Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 passport requirement

Options
  • 23-02-2017 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

I've been nominated to study in the US on a J1 visa, I'll be returning to Ireland in December 2017, my passport is valid until May 2018, 5 months after I return.
    I've read that passports need to be valid for 6 months past your departure date from the US. I've also read that passports just need to be valid until you leave the US.

Has anyone any experience of this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

You'll need to get a new passport in a year, so just get one now and save yourself the worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

I should have added that I need the passport that I will be traveling with in 15 working days,
    Passport express is also about 15 working days on average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Boaty wrote: »
    I should have added that I need the passport that I will be traveling with in 15 working days,
    Passport express is also about 15 working days on average

Ahh. I can't answer your question. I've heard they look for 6 months till expiry but not positive. Maybe call the embassy? You can get a passport in a 3 or 4 days through this link if you do get stuck: https://www.passportappointments.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

That was a stressful 12 hours or so. The embassy got back to me extremely quickly and said that if your traveling on a Irish, EU or Visa waiver programme country your passport needs only to be valid for the duration of your stay.

Nice to see that they appreciate that some things are time sensitive when responding.

Advertisement