Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to UK with Car

Options
  • 23-02-2017 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am shortly moving to the UK with my car and was wondering what I need to do in Ireland before I leave. Can I get refunds on NCT, Insurance, VRT/Road Tax etc?

Does anyone know the process?

Thanks in anticipation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

toadeo wrote: »
    I am shortly moving to the UK with my car and was wondering what I need to do in Ireland before I leave. Can I get refunds on NCT, Insurance, VRT/Road Tax etc?

Does anyone know the process?

Thanks in anticipation

Very little, just go, register it in the UK when you get a chance (there is no time limit), basically before the TAX/NCT Expires.

You cannot get a refund on Motor Tax unless you export your car and stay in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

If you are planning on importing your vehicle into the UK and putting it onto UK plates, check out the DVLA website at https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/registering-an-imported-vehicle You may need to order the importing a used vehicle pack if you do want your vehicle on UK plates. Read the paperwork carefully and bring as much documentation about the existing vehicel as you can.
    I brought my car on Irish plates back into the UK and got hit with a £500 fine because I didn't register it in time. (had to be done within 3 months of coming to the UK). This was 4 years ago, so things may have changed, but they really don't like you running around on foreign plates.
    (I did manage to get the fine wiped on appeal which really surprised me as the government don't like giving up easy money).

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

You can get a vrt refund on your car if you get it inspected at an ncts centre before you leave. Check out the nct website for details

Advertisement