Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Leave Bank Holidays

Options
  • 23-02-2017 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi, my maternity leave is finishing the end of April and I called my employer today to organise taking the bank holidays I had accrued at the end of my maternity leave to give me an extra week. My employer said that she wouldn't leave me take the days at the end of maternity leave and I'd have to return to work and I could take them over the course of the rest of the year.

Just wondering where I stand with this, is she entitled to specify when I can take those days even when I am giving her two months notice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Sprites wrote: »
    Hi, my maternity leave is finishing the end of April and I called my employer today to organise taking the bank holidays I had accrued at the end of my maternity leave to give me an extra week. My employer said that she wouldn't leave me take the days at the end of maternity leave and I'd have to return to work and I could take them over the course of the rest of the year.

Just wondering where I stand with this, is she entitled to specify when I can take those days even when I am giving her two months notice?

Thanks

As far as I know, yes they can. You are of course entitled to the days off but I think they're allowed to dictate when under reasonable terms. They could argue that they would be required to keep your replacement on longer in order to facilitate a hand over whereas if you took a day off a week, it would not be an additional cost to them.

It's unusual though as you are entitled to unpaid leave in that time, so for the sake of a week, it's pointless

Advertisement