Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safer cycling, we can make a difference /MPDL thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

that link led me to this letter, which is a corker. nothing to do with cycling, though.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/time-to-switch-to-the-left-1.3599595

It would lead to an initial cost but then huge economies of scale if the whole world drove on the same side of the road, rather than half on the left and half on the right as now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a car dealer coming up with that idea. boom time for him.
    especially when it comes to replacing all the cars destroyed in the pileups at the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

that's a car dealer coming up with that idea. boom time for him.
    especially when it comes to replacing all the cars destroyed in the pileups at the border.

Yea, he acknowledges where he's coming from. Wonder will imports from UK be more costly or difficult though. Huge numbers being brought in at the minute because of favourable exchange rate, will be interesting to see what happens. not sure I'll be personally affected, my next car when current one dies might be an e-bike!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

meeting on tomorrow in phibsboro about PT & cycling, hosted by the labour party.
    i suspect it will be dominated by talk on bus connects.

for those not on facebook, it's in st. peter's parish hall, from 8pm to 10pm.
    Join us with your views. We will have expert speakers on cycling, disability access on public transport and an overview of the
    BusConnects project.
    Speakers include:
    Joe Costello, Spokesperson on Urban Regeneration
    Marie Sherlock, Local Area Representative
    Declan Meenagh, Local Area Representative
    David O'Connor, Dublin Institute of Technology
    John Murphy, SIPTU Official, Dublin Bus
    Dublin Cycling Campaign Speaker (tbc)
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1155655971253159/

i bike dublin getting up to some fun in phobsborough yesterday:

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/dublin-cycling-activists-clamping/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is it illegal to park a car on a cycle lane? i see enough examples of it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

silverharp wrote: »
    is it illegal to park a car on a cycle lane? i see enough examples of it
    It is illegal to park on a mandatory cycle lane (continuous white line), or on any pavement.

It is illegal to park on a mandatory cycle lane (continuous white line), or on any pavement.

Unless - like the mandatory cycle lane (continuous white line) on Harold's Cross Road where they're building the unfortunately-named St Pancras development - that lane coexists with parking spots painted over it…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Unless - like the mandatory cycle lane (continuous white line) on Harold's Cross Road where they're building the unfortunately-named St Pancras development - that lane coexists with parking spots painted over it…

Unless it has a time stamp to allocate hours, then the car park spaces are just lines of paint/grafetti, worth contacting the council to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The signs say on Monday - Saturday from 07:00 - 10:00 it's a clearway, and from 10:00 - 19:00 it's pay & display. Perhaps it's only a mandatory cycle track for the 18 hours per week when it's a clearway? Who gets evenings and weekends?

I wonder when stats are put forward about how many kilometres of cycle track there are, do they note that some stretches are only part of the network for 10.7% of the time?

• Advertisement

The signs say on Monday - Saturday from 07:00 - 10:00 it's a clearway, and from 10:00 - 19:00 it's pay & display. Perhaps it's only a mandatory cycle track for the 18 hours per week when it's a clearway? Who gets evenings and weekends?

I wonder when stats are put forward about how many kilometres of cycle track there are, do they note that some stretches are only part of the network for 10.7% of the time?

Alas I fear you are right and it is only a mandatory cycle track for 18hours a week.

a tiny bit oppportunistic, considering roisin shortall has a minor history of slight antagonism towards cycling:

https://twitter.com/RoisinShortall/status/1042736888329785346

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

a tiny bit oppportunistic
    From the Social Democrats? I don't believe it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

a tiny bit oppportunistic, considering roisin shortall has a minor history of slight antagonism towards cycling:

https://twitter.com/RoisinShortall/status/1042736888329785346

Two possible responses:

1. Campaigners need to take support where they find it. Anyone who challenges SR re % of Transport budget allocated to cycling as she did in Dáil yest is their friend

2. Politicians have been known to have Road to Damascus moments!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's a bit encouraging, in that politicians are starting to see cyclists as a sufficiently large voting bloc to target. Even if it's cynical, good may well come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It's a bit encouraging, in that politicians are starting to see cyclists as a sufficiently large voting bloc to target. Even if it's cynical, good may well come of it.

I dont think there is any doubt that cyclists are now a significant voting block, Why would the party of Charles Haughey and Bertie Ahearne go to the effort? You really think they care about cyclists or about votes?

https://www.fiannafail.ie/ff-proposes-new-measures-to-overhaul-cycling-infrastructure-and-improve-safety-troy/

Time to take the incentive and really push the demand for a safe cycling network in Dublin.

The embarrassingly dangerous plan for the Dodder Greenway is an example of the kind of infrastructure being offered - the councils plan to mix cyclists (average speed 15km/h but many much faster) and walkers (average speed 5km/h; many much slower, many with dogs) on a too-narrow walkway beside the river.

When this starts to be used by cycletourists - cycling fast and loaded down with panniers increasing their weight - it is inevitable that there will be dangerous crashes.

This "have your say" page has a link for submissions; the link isn't working. Has the date expired? https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices/have-your-say-dodder-greenway

MPDL has been officially abandoned:

New law on drivers overtaking cyclists abandoned
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-law-on-drivers-overtaking-cyclists-abandoned-1.3745451

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPDL has been officially abandoned:

New law on drivers overtaking cyclists abandoned
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-law-on-drivers-overtaking-cyclists-abandoned-1.3745451

Ross on news talk this morning saying its not abandoned but in its current form not implementable. He is going to take a different route with the legislation.

Disappointed, but not surprised. There was no support for the RSA, as it didn't fit their victim blaming/ motorist focused mentality, and seeming no support from the gardai either. Both could've looked at how it is implemented in other countries and other police forces (in the UK for example), but as they weren't interested they never pursued it.

Again, I'll bring up that the gardai say camera footage is unreliable, yet when theres what they perceive as a "real" crime, they put out appeals for dashcam and cctv footage. Including in the last couple of days.

• Advertisement

as a specifically 'minimum passing distance' law, it's abandoned, in favour of a less specific dangerous overtaking law from what i can see.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So we think that Ross and the Guards should have ignored advice from the Attorney General and implemented it anyway? And when cases started getting thrown out of court, they'd no doubt be pilloried for ignoring that advice.*

*Assuming any cases did make it to court. The current dangerous overtaking law (which is much easier to enforce) is rarely enforced.

So we think that Ross and the Guards should have ignored advice from the Attorney General and implemented it anyway? And when cases started getting thrown out of court, they'd no doubt be pilloried for ignoring that advice.
    I would say the AG was pushing an open door. Our legal system is based upon the UK one, but they seem to be able to action based upon camera evidence. We're told cameras are "unreliable" without evidence, or what needs to change to make them reliable instead?

I don't see what's debateble about most of the close pass footage we see on the likes of sticky bottle. They're generally not marginal between 1.3m and 1.5m.

as a specifically 'minimum passing distance' law, it's abandoned, in favour of a less specific dangerous overtaking law from what i can see.
    Which would already be covered under dangerous driving.
    So we think that Ross and the Guards should have ignored advice from the Attorney General and implemented it anyway? And when cases started getting thrown out of court, they'd no doubt be pilloried for ignoring that advice.*

*Assuming any cases did make it to court. The current dangerous overtaking law (which is much easier to enforce) is rarely enforced.
    This one, IMO, would be too raise awareness of dangerous driving habits that many do not even realise. Many a conversation I have had with others and their opinion has been that if they didn't hit me, they were not close enough, and not in an aggressive fashion, just complete obliviousness to the danger and intimidation.
    I wouldn't have wanted gardai out with Hi tech devices trying to catch people out. What I wanted was that in the case of a collision, that the law cleared up alot of "I said, you said" rubbish in court. If you collided, then you were to close. Dangerous driving and dangerous overtaking still leave alot of wiggle room for the legal eagles. A minimum distance sets a standard and makes it harder to defend against. It could be referenced in cases, whereas the opinion that we should give that distance means little in a court of law.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't see what's debateble about most of the close pass footage we see on the likes of sticky bottle. They're generally not marginal between 1.3m and 1.5m.

Which would be easily covered by existing legislation.

Our constitution is very different from UK's one (if you can call it that).

Which would be easily covered by existing legislation.
    That's been effective so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,064 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The close passing videos I've seen offer no way to accurately measure the passing distance.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    That's been effective so far...

Exactly. What's the point in introducing more new legislation, with a higher burden of proof, when the existing legislation isn't enforced? It's just tokenism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Exactly. What's the point in introducing more new legislation, with a higher burden of proof, when the existing legislation isn't enforced? It's just tokenism.
    It's an objective well defined offence for one, instead of the current subjective dangerous driving.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    This one, IMO, would be too raise awareness of dangerous driving habits that many do not even realise. Many a conversation I have had with others and their opinion has been that if they didn't hit me, they were not close enough, and not in an aggressive fashion, just complete obliviousness to the danger and intimidation. I wouldn't have wanted gardai out with Hi tech devices trying to catch people out.

1.5m is great is guidance on what constitutes a safe pass, but makes for poor law because of the difficulty in enforcement. So by all means promote that message, but putting it on the statute books is a mistake.

Advertisement