Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours pot smoke stinking my home

Options
  • 23-02-2017 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi anyone got a non confrontational / judgemental way of dealing with this issue?
    They seem to smoke a fair bit of strong smelling weed, comes right up to me through the fan ducts I guess. I have a vomit reaction to the ****ty smell and someone in my home on meds that could react with it ( they were warned to stay away from weed in case they ever took it up ). I don't particularly want to go knocking on anyones door as certain kinds of people take anything as a fight and frankly if you're high you're on drugs you're unpredictable , even drunk people freak me out, I'm not some kinda puritan I think people should be able to smoke that stuff or any other thing they want to smoke but it's sickening and dangerous for a family member. I'm not looking for any trolls to point out perceived faults with my reactions this is a genuine concern , thank you
    I'm aware of weeds' many new medical uses and so on I'm not trying to fire a debate on the stuff, it truly smells like you've stepped on dog poop in the affected rooms! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm all for legalisation and I hate the smell too.

If they're renting you could try making a complaint through the RTB. Obviously the guards also, but they won't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Would there be a way to seal up what ever way the smell is entering your home?
    Obviously be mindful of Carbon monoxide before blocking vents.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Are they smoking inside or outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

We've got stoner neighbours too, smoking at all hours of the day. Can smell it in the common areas and outside their ground-floor apartment (they keep the window open, presumably to disperse the smell).

I don't think they are aware that it's noticeable. We can't smell it at all in our place, luckily, but I had considered dropping a packet of Rizlas outside their door or into their postbox as a hint that it has been noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

We've got stoner neighbours too, smoking at all hours of the day. Can smell it in the common areas and outside their ground-floor apartment (they keep the window open, presumably to disperse the smell).

I don't think they are aware that it's noticeable. We can't smell it at all in out place, luckily, but I had considered dropping a packet of Rizlas outside their door or into their postbox as a hint that it has been noticed.

Alternatively just stick Bob Marley on everytime they're out there! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Contact the Gardai.
    Put a complaint to management company and as above if renters complain to RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I had considered dropping a packet of Rizlas outside their door or into their postbox as a hint that it has been noticed.
    They would probably have taken that as a sign that you don't mind them smoking weed, as you're assisting them to smoke it.

the_syco wrote: »
    They would probably have taken that as a sign that you don't mind them smoking weed, as you're assisting them to smoke it.

My thought was that one would say to the others, "jaysus, you dropped you papers right outside; try to be a bit more careful!"

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pillphil

My thought was that one would say to the others, "jaysus, you dropped you papers right outside; try to be a bit more careful!"

As a former stoner, I would just assume I dropped my skins or stuck them in the post box for some reason while I was high. :D

EDIT: Just re-read your post, I wouldn't be worried if I dropped a packet of skins, could smoke rollies?

Also, if you dropped rizlas, they would probably know they weren't theirs.

What if they were outside smoking cigarettes? Do you think the smell would go into your place?
    What would you do then?
    I'd think both situation would be the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

How is it getting in to your house? Can you smell their food (toast :pac:) cooking too?

pillphil wrote: »
    Also, if you dropped rizlas, they would probably know they weren't theirs.

That was the point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Print off a link to this thread and put in in their letter box

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Tigger wrote: »
    Print off a link to this thread and put in in their letter box

Lol

Could be cannabis scented incense sticks .

As for the smell making you vomit, what if it was a strong curry or something, would you still complain, if the smell made you sick?

I dont like the smell of turnip, but I wouldnt complain if my neighbour cooked it and the smell wafted in. I wouldnt like it, but it wouldnt be cause for complain.

( I know, turnips are legal.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kerryblue03

Tell them you had a friend visit you the last day and he is in the drug squad and he mentioned a strong smell of gange in the gaff and challenged you about smoking it,obviously you denied knowing anything about it but he said tell your neighbours I'll be back again and if I get the same smell there will be hassle in the castle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Contact the Gardai.
    Put a complaint to management company and as above if renters complain to RTB.

I doubt the Gardai will care. They have bigger fish to fry than this. I doubt the management company will either

The RTB could take months to deal with this. I doubt it would fall under anti-social behaviour

OP I would call up to them and say you have no issue with someone smoking weed. But you have a family member with asthma etc who can't be exposed to smoke. For some reason the smoke is going into your apartment. Would they mind smoking on the balcony, at a window or using a vaporiser. IMO they will probably be quite understanding. In fact probably embarrassed that it's getting into your apartment. I would ask if they are smoking in the bathroom resulting in it going into your apartment from poor ducting

I'd start myself with trying to sort it directly, but not from a 'making a complaint' angle.

Something like "Lads, you mightn't even care but I'm just giving you a heads up in case you don't know, the smell of that nice bud is floating throughout the building. No harm, I'm just letting you know in case it's something you're trying to keep to yourself. Anyway, have a good day.".

From that, you aren't making a complaint, you don't mention how it's effecting you, you come across as trying to do them a favour, and it gives you a chance to roughly gauge what kind of people they are. I.E. Might they become aggressive if you complain to the landlord/guards?

There's a chance they want to keep their pastime to themselves, but don't know just how pungent the weed is and/or think they're grand with leaving the window open. If they are those kind of stoners, you will know in the following days if this placid effort to curb the smell has been effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,038 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

have a friendly chat ...they've obviously exceeded the threshold and perhaps they can cut back a bit and you won't notice them anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Find out who the landlord is of their apartment and tell the landlord you want it sorted or the Gardai are getting called next. As it happened I stopped a Garda on patrol at the gates to our apartment and the onsite letting agent saw me talking to him and knew I wasn't messing about.

Exact same happened to me, friends had a young child and wouldn't visit cuz of the smell. Plus, it's illegal in most cases (what if the dealer comes looking for debt due?). If it was just smoke or strong cooking etc I would still contact the landlord. It's in the house rules.

Sorry for all those who think I or the OP should "chill". Smoke whatever you want in your own space if it's not leaving the boundaries of your property.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Sorry for all those who think I or the OP should "chill". Smoke whatever you want in your own space if it's not leaving the boundaries of your property.

How is the smoker in this case who is smoking in his "own place" supposed to know that it is spreading around the complex? More than likely he does not. Instead of nicely saying it to him, you are suggesting get the guards, landlords etc to make a point. What exactly is wrong with knocking on his door to have a chat? It will likely resolve the situation without drama

Or it just because it is illegal, lets make sure the guy gets a charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They'd probably pick it up without a 2nd thought, and if high, never think about it again. And/or assumed one of their mates dropped them.
    BBMcQ wrote: »
    And therein lies the rub; they may have assumed if they keep the windows closed, that the smell wouldn't go elsewhere. Without telling them, they won't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

Thanks for the input folks, I was / am wary of directly approaching by knocking on the door as people I have known of who were stoners were just not the kind of people you'd even make eye contact with, much less go asking them to change how or what they're doing. I just don't want to go complaining as I truly feel people who want to smoke it should really be able to, but I just have a fear of people who aren't in their full senses , most people are quite gentle, mannerly and decent but drugs change people. It's my own personal phobia but I'll have to figure something out if it continues ( food smells won't cause interactions with medication, however, I feel that people should cook turnips in an open field or perhaps use carbon filters )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

pointelle wrote: »
    ( food smells won't cause interactions with medication, )

What is this interaction you talk about? Fair enough you don't like the smell, but it's much less harmful than even the normal urban air you breathe. Note that smoking it and smelling it are not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thanks for the input folks, I was / am wary of directly approaching by knocking on the door as people I have known of who were stoners were just not the kind of people you'd even make eye contact with, much less go asking them to change how or what they're doing. I just don't want to go complaining as I truly feel people who want to smoke it should really be able to, but I just have a fear of people who aren't in their full senses , most people are quite gentle, mannerly and decent but drugs change people. It's my own personal phobia but I'll have to figure something out if it continues ( food smells won't cause interactions with medication, however, I feel that people should cook turnips in an open field or perhaps use carbon filters )

I think you have been fed a crock of ****e about weed. Low concentrations in third hand smoke will do nothing to you. And the stoners will do nothing, since they will most likley be stoned.

Say you can smell it quite strongly in your apartment and your friend is a member of the drug squad. And that he will be visiting at some point, so they need to buy vent filters or something to reduce the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

You are very misinformed about cannabis. You seem to be treating the situation as if there's a house full of coked up lunatics next to you. Weed makes people more chilled out and prone to giggling and eating junk food,

Mountains out of mole hills, talk to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OP are you 100% sure its weed your smelling? Or are you guessing that its weed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭chicorytip

srsly78 wrote:
    What is this interaction you talk about? Fair enough you don't like the smell, but it's much less harmful than even the normal urban air you breathe. Note that smoking it and smelling it are not comparable.

What utter nonsense! Cannabis is a carcinogenic (cancer causing) drug, far more so than Nicotine. If I can smell pot fumes from a neighbouring property I am being subjected to a serious health risk due to the inhalation of second hand smoke. OP, you should have no hesitation in contacting a)the Gardai and b)the management company of your building in order to attempt to put an end to what is, after all, an illegal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Hi anyone got a non confrontational / judgemental way of dealing with this issue?
    They seem to smoke a fair bit of strong smelling weed, comes right up to me through the fan ducts I guess. I have a vomit reaction to the ****ty smell and someone in my home on meds that could react with it ( they were warned to stay away from weed in case they ever took it up ). I don't particularly want to go knocking on anyones door as certain kinds of people take anything as a fight and frankly if you're high you're on drugs you're unpredictable , even drunk people freak me out, I'm not some kinda puritan I think people should be able to smoke that stuff or any other thing they want to smoke but it's sickening and dangerous for a family member. I'm not looking for any trolls to point out perceived faults with my reactions this is a genuine concern , thank you
    I'm aware of weeds' many new medical uses and so on I'm not trying to fire a debate on the stuff, it truly smells like you've stepped on dog poop in the affected rooms! :eek:

I was in the same sit as you, I lost over a stone in weight as Im allergic to plant materials, I asked the LL and he told me nothing he could do, guards told me i would have to accept it as not enough of a crime to bother with. Ppl tell me pot smokes are chilled ppl as the smoker and his friends used to sit on the communal door step and shout racest remarks at passers by, he used to throw things out the window when he couldn't settle to his buzz, with us pesky 9-5ers making noise and disturbing him. I disagree that 2nd had pot doesn't effect ppl, I had my god son in his buggy when he was "hotboxed" and had to be hospitalized cause of his reaction to it. I did approach the smoker and he tried to slap me. Its well known that its unsafe to approach ppl who are high on any substance as the situation can turn far nastier than expected, much faster that you think. I at least had the option to move, but a bit concerned about the situation if I have to move from current sit. I feel for you, its a horrible situation to be in.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

chicorytip wrote: »
    What utter nonsense! Cannabis is a carcinogenic (cancer causing) drug, far more so than Nicotine. If I can smell pot fumes from a neighbouring property I am being subjected to a serious health risk due to the inhalation of second hand smoke. OP, you should have no hesitation in contacting a)the Gardai and b)the management company of your building in order to attempt to put an end to what is, after all, an illegal activity.

Everything is pretty much carcinogenic, the concentration is what matters. Some things are quite pungent and can be smelt at even a low concentration, this does not mean you being poisoned ffs.

Advertisement