Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you driving unlicenced?

• 23-02-2017 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭

If your driving licence expires on let's say the 28th February 2017 and you don't get a chance to get to the the NDLS until the 26th of February so you won't receive your new licence until early March. Are you aloud to drive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If your driving licence expires on let's say the 28th February 2017 and you don't get a chance to get to the the NDLS until the 26th of February so you won't receive your new licence until early March. Are you aloud to drive?

Legally not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

you are required by law to carry your licence with you while driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

My insurance says I must hold, or have held in the past 10 years the relevant licence. So in my opinion, yes, you can drive if it's recently expired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Some people say once you've the receipt with you the Gardai don't anything tough.

pablo128 wrote: »
    My insurance says I must hold, or have held in the past 10 years the relevant licence. So in my opinion, yes, you can drive if it's recently expired.

In opinion of your insurance company - yes - you are covered if you drive.
    But it doesn't mean that it's legal to drive without licence.

Not that garda are going to do anything once they see a receipt from NDLS, but legally you can't drive without licence.

Also not a chance of renting a car, and it would be big risk to drive abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Some people say once you've the receipt with you the Gardai don't anything tough.

generally don't or give u the ten days to produce...
    but that was not the question asked :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They give you a A4 sheet as a receipt and it tells you on it that it is not to be used in place of a driving licence.

When I was waiting for my renewal licence I still drove. It is really up to the garda who stops you really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

Once you have a recipe from the NDLS you should be fine. I mean it takes about 5 days to get a new licence so even if they ask you to present to a Garda station, they give you 10 days.

Also, realistically, how often does a Gard ask to see your licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Just because you don't carry the licence, doesn't mean that you are unlicensed.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Just because you don't carry the licence, doesn't mean that you are unlicensed.

That's true.
    But once your licence expired, and you haven't renewed it, it does mean you are unlicensed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

CiniO wrote: »
    That's true.
    But once your licence expired, and you haven't renewed it, it does mean you are unlicensed.

Once you've applied for a replacement, you will be classed as licenced, unless for some reason your application is rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Do as I done. Photocopy your old licence before handing it in and carry it with you until your new one arrives.

I used different dates in the post. When they went to the NDLS they were handed their old paper license back and they've received a text saying it will arrive in three to five days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

mikeecho wrote: »
    Once you've applied for a replacement, you will be classed as licenced, unless for some reason your application is rejected.

What actually expires at the date? The document called 'driving license' or the actual license to drive the vehicles?

grogi wrote: »
    What actually expires at the date? The document called 'driving license' or the actual license to drive the vehicles?

IMO both.

The "driving licence" document has it's own expiry date, and each driving licence category has it's own expiry date.

In majority of cases, all those dates will be the same, but in some cases might be different.

So what needs renewing is not only the "driving licence document", but also entitlement to each category, and some of them depending on circumstances might require extra checks / eye tests/ medical tests, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Gavinz wrote: »
    Once you have a recipe from the NDLS you should be fine

Would the recipe be for roadkill?:pac:

Should the person have received their old paper licence back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

You keep your old licence if it's still in date at the time of presentation to NDLS. New one took about a week for me earlier this month.

bennya wrote: »
    You keep your old licence if it's still in date at the time of presentation to NDLS. New one took about a week for me earlier this month.

I think they changed it a year or two ago.
    Before you had to hand down your old licence (even if valid) with the application for new one.

Not too bad if it was only a week.
    But in 2012 before NDLS, Mayo motortax office told me straight away that waiting time is around 4 months so I would need to drive for 4 months without licence document.

Are you aloud to drive?
    Gavinz wrote: »
    Once you have a recipe from the NDLS you should be fine.
    Would the recipe be for roadkill?:pac:

I'd say more like recipe for roadnoise...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Applied for a new licence yesterday (change of personal details)

Old paper licence was seized for damage.

Receipt issued, with a photocopy of old licence.

Technically, I am meant to have my licence with me, but it will take a member of AGS being very harsh on me for it to be an issue.

Applied for a new licence yesterday (change of personal details)

Old paper licence was seized for damage.

Receipt issued, with a photocopy of old licence.

Technically, I am meant to have my licence with me, but it will take a member of AGS being very harsh on me for it to be an issue.

You didn't have to agree to have it seized. You could have kept it, until new one was ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I drove with no licence at all for 3 weeks in 2006. I wouldn't do it ever again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

CiniO wrote: »
    You didn't have to agree to have it seized. You could have kept it, until new one was ready.

I did argue that with them, that numerous agencies in the past month from the high court down accepted it without problem, that it shouldn't be counted as damaged and should be returned to me, but they were having none of it. Their policy dictates damaged licences are €35 to replace, and they retain the old one. No exceptions.

If there was no change of details I could have happily kept using it until its expiry in 2020 without issue!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement