Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW e39 running problem

• 23-02-2017 8:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all so my 1998 e39 520i had a starting issue which turned out to be a bad starter. So I replaced it with a new one and it starts straight away but now there is a problem.

So I start the car and the car revs up and then down and cuts out. Anybody any idea on what could be the problem.

Also I had to disconnect a few things including taking out the intake manifold the throttle body, mass air flow sensor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Hi all so my 1998 e39 520i had a starting issue which turned out to be a bad starter. So I replaced it with a new one and it starts straight away but now there is a problem.

So I start the car and the car revs up and then down and cuts out. Anybody any idea on what could be the problem.

Also I had to disconnect a few things including taking out the intake manifold the throttle body, mass air flow sensor.

Plug them all back in :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

If only it was that easy. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere, you're gonna have to get a good look in and check you've everything installed right. You may have to go stripping out again if there's nothing blindingly obvious.

Sounds like you have an air leak somewhere, you're gonna have to get a good look in and check you've everything installed right. You may have to go stripping out again if there's nothing blindingly obvious.

I know, I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You may have a split pipe/hose that was caused when you took it out - keep an eye out for any damage when you're investigating.

• Advertisement

You may have a split pipe/hose that was caused when you took it out - keep an eye out for any damage when you're investigating.

Will do. Cheers.

Is everything currently plugged in? If so, I'd bet on your MAF. Plug it out and see if it runs.

Is everything currently plugged in? If so, I'd bet on your MAF. Plug it out and see if it runs.

What happens when you run with it plugged out?

What happens when you run with it plugged out?

Usually it'll run fine, maybe a bit shaky and may throw a light but if your MAF is faulty it will start and die like that, I had it on my 528i.

Usually it'll run fine, maybe a bit shaky and may throw a light but if your MAF is faulty it will start and die like that, I had it on my 528i.

Really, more money to waste so. I replaced the alternator, starter and now MAF. Does it ever end. :(

• Advertisement

I'm thinking it could be the MAF alright as it was raining the day I was working on the car and I just left it lying on top or the radiator so maybe the rain damaged it.

But then on the other hand it may be something else. Thanks for the help anyway.

Foxhole Norman where did you get your MAF from. Just looked up the price of them and they are seriously expensive.

Scrappy it must have been? No?

Foxhole Norman where did you get your MAF from. Just looked up the price of them and they are seriously expensive.

Scrappy it must have been? No?

You can get new units fairly cheap from here:

http://www.maf-shop.com/index.php/cat/c8_MAF-BMW.html/XTCsid/085e4df8cd96fd6178b2b7d465711f87

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Car should run without maf. I was drining with mine disconnected for couple of weeks, when ibforgot connect mine. You would not notice difference. E39 525i

Mandzhalas wrote: »
    Car should run without maf. I was drining with mine disconnected for couple of weeks, when ibforgot connect mine. You would not notice difference. E39 525i

Can confirm the same, also a 525i.

Advertisement