Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours pot smoke stinking my home

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Is it an apartment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Bredabe wrote: »
    I was in the same sit as you, I lost over a stone in weight as Im allergic to plant materials, I asked the LL and he told me nothing he could do, guards told me i would have to accept it as not enough of a crime to bother with. Ppl tell me pot smokes are chilled ppl as the smoker and his friends used to sit on the communal door step and shout racest remarks at passers by, he used to throw things out the window when he couldn't settle to his buzz, with us pesky 9-5ers making noise and disturbing him. I disagree that 2nd had pot doesn't effect ppl, I had my god son in his buggy when he was "hotboxed" and had to be hospitalized cause of his reaction to it. I did approach the smoker and he tried to slap me. Its well known that its unsafe to approach ppl who are high on any substance as the situation can turn far nastier than expected, much faster that you think. I at least had the option to move, but a bit concerned about the situation if I have to move from current sit. I feel for you, its a horrible situation to be in.

well, that whole post is clearly completely fabricated.

OP, don't believe a word of this. it's ALL make-believe, none of it happened and on top of that, cannabis causes NONE of those attributes.

just ask them nicely would they mind blowing it in a different direction.

you will NOT get sick from the smell, and it will NOT interfere with ANY medication or illness/mental state as a "third party"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Its more likely that they have a indoor kennel beside the vent. If it smells like dog poop, then it is more likely to be dog poop than weed. That a very strange jump you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Or it just because it is illegal, lets make sure the guy gets a charge?

If was definitely a contributing factor to how I dealth with it. It was was cigarette smoke or other legal odours, I would have went thru the landlords. If it's an illegal substance, get the law involved.

To be honest I wouldn't risk a confrontation with a neighbour I hardly knew (who I knew was up to illegalities).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Put a note in their letterbox that reads " I know what you are doing, you should stop " they'll be paranoid about it and decide to move their grow house for fear of the old bill nicking em. Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I've the same issue in my apartment block and they've got small kids yet they smoke all the time.. The smell in my apartment can be an absolute joke at times..

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

Would it not be better to adress how the smell is entering your apartment? If the next tenents are meth or heroin smokers or burn their toast, you'll have those smells still coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

srsly78 wrote: »
    Your hysterical imagination carries no weight. Why the hell would you put your godson in a "hotbox"? What is a hotbox anyway!?

Hotbox is where you smoke weed in a small, enclosed place like a wardrobe so you're consistently smoking, even when not pulling on a joint. Takes a very small place, normally about 1% the size of two houses. It would take about 4 joints being smoked simultaneously to hotbox a 2 man tent. So a lot of people smoking a lot of weed.

OP I'd talk to the neighbours, smoking weed won't send anyone off the rails, if they're sound sober they'll be sound high, arseholes sober remain arseholes when they're high, weed won't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Would you maybe say to your landlord that you think there may be an issue with venting in the property because cooking and other smells are seeping into your apartment? That way they can investigate the issue without you making a complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

you at least have some idea! It actually smells like sh*t, won't budge with windows open, sticks to your clothes even ones in hotpress, I'll bet you'd be pretty reluctant to approach the smokers?
    I don't mind cooking smells/fumes (even turnip) as they pong a bit and then they are gone, my family member was warned specifically to avoid weed smoke by a hospital consultant we read up on internet for details as it was so specific and it could really fcuk you up. I don't feel the need to share someone elses' exact medical details but it's no joke
    stoners come into contact with dealers \ can be dealers / are in an altered state - it's undeniable. the poster who mentioned hotbox was absolutely right it smells like two or three people have just left the room after smoking, they smoke in the morning they smoke at night .
    it makes some people vomit- I've also read about weed allergy but I'm off on a tangent
    some interesting points made, I'm glad there's support for this issue, you'd have to smell it or be in one of the affected areas for a half hour, thumping headache!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Have you a family member or a different neighbour you'd be willing to ask to call over and have a word? In all honesty, it's as dangerous as knocking on a door with a party going on and asking them to turn it down, probably less so.

I know a good few smokers and I know that if someone called over because they were stinking out someone elses house, they'd all apologize for the smell, apologize for wasting your time in having to come over, and smoke somewhere else. Obviously not everyone is going to react like this but the majority will.

If it continues I'd go about a sterner option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

OP , theres an important distinction here

is it being smoked inside or outside, that changes a lot. If its being smoked outside and the smell is getting in your window or whatever then id just leave them a letter in the letterbox saying "here lads, the smoke is getting in the windows, can you smoke that away from the building please" most stoners like an easy life and will gladly walk 10ft away from the building to stop complaints.

if its being smoked inside and you are getting the smell then they are either smoking a lot, or theres some sort of building fault. Do you smell cooking or anything else from their house ? How do you think the smell is getting in ? , in that case id leave a letter saying 'here lads, the smell is getting to my house from yours, Im going to get somebody in to take a look , could you not smoke on x date " and then call in somebody to take a look for where the leak is coming from. Once you have the issue fixed, you can go back to not being disturbed and they can continue on without interfering with you.

if they respond rudely , tell you to f* off or cause any damage then go to the gardai and landlord if available, but try and do this politely first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

This actually happened to me in Canada but i was the smoker. We lived in an apartment block and every now and then had friends over for a few smokes and a game of cards or whatever. we used smoke inside and didn't realize the smell was escaping the apartment. One day while i was taking shopping out of the car a neighbour appriached and told me the smell was getting into their apartment above. She was cool about it and said she didnt care what we did in our own apartment but it was affecting hers. I apologised and from then on when we were having a few we just blocked the vents off in the room and left them blocked for the night. No big deal and no police, management or falling out .
    Just approach them and tell them straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Just stick an anonymous, but nice, letter through their door if you are worried about drugged up (lol) stoners reacting aggressively. Hi there, I am a neighbour of yours (dont need to say in which direction) and the smell of weed is constantly in my apartment because of shared vents. I have no problem with you smoking weed but I really dont like the smell of it. If possible, in future could you smoke outside (or at least block all the vents).

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

richy wrote: »
    If possible, in future could you smoke outside (or at least block all the vents).
    On this point, OP, is there any one part of the house that the smell is particularly strong? There may be a crack in the ceiling in one section, as smoke goes everywhere...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

This is accommodation and property, a serious forum. Please post constructively and on topic, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Having lived next to some Olympic level stoners I can assure you they don't attract the greatest of elements.

We eventually convinced the LL that life was going to be easier if he didn't renew the lease, these days we'd probably need to take further action through the RTB and courts, but I digress. We had one incident of 'friends' coming around and one peeing in the stair. Another of someone carving 'get my money' into their door with a knife.

Stoners are no worse than alcoholics, but they're not much better either. As with all people with addictions, physical or otherwise there are different levels of functioning, but living next door, or even near to, serious stoners is not as grand as people make out.

Also pot smoke reeks, no point in pretending otherwise and until it's legalised one has every right no to put up with it.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    Sure youve no control over who you live next to in any case.

Ive had a neighbour who attracted total scumbags who would arrive with bags of cans and drink and fight there for days on end. Sometimes taking to the carpark and damaging cars, p1ssing in bushes, the guards were called regularly as were ambulances.

It doesnt take addiction to attract scummers round the area.

It doesn't help either. It's an illegal drug, drug dealers aren't nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Having lived next to some Olympic level stoners I can assure you they don't attract the greatest of elements.

We eventually convinced the LL that life was going to be easier if he didn't renew the lease, these days we'd probably need to take further action through the RTB and courts, but I digress. We had one incident of 'friends' coming around and one peeing in the stair. Another of someone carving 'get my money' into their door with a knife.

Stoners are no worse than alcoholics, but they're not much better either. As with all people with addictions, physical or otherwise there are different levels of functioning, but living next door, or even near to, serious stoners is not as grand as people make out.

Also pot smoke reeks, no point in pretending otherwise and until it's legalised one has every right no to put up with it.

You are mistaking stoners for violent scumbags with no respect for anything. Not that somebody can't be both but to be honest, you can usually tell in a glance if somebody likes to respond to things with words or fists. Unless you lead a very sheltered life or have a complete inability to pick up on body language. The odd time you can be surprised but the majority of the time its pretty obvious.

You are mistaking stoners for violent scumbags with no respect for anything. Not that somebody can't be both but to be honest, you can usually tell in a glance if somebody likes to respond to things with words or fists. Unless you lead a very sheltered life or have a complete inability to pick up on body language. The odd time you can be surprised but the majority of the time its pretty obvious.

Other than the constant noise of COD and the smell they were fine. It was a combination of idiot friends, and presumably the dealer they were in debt to.

Advertisement