Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grievence Procedure Interview

Options
  • 23-02-2017 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi guys

Looking for some advice - I work in the public sector less than 2 years

I've been 'invited' to a Grievence Interview with my boss. Due to some unexplained absences from work.

Any advice???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You could ask for evidence where you're been instructed that your not to adjust your own clock (whatever that is)

Two unexplained absence could result in verbal warning and pip, possible pushed up to verbal warning for adjusting clock incorrectly if they can show that you were shown not to.

Pip is a personal improvement plan, typically goes along with a discipline.

It's a plan setting out your expected behaviour for the next six months/year and clearly defining what happens if you don't meet the expectations in it. If you are agreeing to a pip ensure thentargets are just and reasonable. I don't mean attendance and timekeeping as they will always have zero incidence as the target.

Probably not in this case but in instances where employees would have ongoing absence or tardiness over vague "medical" issues I would insist in the pip that each and every absence was certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you have unexplained absences from work?

Why did they happen, and why weren't they explained at the time? We need to know that to advise.

Why did they happen, and why weren't they explained at the time? We need to know that to advise.

Op deleted a post with a passing reference to the reason, not wanting to explain the medical issue Fully to the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Do you mean an investigation? Grievances are usually initiated by a subordinate.

Go to the investigation and be honest. If you don't wish to fully explain your absences then your employer may make the decision that you are not able to fulfill your contract and issue a warning or dismiss you. They may take that decision anyway but having all the facts can assist an employer in making a sympathetic decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Yep - the first time was in Gardai station making a report as husband had beaten me up the night before. Hate talking about this as its so upsetting. I have the report from Garda station
    Second time was where my mum was in hospital round the corner receiving chemo. I checked her in and left her there as i had to go to work. Then received a call from hospital to say she had passed out. No one in the office to tell and honestly i just hate burdening my manager with this. But he's gonna have to know now

Do you mean an investigation? Grievances are usually initiated by a subordinate.

Go to the investigation and be honest. If you don't wish to fully explain your absences then your employer may make the decision that you are not able to fulfill your contract and issue a warning or dismiss you. They may take that decision anyway but having all the facts can assist an employer in making a sympathetic decision.

Is it not verbal warning first, then first written and second written warning? Thats the procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Bring a union Rep or a close work colleague with you. Don't go in alone.
    Seek the support and advice of your employers SCP (support contact person). Also make an appointment to attend your EAP or Occ Health physician. You clearly have personal issues outside of work but if your managers don't know there's a problem (you don't have to disclose the details) they will see you has being insubordinate.
    If you attend Occ Health the dr can issue a letter to your managers stating that there are personal problems.
    All of this will show that you are willing to work with your employer and that you are working with the employer by taking responsibility for work absences, no matter how traumatic they were for you.

fg1406 wrote: »
    Bring a union Rep or a close work colleague with you. Don't go in alone.
    Seek the support and advice of your employers SCP (support contact person). Also make an appointment to attend your EAP or Occ Health physician. You clearly have personal issues outside of work but if your managers don't know there's a problem (you don't have to disclose the details) they will see you has being insubordinate.
    If you attend Occ Health the dr can issue a letter to your managers stating that there are personal problems.
    All of this will show that you are willing to work with your employer and that you are working with the employer by taking responsibility for work absences, no matter how traumatic they were for you.

Thank you so much for this advice. Didn't even know that SCP or Occ Health physician was available. I was in John of Gods last year too for 8 weeks as result of all the stress. Whats an EAP?

The public sector has Employee Assistance Programme available for all employees to access. They are trained counsellors to help you with any manner of personal or work related issues you may be facing. I know from experience when I worked in the PubSector they are fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

The very best of luck to you OP you have a lot on your plate X

The public sector has Employee Assistance Programme available for all employees to access. They are trained counsellors to help you with any manner of personal or work related issues you may be facing. I know from experience when I worked in the PubSector they are fantastic.

Its hard to believe i told my boss last year about getting the safety order and having to go to court. Then told him about my mums lung cancer.
    Then her mum (my nan) died in November.
    And in all that time I was never informed of the Employee Assistance Programme.
    Just trying to keep going and keep my job, my 2 kids safe from an abusive ex husband who i'm in the process of trying to get out of the house at the moment

Just reading it now its a lot to take on alright.....

Turns out as its local government i'm not covered by the EAP. Typical!! Ah well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Is it not verbal warning first, then first written and second written warning? Thats the procedure

'Steps' can be skipped although a dismissal requires certain procedures to be adhered to in the interview IIRC.

Turns out as its local government i'm not covered by the EAP. Typical!! Ah well ...

So you work for a local authority? Or are you civil service? (Don't answer if you don't want to!)

No one in the office to tell and honestly i just hate burdening my manager with this. But he's gonna have to know now

Of course your manager has to know about absences.

It does not look good for you that you didn't explain yourself earlier.

Hopefully for your sake they will be sympathetic - but there's no requirement for them to be if you simply abandoned your post.

Of course your manager has to know about absences.

It does not look good for you that you didn't explain yourself earlier.

Hopefully for your sake they will be sympathetic - but there's no requirement for them to be if you simply abandoned your post.

Its not a regular occurance. I don't take fag breaks like my colleagues do every hour and abandoning their post. It happened twice in 23 months at a time of extreme stress in personal circumstances. I'm actually a very conscientious worker but totally see your point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Judging from the second post on here OP it looks like you adjusted your clock ins or something? If that's the case you could be in serious trouble for that. I'd definitely bring someone you trust into the meeting with you.

Its not a regular occurance. I don't take fag breaks like my colleagues do every hour and abandoning their post.

I know it sucks that nicotine addicts are facilitated in their mental health needs. But really that's a different issue - and the manager does know where they've gone.

I hope that it works out for you. But in future, always let your manager know before you leave, not afterwards.

Advertisement