Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Food Pyramid for Ireland

Options

Comments

BabySlam wrote: »

Im calling shenanigans on that infographic.

Wholewheat breads and pasta, potatos and rice 3-5 portions per day. * Teenage boys and men aged 20-50 up to 7 portions a day. How does one have 7 portions of rice in a day if you aren't a long distance skier?

It seems to say fat is bad, oil is bad, which I thought is the opposite of modern attitudes. You need fat in your diet. Eating fat doesn't make you fat etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Like the old food pyramid , the portion sizes are very small. E.g. 3 dessert spoons of porridge oats, pasta or rice. Most people would eat 3 portions at one meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Fat is bad, orange juice is good :rolleyes:

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Fat is bad, orange juice is good :rolleyes:

Again if you read the small print, only one (very small) portion of fruit juice counts as a portion of fruit and veg.

I know the food pyramid has faults as do healthy eating plates etc.. But do you think for the majority of Irish people , many of whom are obese, basing their diet on fresh , seasonal fruit, veg and whole grains , with smaller amounts of dairy and meat and veg protein, and limiting fat and processed foods is really a bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Remember, these schemes aren't aimed at 'healthy eaters'. You're not the problem. '5 a day' was never about getting people to eat a healthy amount of fruit and veg. It was more about 'how can we get to batteredpizzaburger brigade to consider maybe sometimes eating something that grew'. 5 a day was a realisable target dressed up as a recommendation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

I agree I don't think it's a bad thing for people who generally follow and bad diet, but the message shouldn't be for one that caters to people who eat extremely unhealthily (which I don't think it is - I think it's intended for everyone - which is wide of the mark I think).

It should be a benchmark in which to aim for - for life, for any individual*.

Just on the juice thing - they're loaded with sugars and the pyramid has it as one of your 5 a day, but sugary drinks etc only to be taken in once a week max. Now I know there's a difference between fructose of refined sugar, but the amount of people to thing cartons of regular orange juice are healthy is crazy.

*obviously some people have special dietary requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Wholewheat breads and pasta, potatos and rice 3-5 portions per day. * Teenage boys and men aged 20-50 up to 7 portions a day. How does one have 7 portions of rice in a day if you aren't a long distance skier?
    I think it's down to the fact that they consider a serve of rice to be something like 25g, which is completely contrary to what a normal person understands as a serving.

Hiding that fact in the small print is doing a lot of harm.
    I know the food pyramid has faults as do healthy eating plates etc.. But do you think for the majority of Irish people , many of whom are obese, basing their diet on fresh , seasonal fruit, veg and whole grains , with smaller amounts of dairy and meat and veg protein, and limiting fat and processed foods is really a bad thing?
    The issue isn't encouraging fresh food. The issue is that they are pushing a ridiculous emphasis on certain foods over other. Actually look up where the food pyramid came from, and who funded its reinvention to focus on carbs.
    endacl wrote: »
    Remember, these schemes aren't aimed at 'healthy eaters'. You're not the problem. '5 a day' was never about getting people to eat a healthy amount of fruit and veg. It was more about 'how can we get to batteredpizzaburger brigade to consider maybe sometimes eating something that grew'. 5 a day was a realisable target dressed up as a recommendation.
    5 a day recommendation predates the current issues with batteredpizzaburger's by a lot. 5 a day isn't the issue.

The issue is that they are still over emphasizing certain food over others and pushing the ancient idea that fat is bad. 5 serves of fruit and veg is fine, 5 serves of potatoes bread and rice on top of the isn't.
    Then you hypocrisy's like sugar drinks should only be once a day, but orange juice can be daily. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Again if you read the small print, only one (very small) portion of fruit juice counts as a portion of fruit and veg

Maybe I'm blind but I can't see where it says "very small"?, "Limit fruit juice to unsweetened, once a day" is the only reference I see. I get your point but I'd simply have left juice off shelf 1 as it gives the impression it's akin to fresh fruit and veg which it isn't.

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Maybe I'm blind but I can't see where it says "very small"?, "Limit fruit juice to unsweetened, once a day" is the only reference I see. I get your point but I'd simply have left juice off shelf 1 as it gives the impression it's akin to fresh fruit and veg which it isn't.

Well this does prove your point, you have to go looking to find out that only 150 ml of fresh unsweetened fruit juice is reccommend per day. Yes I agree it should not be on it.
    (It's on the fruit and veg fact sheet and on the leaflet)

Advertisement