Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Pension

• 23-02-2017 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there are any benefits in merging two private pensions? I had a pension with my former employer and since I've left and started work with another company they have s pension with another company.
    So now I've two separate pensions (only paying into one)

Is there any benefits in merging them??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just wondering if there are any benefits in merging two private pensions? I had a pension with my former employer and since I've left and started work with another company they have s pension with another company.
    So now I've two separate pensions (only paying into one)

Is there any benefits in merging them??

Is merging occupational pensions even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

lawred2 wrote: »

Don't have a clue to be honest I thought I heard of one person doing it before. So one is with Zurich I think, can't remember off the top of my head which is the other

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

lawred2 wrote: »

Yes it is.

The benefits might be less hassle and a small reduction in overall costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Yes it is.

The benefits might be less hassle and a small reduction in overall costs.

Thanks a million, will look into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Take a look at the fees related to your old pension plan. If they are higher than your current pension plan then you would save money merging them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

Cooperguy is right - if the fees are the same or roughly the same I personally would not merge them as

- you can then retire your different funds at different ages
    - portfolio diversification - pension scheme 1 might offer other pension funds than pension scheme 2

For above reasons I am not merging mines.

Advertisement