Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safer cycling, we can make a difference /MPDL thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

or even just walk. during the bus strikes last year, someone posted on the commuting forum asking for an alternative way to get from ballymun to the city centre. the suggestion to walk was met with a reaction along the lines of 'are you ****ing kidding me?' (not phrased quite like that).

we live beside DCU and my wife has often walked into work in the city centre. it's actually not considerably longer than a bus commute at rush hour.

In the really bad snow there a few years ago, I worked with a fella who insisted on driving the 4km from home to work - the roads were in a mess and it frequently took him 2 hours plus. He left work then at 3pm to "Beat the traffic".

I walked it door to door in 40 mins. He thought I was crazy, spending 4 hours plus a day travelling 8km sounded crazier to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

are you 7 foot tall?

Ooops.....I misremembered my mother's axiom, she was a dress-maker and used to say that from the breastbone to the tips of the fingers was approximately a yard, so no I'm not 7' tall!

However, I logged on to make a more serious point. Seemingly Ciaran Cannon has had a horrendously negative public reaction to his MPDL Bill and is in need of support from cyclists by lobbying constituency TD's and welcoming it on mainstream and social media. I did see all the negative comments on the Indo and the Journal but I assumed that the posters were the usual keyboard warriors and thought that any sane motorist would welcome it. Seemingly not, so could all of you here who are supportive rally your friends and fellow cyclists and let Ciaran know he has support but more importantly get the word out to your TD' and.if you belong to a club or a campaign maybe get a press release out to your local media and use FB and twitter in support

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Turkeys would not vote for Christmas, so it's no wonder drivers are anti any law that would make them think twice about overtaking of a cyclist and whether it can be done legally and safely.

Keyboard warriors are just that...!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

However, I logged on to make a more serious point. Seemingly Ciaran Cannon has had a horrendously negative public reaction to his MPDL Bill and is in need of support from cyclists by lobbying constituency TD's and welcoming it on mainstream and social media. I did see all the negative comments on the Indo and the Journal but I assumed that the posters were the usual keyboard warriors and thought that any sane motorist would welcome it. Seemingly not, so could all of you here who are supportive rally your friends and fellow cyclists and let Ciaran know he has support but more importantly get the word out to your TD' and.if you belong to a club or a campaign maybe get a press release out to your local media and use FB and twitter in support

This is the main reason that I raised this topic in the first place. I expect a lot of resistance to this proposal, and therefore effort will be needed by those who support it help it along. So if you support this proposal - do what you need to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What really baffles and worries me about this whole 'debate' - is that drivers are unwilling to make the road safer for other users, completely unwilling, unless those that the law aims to protect are willing to give some concession. It's utterly strange.

Yes, I can understand objections to the minimum passing law on grounds of enforcement and practicality, though I might not agree with them. But the "fairness" argument, the notion that, effectively, people who drive need a "concession" from people who cycle before they'll make a "concession" ...

#inconvenienceequalisation as the Road Sofa Authority has it.

• Advertisement

we live beside DCU and my wife has often walked into work in the city centre. it's actually not considerably longer than a bus commute at rush hour.

O'Brien Press had a decent enough book about the 1913 Lock-Out, and it mentioned how people from Inchicore couldn't get to the city centre because of the tram strike. Obviously people with mobility issues would be severely affected, but that's not a REALLY long walk. Not sure whether the author was accurately reflecting the feeling from 1913, or whether they were projecting modern sensibilities backwards.

Bit about Sean O'Rourke's radio spot:

http://irishcycle.com/2017/02/23/forget-cyclists-think-humans-passing-distance-law-idea-gets-irrational-reaction/

(This chimes with my very limited exposure to his opinions on walking and cycling, hi-vizism included.)

(EDIT: The comments went Godwin in two posts.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The proposal is nice, in theory. However, in practical terms, it will be very difficult to enforce. Here are some points:

• There needs to be a radical change in culture between all groups of road users before we can even think of bringing in this law. The most important traits which come to mind are respect and honesty:
      • Respect: I've seen far too many cases where people (myself included) single out one or more road user groups when all groups have their fair share of bad eggs.
      • Honesty: Be it motorist, cyclists, pedestrian or skater, there are plenty in each of these groups who think the rules don't apply to them either because of a sense of entitlement or otherwise.

• Much of the infrastructure nationwide is deplorable and is completely riddled with flaws resulting in members of each road user group fighting for space. From potholes to a lack of footpaths and the classic lick of paint and calling it a cycle lane to poor permeability, each are very frustrating to road users who encounter them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was talking to a garda (who is also a qualified barrister) earlier. he scoffed at the idea of the law; he reckons it's unenforceable and is inaction dressed up as action.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

was talking to a garda (who is also a qualified barrister) earlier. he scoffed at the idea of the law; he reckons it's unenforceable and is inaction dressed up as action.
    100% right but, and its terrible we are legislating for after the fact, but it gives judges and others a definitive line rather than an opinion. It should not be needed but that is how idiotic our judicial system is.

• Advertisement

On my short 40km cycle today, I witnessed the usual silly overtakes ( on bends/ /blind sections / with on coming traffic) and general close passes. Nothing will change until the law comes in but then enforcement is a key issue. No contact, no harm will still apply for many.

If all cyclists had cameras it would cetainly help. I would not see An Garda refusing camera evidence. Where there is no contact, it's the only way to determine behaviour.

Now to petition for fly12/6 or similar to be eligible purchases under the C2W scheme. If a hi-vis jacket is safety equipment then so should a camera...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I would not see An Garda refusing camera evidence.
    this is one of the issues i discussed with the garda above earlier; generally, by design, such cameras tend to be wide angle and it's often very difficult to judge exact distances in them; it's only in unusually clear cut cases that the evidence would be usable.
    couple that with the fact that the garda traffic corps is operating at just over half its peak staffing levels, makes such cases difficult to justify following up.

this is a garda who is quite sympathetic to cyclists; we also briefly discussed the cycle lane issue, with the 'explanatory note' problem; his attitude is that the explanatory note has no bearing in law, but simultaneously makes it impossible to apply.

Our policing resources in general is a serious cause of concern. With the economy on the bounce, substantial resources and money should be thrown at policing. While the HSE is the basket case of black hole budgeting and spending, policing would offer a significant return above the spend.

Moving on, I posted this link earlier but it may have been missed in the thread as it was moving onto new pages quickly.

https://cycliq.com/blogs/74-74-west-midlands-police-use-cycliq-cameras-in-much-praised-operation-close-pass

It shows that where there is a will by police to embrace camera footage, it can prove dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

this is one of the issues i discussed with the garda above earlier; generally, by design, such cameras tend to be wide angle and it's often very difficult to judge exact distances in them; it's only in unusually clear cut cases that the evidence would be usable.
    couple that with the fact that the garda traffic corps is operating at just over half its peak staffing levels, makes such cases difficult to justify following up.
    If the cyclist can reach out and tap the wing mirror or window during the overtake, ideally on camera, then the car is clearly <1.5m away.

And it won't be that long before there is an easy version of the nearmissometer or similar devices available at low cost.

If the cyclist can reach out and tap the wing mirror or window during the overtake, ideally on camera, then the car is clearly <1.5m away.
    if i'm being passed by a bus eireann bus with about two foot to spare (which has happened), the very, very, very last thing that is on my mind is 'oh, i could reach up and tap his wing mirror'. one reason being is that i don't have the reflexes of batman. and another reason being that a camera will not catch this manouevre; main't because it'll be happening 90 degrees to the direction of travel, and cameras aren't *that* wide, unless helmet mounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Plus the very real risk of causing yourself to fall over.

When I did use a camera, the grates on the road provided more than ample reference for the camera to get an accurate distance. One BE gave me less than 40cm. My handlebars are 38cm and my elbow touched the bus. Thankfully I was able to skim the edge of the pavement and did not come off. BE denied the incident and there own footage was not recoverable. Another company, done similar, gave me about 70cm but I was OK. Driver apologised, and said he thought it was enough. His trainer on the bus informed me he was a cyclist and it was plenty of space. I preferred the driver to his trainer who should be banned from driving, let alone training.

Higher fines thrown straight into a department that focused solely on analysing dashcams and helmet cams, as well as investment in red light cameras with ANPR.

Nailed above by CramCycle.

It's amazing how dashcam footage disappears when there is a complaint made. Claims of technical issues etc. It's just deleted as a defence. As is said, "no contact, no harm"

The absence of red light cameras in this country baffles me. Hardly new tech!! These are the only things that will stop red light running - you can't have a Garda at every junction 24/7 but with these you can and there is no overtime payable!! They could also get the untaxed, uninsured and non nxt' vehicles too.

Any investment in safety infrastructure would save lives but instead the money is all spent on awareness campaigns by the almost not fit for purpose RSA. Somebody described it as the Road Sofa Association here. Funny and quite apt!. It costs a lot and takes a long time to change human behaviour. Forcing a behaviour change through enforcement measures would deliver a quicker and better outcome.

Nailed above by CramCycle.

It's amazing how dashcam footage disappears when there is a complaint made. Claims of technical issues etc. It's just deleted as a defence. As is said, "no contact, no harm"
    I wonder if you'd be better off submitting an FOI claim for the camera footage before submitting the complaint?

FOI requests only apply to bodies covered by the legislation - it does not apply to private motorists, coach or haulage companies. Where it does apply (and I am not sure if video footage is covered by the legislation) digital files may be deleted before the request is made or information supplied following a request. How can you prove a negative?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I should have said Data Protection, not FOI. You are entitled to a copy of any video footage that you feature in, and this applies to public and private bodies.

Good point. My hunch would be its deleted on receipt of request if it's not going to help them...just a hunch but people change stories and make things up so why would they want to keep a record of what actually happened? In any event, there is no law that say they must keep it. At least with own footage, you have a reasonably good chance of preserving a record.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Even if there are enforcement issues, we should still have the law, if the law reflects the needed behaviour, which it does in my view. It will change the behaviour of many even if enforced poorly.

As mentioned previously, it will also shift the burden of proof when there is an incident.

Should we get rid of the law on red light jumping because it is not being enforced properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

MediaMan wrote: »
    Should we get rid of the law on red light jumping because it is not being enforced properly?

add to that casual speeding and driving in the bus lane which aren't really enforced due to the lack of Gards to physically catch people...

well, considering the bus (and cycle) lane outside my local garda station has cars parked permanently in it, i doubt it's lack of gardai available which is the issue there.

Like magicbaatsrder, I have seen some woeful "enforcement/policing" by AGS right under their noses!! Would be like taking candy from a baby but they drive on....(routine patrol by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Guinness love to park in a yellow box in sight of Rathmines Station and also the one on the corner onto Pearse. All they'd have to do is stand at the window and post an FCPN. Nada.

So again, none of it really matters until AGS are reformed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Bit about Sean O'Rourke's radio spot:

http://irishcycle.com/2017/02/23/forget-cyclists-think-humans-passing-distance-law-idea-gets-irrational-reaction/

(This chimes with my very limited exposure to his opinions on walking and cycling, hi-vizism included.)

(EDIT: The comments went Godwin in two posts.)

I heard that at the time and was pretty surprised with the dumb downed approach O'Rourke took.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Whether camera footage is enough to get a conviction, it might be enough to justify a follow up with the driver. Threat of action may be enough to force a behaviour change (which is the intention of the law) whether through ignorance or punishment passes.

Really can't understand why there isn't much greater use of anpr and camera enforcement in general. Probably get the usual bs about fish in a barrel, which just shows how ingrained some illegal road behaviour is - it's not even seen as something wrong, and the problem is that it'd be actually enforced.

• Advertisement

Like magicbaatsrder, I have seen some woeful "enforcement/policing" by AGS right under their noses!! Would be like taking candy from a baby but they drive on....(routine patrol by the way)
    If there is one thing that needs reform here, it is the paperwork faced by AGS. Almost every minor offence seems to require an inordinate amount of paperwork. I can see how perceived minor issues are ignored in order to leave time to function. Corruption aside in some, the AGS are an incredible police force who are being broken by legal BS and paperwork.
    Like every workforce there are a number who are a disgrace but by and large the main issues are caused by underfunding, understaffing and crippling restraints from government.

Advertisement