Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for membership in a club

Options
  • 23-02-2017 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Why is it so hard to get into fishing clubs ? I applied to the Lee and the bandon in cork just to see what would happen and was turned down on each occasion without a good reason

Is it clubs don't want new members or what ?? I get the impression that they dont want any new members only friends and family etc

I do most of my fishing on the blackwater where I had no hassle joining a syndicate but it's something that always annoyed me

What are people's opinions on the matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

popsy09 wrote: »
    Why is it so hard to get into fishing clubs ? I applied to the Lee and the bandon in cork just to see what would happen and was turned down on each occasion without a good reason

Is it clubs don't want new members or what ?? I get the impression that they dont want any new members only friends and family etc

I do most of my fishing on the blackwater where I had no hassle joining a syndicate but it's something that always annoyed me

What are people's opinions on the matter

Unfortunately, some clubs are over-subscribed and have to limit their numbers, I'm in two such clubs and we have to keep a waiting list of applicants. In some cases it is literally dead men's shoes. If the club are leasing water from IFI, one of the conditions of the lease is making permits available, so at least you have the option of buying a day permit. If they own or lease the water from a private owner, I'm afraid you're out of luck. All I can suggest is getting to know one or two members if you can, they may be able to propose you for membership which might give you a better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Zzippy wrote: »
    Unfortunately, some clubs are over-subscribed and have to limit their numbers, I'm in two such clubs and we have to keep a waiting list of applicants. In some cases it is literally dead men's shoes. If the club are leasing water from IFI, one of the conditions of the lease is making permits available, so at least you have the option of buying a day permit. If they own or lease the water from a private owner, I'm afraid you're out of luck. All I can suggest is getting to know one or two members if you can, they may be able to propose you for membership which might give you a better chance.

I know there is that side to it where it's not possible to join but I know of a few people who joined the Lee this year who are not really into fishing they just know the right person

It's just frustrating really , day tickets are great yes but it's just hassle I'd like to he able to go whenever I want

Suppose it's not what ya know it's who ya know ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Those clubs you mentioned always had that reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

SeaFields wrote: »
    Those clubs you mentioned always had that reputation.

Well I know of a case that went to court over joining the Lee I'm not sure which club now but 2 people were not allowed in the club and the went to court about it saying it's discrimination and they won

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

For a club thats supposedly so full up on members, i rarely see anybody salmon fishing on the club waters of the lee. I really dont see how its so hard to get membership.

Surely having a few keen local anglers on board in one of those clubs can only be a good thing. You would have more people there to be vigilant for poaching and the like.

• Advertisement

I know there is that side to it where it's not possible to join but I know of a few people who joined the Lee this year who are not really into fishing they just know the right person

It's just frustrating really , day tickets are great yes but it's just hassle I'd like to he able to go whenever I want

That's pretty unfortunate, and not a nice situation. The clubs I'm in have very strict policies on waiting lists and membership - priority given to local applicants and a two-year probation/associate membership when you join. If people thought the committee were favouring their buddies and rejecting decent applicants they'd be out the door quick...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

A Local club near me seems to be quite happy with who they have now - I am a member but it frustrates the hell out of me that there is no push for new young blood.

Once the fees are covered then great - that'l do. No It wont - run a bloody competition, get lads up to the local secondary school and get young lads interested - make it a club!!

ardinn wrote: »
    A Local club near me seems to be quite happy with who they have now - I am a member but it frustrates the hell out of me that there is no push for new young blood.

Once the fees are covered then great - that'l do. No It wont - run a bloody competition, get lads up to the local secondary school and get young lads interested - make it a club!!

Have you brought it up at an AGM? Are there like-minded members who would support those initiatives? Might take getting involved yourself, running for committee, proposing a youth policy/youth office and maybe volunteering to do it yourself. The Angling Council of Ireland have supports and run courses in child protection and coaching etc that you and club members could avail of...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Jaysus my local club is just go shop and pay tenner for the season.

Not a cub then really your just buying rights!!

• Advertisement

Not a cub then really your just buying rights!!

Dodder anglers club. Reckon it's a club. Been around a long time and licence gives rights to fly fish in bohernabreena reservoir

Dodder anglers club. Reckon it's a club. Been around a long time and licence gives rights to fly fish in bohernabreena reservoir

[ C, + sing/pl verb ] an organization of people with a common purpose or interest, who meet regularly and take part in shared activities:

:P

[ C, + sing/pl verb ] an organization of people with a common purpose or interest, who meet regularly and take part in shared activities:

:P

They have competitions on during season for fly, juniors etc throughout the year and stock the river aswell. I'd say they're a club.

Ah, from your post above you said a tenner for the season only, no mention of comps etc - thats what I was getting at - Would like my own to do more anyway! nothing happening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Same here but €40 for the year. The club meets regularly, has numerous competitions, away days, coaching sessions, does river improvement work etc.

You just go to one of several outlets and sign up to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Was at the agm of the Lee salmon anglers a few weeks ago and I hardly knew anyone there was loads of new faces there so they are letting people in but it does seem to be if you know someone then that works in your favour
    Also I was told the Bandon were letting new members in too this year

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

Hi All,

If anyone is interested Kells Angling Association (http://kellsanglers.com) has a few spaces for members if you are interested. Only 45 mins from Dublin and a very active club.

Advertisement