Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did you last encounter a Garda checkpoint?

• 23-02-2017 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Just interested to know with all the Garda checkpoints in the media when did you last encounter a checkpoint whilst driving. Myself it was the week before Christmas.

When did you last encounter a Garda checkpoint whilst driving? 201 votes

Today
    0% 0 votes
    In the last week
    1% 3 votes
    In the last month
    13% 28 votes
    In the last 3 months
    16% 34 votes
    In the last 6 months
    18% 37 votes
    In the last 9 months
    7% 15 votes
    In the last year
    2% 5 votes
    In the last 3 years
    14% 29 votes
    In the last 5 years
    15% 31 votes
    In the last 10 years
    5% 12 votes
    Over 10 years
    1% 3 votes
    Never
    1% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

cant remember the last garda one. years. Custom ones, probably just before christmas

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Last week

Five in total so far this year

About 25 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

At least more than 12 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

last one was around two months ago.... before that was 8 years.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't think there was any last or this year. I don't drive long distances often but I drive daily. I probably came across more on holidays since I live here than in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

There was one for most of the day on the M11 Southbound just past Jack Whites inn at Brittas Bay. Been travelling that road at least once a week for years and never seen one there before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I haven't passed through one in about 10 years, and I drive around Dublin daily. I have seen a few on the opposite side of the M50 a couple of times, but even that is a rare occurrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

There was one the other night on the back road to Bandon. There will another one soon as they always seem to do it in groups of 2 or 3 in the space of a month then nothing for ages. Last time they did it was when I had just got my car. I had imported it and it took ages to get the NCT and everything sorted and I got stopped 3 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Over last 10 years driving in Ireland (plenty of driving as I used to drive professionally so about half a million kilometres) I've had 3 checkpoints, and all of them were more than 5 years ago.
    One in Galway, one in Westport and one in Dublin.

During the same time (in last 10 years) I've done probably about 75k km on the Continent (so only about 15% of what I've driven in Ireland) and I was pulled over on at least 15 checkpoints (probably more).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Waved through a customs checkpoint last month just off the M9. Haven't had my tax/insurance checked in about 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Honestly it's been years since I've been stopped at a checkpoint... been through a few without being stopped/ checked and seen a good few on opposite carriageway... could probably predict where checks would be if I was trying to avoid them ...( which I'm not )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Checkpoint most times I go to visit my parents near a certain part of Crumlin. Tax and insurance is just a cover....it's particular people they're looking for and what they might have in their car and what they're up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

It was about six weeks ago just for tax and insurance. Before that it had been about three years. I'm driving 19 years and iv never been asked to blow in the bag. It's always just tax and insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

If you asked 2 years ago, i'd say several years. But recently Dundalk has a great Garda presence, get stopped about once a fortnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

I go through an armed checkpoint at least once a week.Thats what I get for living in the badlands of Dublin 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

In the last month but it was the first one I encountered in a few years. Just tax and insurance check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Weekly.
    They have particular hot spots.

I pass the same checkpoint weekly on the bypass in Cavan, combined customs Garda checkpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

About 12 times in last month alone. Mostly D12. Also plenty of places near the m50. Blitzing the old nct / tax dodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Hadn't been through 1 in about 2 years then passed through 2 in the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

About 3 weeks ago or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

they had one outside my front door about an hour ago checking for tax. not 1 car stopped and the 2 lads carrying it out looked totally disinterested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Last Friday in Rathgar at 1am, got breath tested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well over a year ago anyway.. and I do over 1000km a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

About three weeks ago, Navan - Kells road.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Lofty123

In the last month just outside Clonmel, tax overdue by 3 weeks, got a friendly warning. Prior to that at least 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭pjproby

Dublin 22 3 three times last week.
    regularly at least once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

2013 for me, Gardai was picking his nose in middle of road on junction for M8 Mitchelstown early Sunday morning job. Only remember as was heading to ferry for France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Twice in Dundalk last Sat night.
    Last Mon night again in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

A RSU one with the armed chaps looking for someone about 6 or 8 months ago. Couldn't tell you before that.

Never seen a customs stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd probably go through one once a month, sometimes more. 50% of them are the armed checkpoints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

3 times in the last 10 days. Kerry, swords and drogheda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

last night. 2 very chatty Garda backed up by armed response unit just visible in the shadow
    Dublin 24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Almost 7 years driving, about 5 or 6 Garda, and 1 PSNI. PSNI and one Garda asked for Licence and a bit of chat, one or two check points just checked the windscreen, rest waved through.

Most of driving is around the NW and both sides of border area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Went through an armed one today in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Dord wrote: »
    Went through an armed one today in Dublin.

Armed with Donuts and costa coffee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Armed with Donuts and costa coffee?

funny-memes-sarcasm.jpg

Advertisement