Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Website Design for Business using wix?

• 23-02-2017 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hey, i'm looking to upgrade a company website for a medium sezed company. Have strong IT skills but no programming skills so would like to use something like wix. The website is mainly for product info and will not be doing sales. What i'm asking is do you think it's feasible for this and are there any other non programming options?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Avoid wix it is poor and doesn't provide email hosting among some limitations. Much better to get your own web and email hosting and setup and deploy the website using WordPress.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

Don't need email hosting as already have an exchange server doing that. Would just like to upgrade our company website, and with no programming ability would like a drag and drop platform. Are there any others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'd still avoid wix. SquareSpace is a good enough drag and drop, but I'd still recommend WordPress even if it isn't quite drag and drop, as it is easy enough, well supported and has shedloads of add-ons and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

Might try and take a look at squarespace, wordpress i looked at but seems like a huge amount in it and don't have the time to get to learn it. Has anyone on here used squarespace successfully? What's the support like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

I would agree with tricky, the "free" and nearly free options tend to look just that, done on the cheap.
    Would you go out to the front of your work/office in your lunch break, and paint a new sign with a tin of Dulux or get a professional sign writer?
    For hobby websites, community associations etc. Wix, site builder, etc. can be useful, but for a medium sized business? I would be tempted to say if you can't set aside the money to get the site designed professionally then do with out one.
    If you have the domain name then a holding page with the company contact details would at least give a neutral impression to a potential customer rather than the bad impression of an amateurish looking site.
    Not meaning to be insulting if you have the design skills, but to make a website work (i.e. get found and rank well in Google) you would also need to know about SEO and the research, keywords etc. to go with it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Websites4u

agree with above points.

if the product is free, you are the product, as is the case with wix. a lot of people use it as it is free, then realise it doesnt do what they want. So they dont waste money, but they do waste time. Wordpress is quite user friendly. i would suggest that if you cant install and make some wordpress changes that you should get someone who can do this. i dont mean any disrespect. if you are willing to learn go for it, it is either going to take your time, or money.

Lastly, if you are showing off products, but no sales, i would recommend an online shop, if it is a blog type site - wordpress. Your issue though, if you lack programming exp. you wont get one of the shops working either!

good luck with it!

Advertisement