Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safer cycling, we can make a difference /MPDL thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ED E wrote: »
    They did.

DcLdL0VXcAAYoVi.jpg:medium
    wheres the car in this photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Amazing how many comments a cycling piece attracts.

I’m also consistently amazed at this. Any cycling related piece across all media seems to raise almost hysterical reactions. Motor vehicle collisions barely get a comment.

Case in point. Just further down on the journals page, it reports that Three people were critically injured by a hit and run motorist who mounted the pavement in west Dublin the other morning. Five comments in this piece, one of which lays the blame at African immigrants and the other which asks where the anti cycling motorists are. Remaining 3 are people tagging mates.

It’s really an indication of our car dominated society that these incidents barely raise an eyebrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

There is very little change in behaviours or, if there is, the hardcore inconsiderate faction or petrol heads have not altered their behaviour in the slightest. Had an attempted one tonight on a blind bend, with as it happens traffic incl. cyclist coming the other way. The motorist got real angry when I pulled out to take the lane. He said he was a cyclist himself (passing on.a blind bend ....?)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,360 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Does anyone know the cause of the accident that killed a cyclist on the N11 recently?, the junction at Greenfield road is one I know well from cycling so hit a little close to home.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

silverharp wrote: »
    Does anyone know the cause of the accident that killed a cyclist on the N11 recently?, the junction at Greenfield road is one I know well from cycling so hit a little close to home.

Inquest won't sit for 12 months at a minimum so we can only speculate which can end up being a little tasteless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why are all the cyclist in the 1.5m pics dressed like idiots? I despair re the RSA, I'm surprised they didn't make Ross put a high vis on just to stand on the road

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's the old 'if we leave out a single item of PPE, people might think we are endorsing not wearing that PPE'.
    a bit like infallibility and the pope. the RCC can't admit they were wrong on many issues because if they did, the whole edifice of papal infallibility would come crashing down. they've painted themselves into a corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

it's the old 'if we leave out a single item of PPE, people might think we are endorsing not wearing that PPE'.
    a bit like infallibility and the pope. the RCC can't admit they were wrong on many issues because if they did, the whole edifice of papal infallibility would come crashing down. they've painted themselves into a corner.

Great analogy if a little extreme!
    That gave me a good laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Why are all the cyclist in the 1.5m pics dressed like idiots? I despair re the RSA, I'm surprised they didn't make Ross put a high vis on just to stand on the road
    It's normalising it for motorists, and more worringly our judicial system (and a lot of cyclists too). Drives me nuts that this is the hidden message the RSA send out continually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Surely the last thing we need is another law that is impractical and virtually impossible to enforce?
    It's a good guideline, and drivers should try to implement where possible, but making it law just seems silly to me.
    Why can't we just try and bring in sensible laws that people see the sense in and therefore follow.
    And for God's same can somebody with authority and a basic understanding of cycling review the existing cycle tracks for usability and safety. Either make them safe and useful or get rid of them and stop pretending you care while cashing those EU road cheques.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Drives me nuts that this is the hidden message the RSA send out continually.

Not so hidden. They're paying for Google Ads that follow me around when I use a browser with no ad-blocking, and the ads are "always wear a helmet when cycling" and "always wear luminous clothing when cycling".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd almost be tempted to buy pisstake ads....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Surely the last thing we need is another law that is impractical and virtually impossible to enforce?
    It's a good guideline, and drivers should try to implement where possible, but making it law just seems silly to me.

it's obviously not going to be enforced 100% of the time, but neither are speed limits and no-one thinks we should scrap those. It puts *legal* responsibility on the motorist. If you do clip a cyclist in your car you can't argue "oh he swerved, or wobbled" - you shouldn't have been so close in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As loyatemu, it will be enforceable where it causes accidents.

Some motorists might also get a shock as to how many cyclists (and regrettably feel the need for) have bike cameras!

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's obviously not going to be enforced 100% of the time, but neither are speed limits and no-one thinks we should scrap those. It puts *legal* responsibility on the motorist. If you do clip a cyclist in your car you can't argue "oh he swerved, or wobbled" - you shouldn't have been so close in the first place.

I do tend to have simplified views on these things, but to me that is not how laws should work at all. If it only matters in cases where accidents occur is pretty irrelevant, in the vast majority of cases the motorist will already have done something either forbidden or frowned upon according to rules of the road.

To me, this will only increase the number of cyclists with cameras going around shouting that the are in the right.
    I give it a week after implementation before the first videos appear on YouTube of enraged cyclists being passed (perfectly safely) at less than the min distance on roads that make it impossible to co-exist legally.

I'm a cyclist but the way, in case I sound like a bike - bashing driver.

Oh, and speed limits I believe should be modified in line with reality, so that they can be obeyed at all times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Oh, and speed limits I believe should be modified in line with reality, so that they can be obeyed at all times.
    what's stopping them being obeyed at all times currently?

Not looking to deal into a speed limits thread; there are a number of speed limits around the country which are just impractical, and of have been based on genuine safety advice I think this is something that should be readily available. If for example a certain number of speed tickets are issued at a certain location over a period of time, there is clearly an issue and that area and limits should be reviewed.
    Is it is a genuine risk, to something to prevent the speedding (slalom, bumps, etc), or (shock, horror) increase the limit to stop criminalising ever driver using the road and let the gards get on with keeping ppl safe elsewhere.

But anyway, it's already illegal to hit a cyclist a far so an aware, so bases are covered if the only reason is to be able to charge ppl.
    W need laws that actually stop criminal behaviour, not one's that let you punish ppl your don't like when it suits you.

Make separate and applicable rules for cyclists and/or put in place infrastructure to support these rules and rights.

Like I said, I know my views are seen as over - simple or outright ignorant by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

silverharp wrote: »

mod note - please, no discussion on the cause of the accident. if you've concrete information on the cause, tell the gardai, not boards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not looking to deal into a speed limits thread; there are a number of speed limits around the country which are just impractical, and of have been based on genuine safety advice I think this is something that should be readily available. If for example a certain number of speed tickets are issued at a certain location over a period of time, there is clearly an issue and that area and limits should be reviewed.
    Is it is a genuine risk, to something to prevent the speedding (slalom, bumps, etc), or (shock, horror) increase the limit to stop criminalising ever driver using the road and let the gards get on with keeping ppl safe elsewhere.
    I would disagree immensely, just because many people feel they are competent enough to break the speed limit in a certain location, it does not mean the speed limit should be increased. In fact, all it shows is that this subset of people can't obey very basic instructions and to be honest, if they can't do that, then maybe they shouldn't be in charge of a machine capable of causing huge tragedy.

If for example a certain number of speed tickets are issued at a certain location over a period of time, there is clearly an issue and that area and limits should be reviewed.
    or else you could argue that the issue in that area is that there are too many people speeding.
    limits should not be reviewed based on how many people break the law. they should be reviewed based on common sense.

maybe that *would* be one way to stop speeding in ireland. raise *all* limits to 120km/h, and watch as the number of illegally speeding motorists simply evaporates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Why were you speeding?

Because the speed limit was wrong, your honour.

CASE DISMISSED!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

or else you could argue that the issue in that area is that there are too many people speeding.
    limits should not be reviewed based on how many people break the law. they should be reviewed based on common sense.

maybe that *would* be one way to stop speeding in ireland. raise *all* limits to 120km/h, and watch as the number of illegally speeding motorists simply evaporates.

Thank you, I needed a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I'm in France for the last week or so, every village/toen/city around me has a 30km zone through the centre and most surrounding streets, 50km towards the fringes, 70 or 90km on main road, 110 on motorway. I've yet to see any motorist whether local or foreign breaking any of those limits. Why is that???

The majority of cycle paths are shared use, and I've yet to see any conflict, people yield, slow down, make space, smile and say hello to other people. I've seen elderly couples and kids using the footpath to cycle and nobody bat's an eyelid. Plenty of contra flow roads for cyclists, and motorists seem to negotiate this without conflict.

Either I'm in some idyllic dream bubble or the attitude prevalent in Ireland is deeply wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^^
    The difference is the basic attitude towards rules and regulations.
    If a new rule or law is implemented in Germany, the first thing people think is "how will this affect me?". In Ireland it's "how will I get around it".
    On continental Europe rules are viewed as a guide that helps people get along. So that everyone knows what they can and cannot do. In general something that makes life more pleasant for everyone.
    In Ireland any rule is viewed as a hindrance, an inconvenience and an obstacle that has to be undermined, subverted, ignored or disregarded.
    Just look at parking. People deliberately park in Parent and Child spaces because they don't agree with them. People disregard parking regulations on private property and when clamped just cut the thing off.
    Parking on double yellows is OK if you're just nipping in for a minute for fags and a lotto ticket and yellow boxes must be blocked, because if you're not moving, that other cnut certainly shouldn't be.
    I guess it's a hangover from British occupation, when it was a form of protest to deliberately misunderstand, "forget" or deliberately follow rules in an obstinate fashion.
    Difference is, the Brits are gone so the people are just nasty to each other out of force of habit.

it's the 'well, where else am i supposed to park' attitude. as if the answer to the riddle is the responsibility of the person who has cause to complain about the ****ty parking. 'this wasn't a problem until *you* complained'.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Through my employment I engage somewhat with policy makers across EU jurisdictions. The comments above re laws in say Germany echo my own observations.
    My Germans, Dutch and Belgians i meet simply dont see how our common law system makes sense. In those jurisdictions law (in my area) is more prescriptive and better understood.
    Maybe common law systems have grown around law being challenged and amended through case law - what if this informa the 'get around the law mentality' that seems prevalent in Ireland.
    Slighty OT so apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

^^....I guess it's a hangover from British occupation, when it was a form of protest to deliberately misunderstand, "forget" or deliberately follow rules in an obstinate fashion.

We had the Vikings and the Normans before that. I think it goes deeper.

Breaking rules is like breathing in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

beauf wrote: »
    We had the Vikings and the Normans before that. I think it goes deeper.

It started with those goddamned Milesians. The only crowd ever to keep the rules were Tuatha De Danaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Personal responsibly also lacking In Ireland. Everything is everyone else’s fault. People here also focus on the person rather than the wider society. It’s a me me me centric attitude.

The hysteria around the MPDL is interesting to read. Road tax (sic), helmets hi vis and insurance seem to the panacea for road safety in a lot of commenters eyes. Slowing down, driving responsibly, respecting others - not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,031 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

To me, this will only increase the number of cyclists with cameras going around shouting that the are in the right.
    I give it a week after implementation before the first videos appear on YouTube of enraged cyclists being passed (perfectly safely) at less than the min distance on roads that make it impossible to co-exist legally.
    There is no road in Ireland that makes it impossible for cyclists and motorists to co-exist legally. There are many roads and parts of roads in Ireland that make it impossible for a motorist to overtake a cyclist safely, but that's a different matter. Usually it involves waiting behind a cyclist for a short period - is that too difficult for you?

Advertisement