Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear wheel bearing replacement

Options
  • 23-02-2017 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, just looking for a bit of help here. Me rear wheel needs it's bearings replaced. They are sealed type bearings and I have bought the replacements after looking at the specs. The wheel set is a planetx al30 track wheels.

So I have removed the freewheel, and one of the axle bolts. However I am now left with one axle bolt that is stuck fast. The problem being that the axle spins freely and there is nothing to lock the axle in place. (At least not as far as I can see.)

I have attached some pictures to show the issue, although the pictures probably don't offer much! I should note that there is no hex bolt fittings in the end of the axle to hold it...)

I bet I am doing something very stupid, so any advice would be appreciated! I actually have two rear wheels of the same type, and one is worn out that I'm using for 'practice', but I have the same problem with both.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

You should only need to remove one axle nut then knock the axle through the bearings. It could be pretty tight so careful not to spoil the thread!

Here we go, found a "how to" page:- https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/199359/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Perfect, thanks for that. I had actually tried to hammer out the axle and didn't have much luck. But I clearly just have to give it more welly!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Aaaand I broke a spoke on my commute home before even getting a chance to look at this again. I guess it's a sign that I should just let a bike shop look at this. Don't fancy trying to true a wheel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It's fairly obvious that you need a brand new bike...:D

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement