middle of a three way fight.
    Made me feel like the bad arse that I most definitely wasn't. :D

EDIT: It was Gravemind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Relikk

eyerer wrote: »
    The SNES had some great sound tracks, I wish it had been CD audio quality.
    Castlevania IV, Street Fighter II, Contra III off the top of my head

Konami have always been a favourite of mine when it comes to soundtracks, particularly the Castlevania games.

Super Castlevania IV
    The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
    Contra III
    Castlevania Rondo of Blood
    Castlevania Symphony of the Night
    Gradius V (The genius of Hidetoshi Sakimoto)

Of course, there's no mentioning Sakimoto without including his masterpiece...
    Radiant Silvergun

Skyrim (So many beautiful and perfectly fitting compositions. Jeremy Soule's finest soundtrack for one of the greatest games ever made)

Loads more but, I'd be here all night typing them out and linking them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Absolutely fantastic soundtrack. My favorite track is, without a doubt, Tower of Dawn. Anyone who has played this game to the end will remembers the eye wateringly infuriating battle sequence on the elevator and will have heard this track over and over again with each retry, but I love listening to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Omikron1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Aoife Ní Fhearraigh's "The Best Is Yet To Come" from the Metal Gear Solid soundtrack.
    Love the fact that it's uncompromised Gaelic Folk; usually the adoption of world music for use within mainstream media can be fairly watered down to try and appeal to a wider audience and this doesn't do that - incredible seeing as the music's director (and the entire company who were applying it) was Japanese.
    Not to mention, it's just a very good song, and a brilliant emotional driver.

Michael Giacchino's "Operation Market Garden", as part of the Medal Of Honor: Frontline OST.
    Remember how Steven Spielberg's vision for MOH was to transform the new trend of the FPS into an appealing cinematic experience, giving it some maturity and turning video games into a recognised entertainment medium among the masses through the adaption of cinematic tropes? In my opinion, he best achieved that through asking Giacchino to compose the scores for the original series and encouraging a Hollywood-esque audio profile to be used within the games.
    Of all the best scores from the original MOH series, "Operation Market Garden" is by far my favourite.

Primus' "Jerry Was A Race Car Driver", appearing in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.
    It could've been anything from the Tony Hawk series, and I was close to picking one or two songs from THUG (such as QOTSA and In Flames), but Primus are representing my overall appreciation for music from the TH series because Primus Suck. :)

Faith No More's "Midlife Crisis", appearing in GTA: San Andreas [Radio-X].
    Much the same with Primus and THPS above, I am using this track to represent the entire GTA series, especially from Vice City onwards. There is just so much music to love in each of these games; VC, SA, and IV being the pinnacle of licensed music in video games in my opinion, with IV's soundtrack I feel being incredibly underrated.
    I chose FNM in particular as they would probably be my favourite band of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Jaysis that brings me back, class game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I liked a lot of Jeff van Dyck's work on the earlier Total War games. I still find myself humming "Soldier's Chant" every now and then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I love the music and general use of audio in Ico, on the PS2.
    I also love the jingles in Virtua Racing on the MD/32X/Sat and Arcade.
    The music in Raiden/II/DX is great.
    But Super Mario World is just jammed to the rafters with not just a short tune or two, but with a near sweet of music tracks, from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jaysis that brings me back, class game too.

Good, but not great....
    Now, this is great....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Absolutely top notch and was way ahead of its time. Both games had brilliant sound tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 YattaYenta

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Basically the entirety of Nier Automata. An absolutely phenomenal OST.

3 of my favourites:

Advertisement