Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Router - Won't connect to Xbox One

Options
  • 23-02-2017 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

After having no issues with connectivity since Christmas, my Vodafone HG658c router for some reason doesn't want to connect with my Xbox any longer.

Xbox keeps dropping the signal which makes it pretty much unusable for the last 2 weeks and is frustrating the hell out of me.

I initially thought the issue might be with the Xbox itself but the fact that its detecting the router makes me think that some setting has changed on the router.
    I've also tried connecting Xbox to my parents Wifi (same provider/ router) and have had no issues. Unfortunately I don't have the option of hardwiring the Xbox to the network.

I've spent days now trying to figure this out with not joy. My Samsung Smart TV generally has a habit of dropping the Wifi too but nowhere near as bad as what I'm experiencing with the Xbox which makes me think the router is just not playing nice with these two devices for some reason.

I have tried resetting Xbox to factory settings and also unplugging the router but no difference. A couple of weeks back I thought I had the issue resolved by changing the bandwidth on the router from 20/40 to 20 but this only solved the issue for a week and its back now bad as ever.

If anyone has any suggestions on troubleshooting options or settings that may be causing this I would be very grateful. 

I had posted about this on an old thread in the Xbox forum but seeing as I'm thinking its a router issue I wanted to see what help I could get here.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Change the channel of your wifi within the router or else buy homeplugs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

First off, if you are able to use homeplugs you should probably go that way. In 90% of cases they'll perform better than wifi. All you need is for the Xbox and router to be on the same RCB(Fuse Box).

Going from 40/20 to 20 improving things suggest you've an interference issue. Wifi101: You and all your neighbors have to share basically 3 slots. Once there are more than three homes in range of each other, they overlap and compete. In housing estates and apartment blocks this is a bit of a problem nowadays.

Try installing a wifi scanning app on your phone and see what you pick up. If you want you can post a screenshot for us to review.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Change the channel of your wifi within the router or else buy homeplugs :D
    Thanks, I've tried changing the channel with no joy. Haven't looked into Homeplugs yet, are they expensive.

Can't figure out what's changed, I've had zero issues with connection to the network since Christmas and now it's just refusing to connect. No issues with any other devices on the network.

ED E wrote: »
    First off, if you are able to use homeplugs you should probably go that way. In 90% of cases they'll perform better than wifi. All you need is for the Xbox and router to be on the same RCB(Fuse Box).

Going from 40/20 to 20 improving things suggest you've an interference issue. Wifi101: You and all your neighbors have to share basically 3 slots. Once there are more than three homes in range of each other, they overlap and compete. In housing estates and apartment blocks this is a bit of a problem nowadays.

Try installing a wifi scanning app on your phone and see what you pick up. If you want you can post a screenshot for us to review.
    Thanks, I was looking at homeplugs on Argos there and they can be expensive for the AV2 ones, not sure if AV will suffice. Would something like the below do?
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5742734/Trail/searchtext%3EPOWER+LINK.htm

I was planning on using Wifi analyser this evening to see what pops up. Apart from my neighbors using the same channel is there anything else I need to look out for? I know there are several people in the area on Vodafone.

Would an inferference issue not cause issues with other devices apart from the Xbox and TV, laptops, phones seem unaffected.

ED E wrote: »

So I reset my router and ran Wifi Analyser too. Pic in link below, lot of activity, my network is the red one. Channel was on auto so I changed it to 13 as it seemed less congested but still no connection. No idea what bandwidth I should be setting it to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

410145.png

Try moving down below 12. 12 and 13 are non standard (Not used in the US, are in Europe) so some devices wont even look for them to appease the FCC.

Not all devices are made equal. For example Apple iPads have a great radio thats far better than some laptops twice their size(more antenna room). Whats worse is your XBOX is probably below or beside a TV with a rake of power adapter and cables all around it. Noise hell. Or in a cabinet.

I'd set it to CH1 to start with and see, your router could have been changing on auto mode up to 13 and thus "vanishing" to the Xbox.

Cheers,that was after I changed it from Auto to 13 as it looked less congested. Will work through the lower channels now shortly once I can get Iggle Piggle and co off the TV :)

I just had it up in my parents now and connected no problem, analyser show only 2 networks in their area.

Other than messing with the channels are there any other fixes to get around congestion like this.

Apologies for big pic BTW

You nailed it with my Xbox location alright, not sure what I can do about that though.

So I've been concentrating on tooling around with the channels and bandwidth. I have it set to auto and 40 MHZ and it seems to be holding the connection for the moment.

At least know I'm fairly confident that congestion in the area is the issue, Microsoft Support were asking me to send the Console back.

Not expecting it to last too long though but will see how it pans out. Next step is to contact Vodafone to see if they can do something and then maybe look into getting a set of Power Links.

Thanks for the help

Advertisement